In a way we're all gamblers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunsetpeach

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Putting thousands of dollars, spending months studying for the DAT, years taking classes...yet in the end, it only pays off for a select few. :(

Members don't see this ad.

haha Oh come on... life is a gamble! Maybe you should try the whole glass half full...

A gamble implies luck. This isn't about luck (unless you want to say genetic disposition is based on luck). It's more about ability and desire.

Members don't see this ad :)
Stupid thread.

Having good stats is not a gamble.

maybe its not so much a gamble for somewith with a 3.8/25dat. but for the many others like with a 3.5/20 its just a good shot, no gurantees.

maybe its not so much a gamble for somewith with a 3.8/25dat. but for the many others like with a 3.5/20 its just a good shot, no gurantees.
Okay so I worded the title badly. For those with really high stats, they can probably get into any school they want so they don't need luck.
A gamble implies luck. This isn't about luck (unless you want to say genetic disposition is based on luck). It's more about ability and desire.

Those with higher stats have a better chance than others, but there's still an element of luck a little bit.
haha Oh come on... life is a gamble! Maybe you should try the whole glass half full...
yea maybe I should be more optimistic. Just been down cuz i've gotten no interview invites yet.

its all luck.
luck being preparedness meeting opportunity.

You simply hedge your bets by getting good grades, getting a good DAT, good LOR and being invovled in things that draw positive attention to your self. If you do all that and still dont get in? then go to plan B, which you had the whole time. DO, PA, NP, OD, are great careers too. But I think given enough years, effort, and applications somone with okay numbers can make it in.

I know what you mean by gambling. i often thought about not making it and end up with a useless bio degree. thats y i busted my ass off.

I know what you mean by gambling. i often thought about not making it and end up with a useless bio degree. thats y i busted my ass off.
ah, nice to see someone who empathizes with me.

On an unrelated note, I find it interesting that your predent stat says you're 21 and have 7 children. :)

You simply hedge your bets by getting good grades, getting a good DAT, good LOR and being invovled in things that draw positive attention to your self. If you do all that and still dont get in? then go to plan B, which you had the whole time. DO, PA, NP, OD, are great careers too. But I think given enough years, effort, and applications somone with okay numbers can make it in.

Yup, I agree. Pardon me but what is DO and OD
its all luck.
luck being preparedness meeting opportunity.
that's what they all say...

Good job working hard but I think it was under false pretenses. A four year degree in general will help you with any field you desire to persue except for specialized fields that require a license (like dentistry). My brother in law went from teller to high level management in a bank in four years with a degree in liberal arts. In alot of ways yes you may start off like everyone else but if you're a good employee you can find yourself advancing because you have a degree... not to mention the whole point of a degree isnt to just complete it but to be educated - which should set you apart from others even if your degree was took away from you.

** DO = doctor of osteopathic medicine - like MD but less competitive; OD = eye doctor... non MD.

Last edited:
Good job working hard but I think it was under false pretenses. A four year degree in general will help you with any field you desire to persue except for specialized fields that require a license (like dentistry). My brother in law went from teller to high level management in a bank in four years with a degree in liberal arts. In alot of ways yes you may start off like everyone else but if you're a good employee you can find yourself advancing because you have a degree... not to mention the whole point of a degree isnt to just complete it but to be educated - which should set you apart from others even if your degree was took away from you.

** DO = doctor of osteopathic medicine - like MD but less competitive; OD = eye doctor... non MD.

Oh yea....how could I forget what OD is. For some strange reason, all of the eye doctors I have ever went to--and I went to many because I get glasses every two years--try to talk me out of ever becoming an OD. They all say it doesn't pay well if you work for other people and business is slow if you run your own office.

A degree can help advance you further if you already have a few years of experience. But a degree alone without experience (someone fresh outta college) is sometimes not enough.