Important question about DAT!!! Please help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fan2342

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

So I was originally planning on taking the DAT in July 2017 but I have been thinking about taking it first week of January 2017. I would study all winter break and would be coming off of orgo 1 a&p and genetics. I need a minimum of 19 AA and TS to stay in my program so do you think this is advisable or doable if I study 10 hours a day during winter break for the whole month?

Please help
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

There is a bit of organic 2 on the DAT. Where organic 1 is mostly naming and understanding resonance and arrow pushing, just know that organic 2 is about synthesis and is kinda a different thing. If your science is strong and your solid in the PAT and RC then winter break will be enough. But just recognize what your strengths and weaknesses are.
Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you can manage a 19 by then!

Just be consistent and focused with studying. I think not taking orgo 2 will not affect you too much as long as the concepts from orgo 1 are solid. Orgo 1 will really help set you up for the material in orgo 2. As said on other threads, use Chads Videos and Destroyer for chemistry, and you should be ready.

Good luck!

I think you can manage a 19 by then!

Just be consistent and focused with studying. I think not taking orgo 2 will not affect you too much as long as the concepts from orgo 1 are solid. Orgo 1 will really help set you up for the material in orgo 2. As said on other threads, use Chads Videos and Destroyer for chemistry, and you should be ready.

Good luck!
What study materials should I use? Chads videos, DAT destroyer and just then bio notes?

What study materials should I use? Chads videos, DAT destroyer and just then bio notes?

Yes for gen chem and orgo, use Chads and Destroyer. Watch the videos and take detailed notes as well as all the quiz questions. For me, Destroyer was very helpful - I went through it 2 times and made flash cards of reactions and everyday reviewed them until they became solid in my memory. This was enough to get me a 25 TS.

For bio, I used Cliffs AP bio, Feralis notes, and Destroyer. Also used google and Khans for some concepts. Again, make flash cards of difficult concepts (especially hormones).

Math - Math Destroyer. Although I wish I spent more time, instead of last 2 weeks :/

For timing purposes, you may want to use DAT Bootcamp or other similar software. Also, I would suggest practicing PAT now if you have the time (if it needs to be improved, since one month will not be enough). However, PAT came natural to me, and I felt practicing did not improve it any more so I spent minimum time on this. But again, depends on how "natural" it feels for you.

Let me know if you have more questions. I also have some study material left over (notes, Destroyer) if you are interested.

Cheers!

Chad's Videos (do this first), DAT Destroyer (go through everything and read all the solutions, even if you get a question right), Feralis' Biology Notes (Look through this throughout your studying), and DAT Bootcamp (save the practice exams for last but do the PAT practice consistently)