Important questions to ask on dermatology interviews (residents and faculty)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dermd0c

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I am about to go on my first interview and I have searched for a thread about questions the interviewee should ask the interviewer but I can't seem to find one. I guess I'm asking if there are any great questions that you derm people wish you had asked when you were interviewing and if there are any questions you get asked as interviewers that are impressive and make you think "well that's a darn good question!". Here's a list I came up with so far. Thanks for all help!

-How does the schedule break down as far as time spent in different clinics (if there are different clinics)? Also how does a residents autonomy change (if at all) from PGY2, 3, 4 and how are their schedules different?
-Is there resident continuity with patients? i.e. do the residents have their own continuity clinic?
-What is your pathology training like? are there practice exams before in training? is there one or several dermatopathologists teaching?
-How does board review work? Have you been happy with the board results?
-How many locations do the residents work at? is there an inpatient hospital then a clinic then a VA then private offices etc.? Do residents ever have to travel between two different cites on the same day? on that note, are there multiple EMRs or just one?
-What are didactics like? what is the style of grand rounds? i.e. is it live patients? pictures? or case presentations?
-How is the surgical training? Is it spread out in blocks or do residents have a surgery day each week or two weeks throughout the year? Are residents the primary surgeon on excisions? What is the residents role in Mohs surgery? Are they allowed to perform complex procedures like flaps, grafts etc. or do they simply put in top sutures?
-Do particular faculty have special interests as far as being the "go to guy for ____" or interested in certain research? How many of the faculty are full time and how often do you see the part time faculty (i.e. do they come in once a year to do a lecture or are they around more often)?
-What is the research requirement? Do residents hop onto an attending's project or are they encouraged to create their own project?
-What are your graduates doing now? What percentage go onto fellowship vs academics vs private practice?
-what is call like? how much autonomy do the residents have when on call? i.e. some places the resident goes and sees the consult, does the biopsy, writes the note, then calls the attending vs other places the resident has to wait for the attending to do the biopsy etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users