Important of Prestige vs Best Fit for Fellowships/JObs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PMRDOC2019

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So good news is that I just matched PM&R; bad news is that it wasn't exactly the most prestigious or well known program. I had interviews at the top places (Harvard, Mayo, UCLA) but wasn't able to match at one of those big name programs. As I already rotated at the program I matched to, I know I will be extremely happy there as a resident. The only thing that bugs me is that I had a chance to get one of the big names but it just didn't work out.

I was just wondering how important the "prestige" of the program matters for future fellowships (Sports&Spine/Pain) or job prospects. Will it significantly affect my future? Thanks and congrats to all others who just matched!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Can't cry over spilt milk. Rock it in residency and I'm pretty sure you will be highly employable.

Congrats on being apart of the best specialty in medicine!

Just find a mentor when you start, learn a lot, be available and go the extra mile and you will get what your looking for

Members don't see this ad :)
In so far as working out of residency, if you are doing your residency in the region that will help, if not there are only a handful of markets I would consider truly tough to get a job in, if you are flexible there are plenty of jobs out there. Additionally, spine fellowships are pretty easy to match into since they are unaccredited. There are also numerous unaccredited pain fellowships which are less competitive then the accredited ones. Accredited sports and pain are the two tough ones and getting more competitive. I recommend doing research in the area you want, working closely with the doc in your program who does what you want if there are no fellowships at your institution, and developing a good relationship with your PD since they will be able to make calls for you to fellowships (I saw the success of this over the trail with a pain applicant who matched an incredibly prestigious pain position b/c the PD really put work in for him). Good luck, wish the best for you!

I think prestige is horribly overrated and personality matters way more. And clinical skills.

Hoenstly most doctors or administrators I meet never really care where you went. They care if they like you or not.

Reactions: 1 user