Importance of research to a med student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

makauzi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in the process of picking a school and I so far I have the option of either Meharry or EVMS. Now, I like both schools, well EVMS just a tiny bit more than Meharry (very tiny). During the "get to know current med students" part of the interview at Meharry, the students really emphasized the importance of research to a med student and that with published research you are likely to be more competitive when it comes to residences than without. During my interview at EVMS,I did mention that I would be interested in research, but they told me the school does not offer much research. Is it true that research is that important to a med student? This is one topic I am relatively unfamiliar with and getting more insight on it would really help me in picking the right school. I have done a masters in biology so I do understand how research works, even though I know research in med school is different. Thanks in advance all.

Members don't see this ad.

depends what residency you're interested in. it can be critical if you're going into a super-competitive field.

So do you think it would be a good idea to choose a school that offers research and do some research while there just to be safe?

Members don't see this ad :)
So do you think it would be a good idea to choose a school that offers research and do some research while there just to be safe?

You should pick the school that you think will give you the best medical education and location where you'll be happiest.

As mentioned, you'll probably want research (=publications) under your belt if you want a competitive residency. But I wouldn't worry about that right now. Focus on doing well in MS-1.

Neither EVMS nor Meharry are major research medical schools, but that doesn't mean you can't do it somewhere else during the summer between M1 and M2.

Are you IS @ EVMS? If so, consider that it would be substantially cheaper.

Last edited:
Thanks for starting this thread makauzi b/c I was wondering the same thing.

Question for people: I know that if one plans on going into surgery as their specialty then they should do research during med school. But what other competitive specialties require research?

Thanks for your input. I am OOS at both, so either way i will end up with a **** load of debt, that is why I am more concerned about the opportunities offered by the school rather than the cost. I remember one of the second years at Meharry mentioned she did her research at Mayo. I think I will do the same, choose the school I like and do research somewhere else. Thank you all.

Status
Not open for further replies.