Importance of USMLE step 2CK for EM match as a DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDoc_OC

Sacrifice brings forth the blessings of heaven
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a DO if you score over 240 on USMLE step one, do you think its still important to take USMLE step 2 on top of COMLEX step 2 if you want to match into an ACGME residency?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

As a DO if you score over 240 on USMLE step one, do you think its still important to take USMLE step 2 on top of COMLEX step 2 if you want to match into an ACGME residency?

Thanks

DO here.

You have one shot, one opportunity, are you gonna capture it? Or let it slip?

Take the step 2 ck.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Also a DO at an ACGME program. Did not meet any DO's on the trail who were applying ACGME without both steps completed and all the DO's at my program have it. Not taking it would make you look lazy/complacent and would make you tough to compare directly to the other applicants which could be disastrous come rank time.

Reactions: 1 user
Agee with above statemets. You already aced step 1, and step 2 is enormously less painful. Might as well bring it home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DO at an ACGME program here. Agree with all of the above. Just make sure you do as well or better on Step 2. Which shouldnt be too tricky, it is much easier. PDs want to compare apples to apples on paper. As the above have said, you only get one shot, dont waste it. Yes, it is expensive and time consuming, but worth it come Match day.

You've proven you can do well on step 1 - Take USMLE Step 2 and make sure you take it early enough that scores will be released prior to the beginning of interview season. It's better to have the scores available at the beginning then if they come out partway through interview season and you have to rerelease and then make sure that programs actually received the updated scores.

Aside from the extra $$ that is obnoxious, you study for USMLE 2, and at the very end you read through the green OMM book, and you're ready for both exams.

You've proven you can do well on step 1 - Take USMLE Step 2 and make sure you take it early enough that scores will be released prior to the beginning of interview season. It's better to have the scores available at the beginning then if they come out partway through interview season and you have to rerelease and then make sure that programs actually received the updated scores.

Aside from the extra $$ that is obnoxious, you study for USMLE 2, and at the very end you read through the green OMM book, and you're ready for both exams.

DO here at an ACGME program. You can only hurt yourself by not taking 2CK.

I'd also like to add since COMLEX is a much more random test so there's always a risk of getting a worse score. I know a number of people that dropped. On the other hand, everyone that took Step 2 CK scored higher than their Step 1 score. Put in the time and you'll be fine.

What score should we be shooting for? 230+? 240+? I am supposed to take it soon but got sub 220 on uwsa