In Dilemma.. What to do??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Retake or Not

• Retake

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Don't Retake them

Votes: 10 66.7%

• Total voters

Moose0102

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN users!
I am a new member in this forum..
It is such a nice website full of information..
I just have a quick question regarding to my situation..

I am currently in dilemma of re-taking DAT or not.
My ‘Dream School’ is U Penn but I heard that they have High GPA and DAT requirement.
Also as an international student, I do not know whether my stat is sufficient enough.
(I really do understand that number is NOT the only factor, but if I can increase slim chance of getting in, I want to improve on it..)

But the thing that I am concerned is the cost of retaking and what if I get lower score in certain section sort of things.

So, I am Canadian Student with current GPA of 3.6.
My DAT is 20AA 20TS with 19 PAT (with no section below 17).
I have bunch of ECs but these are some of the stuffs that ordinary applicants do. (i.e. there are no surprising EC such as getting huge national prize or something..)
I did complete my shadowing hours and I am very passionate about dentistry.

Should I retake it before I apply next cycle or not??
(i.e. Do I have slim chance of getting an interview or acceptance with these stats:S)

Any comments are appreciated:)

Members don't see this ad.

I think the question you should ask yourself is, what makes me stand out among the other hundreds of applicants? Your scores are solid they show you are competent and can attend a dental school, but why should you get an interview/acceptance over another student who has the same stats? Being out of state makes getting an interview hard, and being an International student only makes things even harder. Your P.S. and E.C.s can easily be the difference from getting an interview and not getting one.

I'm sure there's a chance, but if it were me and Penn was my dream school, I would re-take the DAT.
According to the ADEA Guide, their mean DAT is 21 AA, 21 PAT, 21 Sci.
Ranges are 17-28 AA, 17-30 PAT, and 17-30 SCI.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the question you should ask yourself is, what makes me stand out among the other hundreds of applicants? Your scores are solid they show you are competent and can attend a dental school, but why should you get an interview/acceptance over another student who has the same stats? Being out of state makes getting an interview hard, and being an International student only makes things even harder. Your P.S. and E.C.s can easily be the difference from getting an interview and not getting one.
Thanks for your suggestion! I will get working on my P.S and continue with all of my E.Cs. I just wanted to know whether I am crazy to apply with this stats. Thank you so much for your suggestion! :bow:

I'm sure there's a chance, but if it were me and Penn was my dream school, I would re-take the DAT.
According to the ADEA Guide, their mean DAT is 21 AA, 21 PAT, 21 Sci.
Ranges are 17-28 AA, 17-30 PAT, and 17-30 SCI.
Thanks for your ssuggestion. I actually am thinking that I am going to re-take the DAT in this June or sometime before I apply this cycle.
(one thing that worries me is that as an international student, sort of feel that I need sky high DAT like <25AA,TS.. But what ever, I will have to aim for high score:p)
Thanks again!

The ADEA guide says UDM accepted 20 Canadians for the class entering Fall 2013.