Improving app before MS3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Oto2014

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi.
I'm an MD/PhD student finishing up my PhD right now. I have my thesis defense in a few weeks and then a few relatively free months where I'll just be submitting a couple more papers and presenting at a conference before I start MS3. I'm an engineering grad student who has been working on nanotech/rad onc-related research (including a new project involving head and neck tumor models) so my PhD research is at least somewhat ENT related. One of my thesis committee members is a faculty member in my home ENT department and during my PhD I've been able to scrub in on a few ENT cases. I have really loved the anatomy and procedures, and the residents and attendings I've met have all been great people and teachers. I also really like the diversity of cases and the variety of research available in ENT (everything from tumors to implanted devices) and the fact that it’s got both significant medical and surgical components.

With the few months before going back to MS3 is there anything I can do to help my chances of matching in ENT? My step I score is in the 230s and I know that's below average, so I'm looking to work on anything else to make myself a better applicant. I met with my home PD and he suggested I spend some time in clinic so I plan to do that, but is there anything else you’d suggest?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You're in good shape. Do decently well in your M3 rotations and you will almost certainly match.

I think you're in decent shape as well.

You could enhance your application by doing the following:
1. Score >250 on Step II
2. Making sure your LORs are solid
3. Making a splash during your acting internships. Remember, you don't have to do much to make a splash. The simple fact of the matter is that if you are attentive, proactive, educated, friendly and hard-working, you'll be noticed more than the loud mouth gunner who seems to know every answer in the book and gladly accepts the invitation to kiss someone's ass and take out the trash.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you both for the advice and the encouragement!

I think you're in decent shape as well.

You could enhance your application by doing the following:
1. Score >250 on Step II
2. Making sure your LORs are solid
3. Making a splash during your acting internships. Remember, you don't have to do much to make a splash. The simple fact of the matter is that if you are attentive, proactive, educated, friendly and hard-working, you'll be noticed more than the loud mouth gunner who seems to know every answer in the book and gladly accepts the invitation to kiss someone's ass and take out the trash.

#3 is perfect! You gave a very detailed direct-hit description of a student in my medical school. :laugh: