improving acedemic credential?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PodDPM

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need an advise of improving academic credentials. Is it better to repeat courses or take random classes n get A?
I talked to advisers about it. Different advisers have different opinion. I am wondering if anybody has been to this situation.

I have 180 credits from university. I am planning on to take some classes at community college in summer. I am not sure if I shud repeat courses the ones I got C- or just take some classes n ace them. either way it will show upward trend but which one would effect more on overall gpa?

Thank in advance

Members don't see this ad.

I need an advise of improving academic credentials. Is it better to repeat courses or take random classes n get A?
I talked to advisers about it. Different advisers have different opinion. I am wondering if anybody has been to this situation.

I have 180 credits from university. I am planning on to take some classes at community college in summer. I am not sure if I shud repeat courses the ones I got C- or just take some classes n ace them. either way it will show upward trend but which one would effect more on overall gpa?

Thank in advance

Repeating some classes that you did poorly in and doing significantly better would have more of an impact on increasing your gpa if your university replaces your old grade with the new one. It would not have as much of an impact on your cGPA if they take the average of the two grades for the same class. Despite how your university would handle calculating your new GPA all that matters is how the AACPMAS would calculate it. The AACPMAS takes the averaged grade of repeated courses and enters it into your new calculated gpa.

Calculating GPA follows this simple formula: total grade points/ total credits taken

When you repeat courses you do NOT increase total credits taken but, if you perform significantly better, WILL INCREASE total grade points

Taking more classes you haven't taken before will increase both total grade points and total credits taken
---------------------------------------------------

Each undergrad/ grad school award a different amount of total grade points per credit of a letter grade but let's use this scale for simplicity sake:

A = 4 pts per credit
A- = 3.7 per credit
B+ = 3.3 per credit
B = 3 pre credit
C+ = 2.7 "
C = 2 "
C- = 1.7 "
D+ = 1.3 "
D = 1 "
----------------------------------------------------

Example: Joe and John Smith go to Duke University and have both taken forty 4-credit courses. Both have scored all B's in all courses. Both have a cumulative gpa of 3.0. Both are planning to apply to Podiatry school. Joe decides to REPEAT 10 courses and gets A's in all of them. John decides to take ANOTHER 10 courses and get's A's in all of them. According to the AACPM application service (AACPMAS) they take the AVERAGED grade of repeated courses when calculating a studen'ts final cGPA. Following this their gpas would now be:

Before: Joe and John's gpa

40 x 4 x 3 pts per credit = 480 total grade pts/ 160 total credits = 3.0 cGPA

After: Joe's GPA

1) 10 original taken courses x 4 credits x 3 pts per credit = 120 total grade pts

2) 10 repeated taken courses x 4 credits x 4 pts per credit = 160 total grade pts

3) Average total grade pts: 120 + 160/ 2 = 140

4) Joe gained 20 total grade pts by repeating 10 courses where he received a B and now received an A

5)

30 original taken courses x 4 credits x 3 pts per credit = 360 total grade pts

Averaged total grade pts from the repeated courses: 140 total grade pts

500 total grade pts/ 160 total credits = 3.125 = 3.13 cGPA

After: John's GPA:

1) 40 original courses taken x 4 credits per course x 3 pts per credit = 480 total grade pts

2) 10 new/ different courses taken x 4 credits per course x 4 pts per credit = 160 total grade pts

3) NOW John has earned 640 total grade pts and taken 200 total credits

4) 640 total grade pts/ 200 total credits = 3.2 cGPA

I do not believe so unless they are science pre-reqs. As the previous poster points out (and did a very good job by the way), your GPA is effected, but not as much as if you take a whole new class and ace it. Podiatry schools are not like DO schools (there is not grade forgiveness/replacement), instead the average of the two are taken (i.e. c = 2.0, retake: a = 4.0, thus the average = 3.0 or a B). By earning an "A" in a C class, you've increased your Grade Points by 1 (times the number of credit hours the class was), and your credits remain the same.

And a good upward trend is great! Best of luck to you my friend! :luck:

Thank you so much studywithfury n Sabin. You guys made my big confusion clear.