Improvement Suggestions - Where to go?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SissyAlice

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I've officially decided to take a year or two off before I apply. I'm not sure if I should spend that year in a post-bacc/masters program(with volunteering) or just volunteering and getting medical experience.

Here's my break down:

High School College gpa: 3.2(small amount of credits, probably won't bring me down much)
Freshman Year: 3.4
Sophomore Year: 3.8
Junior Year(Current): 3.7
Next year should be a breeze for me... At least 3.7 :laugh:

MCAT: Next spring

ECs:
-Tutoring: 2 years(current & future)
-Prof Org Leadership: 1 year(current & future)
-Research: 1 year(current & future)
-Education Related Work: 1 year(current & future) (+1 yr if you count proctoring..)
-Tae kwon do: 3 years(no longer doing it, should I even include?)

Volunteering:
-2 children's programs my freshman year, currently discontinued
-VA hospital: 1 summer 24 hrs/wk, probably will continue next summer

I've also participated in several faculty interviews as well as "lunches" with speakers at my school. Don't even know if that should go on my app. I know that I should definitely up my ECs, especially volunteering - but don't know the best way to go about it(SMP or no). My issue is I do a lot of short term stuff for 1 day or 1 week, which really isn't worthy of the app imo. I also like changing what I do a lot which probably makes me seem like a flake :(

Thanks for input!

Members don't see this ad.

So you'll have about a 3.6 and you're considering an SMP? Man, this place makes people neurotic.

So you'll have about a 3.6 and you're considering an SMP? Man, this place makes people neurotic.

Haha, well I don't plan on going to SMPs that are just for those with low gpas. Some of the ones that interest me are Tulane's MS in Pharmacology(I'm a pharmaceutics major) or Touro's MS which has guaranteed admission for those with a B+ average.

I realize that my GPA is fine, but I'm going to have time off so if I can improve my chances with more schooling why not.

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, so I've officially decided to take a year or two off before I apply. I'm not sure if I should spend that year in a post-bacc/masters program(with volunteering) or just volunteering and getting medical experience.

Here's my break down:

High School College gpa: 3.2(small amount of credits, probably won't bring me down much)
Freshman Year: 3.4
Sophomore Year: 3.8
Junior Year(Current): 3.7
Next year should be a breeze for me... At least 3.7 :laugh:

MCAT: Next spring

ECs:
-Tutoring: 2 years(current & future)
-Prof Org Leadership: 1 year(current & future)
-Research: 1 year(current & future)
-Education Related Work: 1 year(current & future) (+1 yr if you count proctoring..)
-Tae kwon do: 3 years(no longer doing it, should I even include?)

Volunteering:
-2 children's programs my freshman year, currently discontinued
-VA hospital: 1 summer 24 hrs/wk, probably will continue next summer

I've also participated in several faculty interviews as well as "lunches" with speakers at my school. Don't even know if that should go on my app. I know that I should definitely up my ECs, especially volunteering - but don't know the best way to go about it(SMP or no). My issue is I do a lot of short term stuff for 1 day or 1 week, which really isn't worthy of the app imo. I also like changing what I do a lot which probably makes me seem like a flake :(

Thanks for input!

What's your science GPA? Any publications with your research? I would include martial arts - I think althetics add a dimension. Find one or two volunteering outlets and stick with it/them. If you're taking 2 years off, you have enough time to some kind of certification (tech) so you could get paid for your time with patients.

What's your science GPA? Any publications with your research? I would include martial arts - I think althetics add a dimension. Find one or two volunteering outlets and stick with it/them. If you're taking 2 years off, you have enough time to some kind of certification (tech) so you could get paid for your time with patients.

I have 1 pub, probably going to have another within the next year. sGPA is right on with cGPA +/- 0.1.

I really wanted to include the martial arts thing because I think it shaped me, but I've been getting conflicting opinions as to whether I should include it because I never got my black belt and quit because it cost too much.

I'm really into the idea of getting some sort of cert, my mom teaches CNA and phlebotomy - so those are options. Only thing is, my bf(soon to be hubby) is military - so unless I'm in school I'll be moving around.

Thanks for the input!

Yeah, I don't think an SMP is necessary, OP, however in the even that you do choose to undertake an SMP program, your GPA will be higher, you'll add more EC's, and you will open up an entire tier of schools for yourself. So if you are interested in going to Chicago or UPitt, go for the SMP. If you're simply interested in going to medical school, I would SAVE the money, and just beef up my EC's/get another lab job somewhere/make money/enjoy life.

Sorry for being ignorant, but might as well jump on the bandwagon here. What is "High School College GPA" ? Is that your total hs gpa? or the GPA from your AP classes?

Yeah, I don't think an SMP is necessary, OP, however in the even that you do choose to undertake an SMP program, your GPA will be higher, you'll add more EC's, and you will open up an entire tier of schools for yourself. So if you are interested in going to Chicago or UPitt, go for the SMP. If you're simply interested in going to medical school, I would SAVE the money, and just beef up my EC's/get another lab job somewhere/make money/enjoy life.

Sorry for being ignorant, but might as well jump on the bandwagon here. What is "High School College GPA" ? Is that your total hs gpa? or the GPA from your AP classes?

Thanks for the input.

I went to community college instead of regular classes during high school. Basically I spent my days hanging out with friends who were doing the same thing. I didn't realize the effect it'd have on me during college :laugh: