In memoriam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ludicolo

Fib Hunter
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
From the AANEM:

I am saddened to inform you that two active Fellow members of the AANEM recently passed away.

Dr. Lisa S. Krivickas passed away on September 22, 2009, from ALS. Lisa was the Associate Professor of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (PMR) at Harvard Medical School, Associate Chair of Academic Affairs, Associate Chief of PMR at Massachusetts General Hospital, Director of the Muscle Cell Physiology Laboratory at Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital, and Director of EMG at Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital. She authored over 70 publications and served on the editorial board of several scientific journals. Lisa asked that we celebrate her life and her accomplishments rather than focus on the illness or the last days of her life. Lisa was on the Board of the American Board of Electrodiagnostic Medicine (ABEM), on many AANEM committees and a frequent speaker at the AANEM annual meeting. Lisa gave the Richard K. Olney Lecture at the 2008 meeting and courageously announced her diagnosis of ALS at the meeting. Lisa is this year’s recipient of the AANEM Researcher Award.

Dr. David D. Kilmer also passed away earlier this month. David served as Professor and Chair of the Department of PMR at UC Davis Medical Center in Sacramento, CA, and as Director of the PMR Electrodiagnostic Laboratory. David had been a speaker at the AANEM annual meeting on several occasions and served on the AANEM Course Committee.

Everyone who knew David and Lisa personally will miss their friendship. All of us will miss the contributions they have made to the fields of electrodiagnostic and neuromuscular medicine.

Members don't see this ad.

I remember meeting Dr. Krivickas at the AAP two years ago when I gave my oral presentation. I was so nervous but Dr. Krivickas was sitting towards the front and I kept making eye contact with her throughout the presentation. She somehow had a calming effect on me - she would smile at my remarks reassuringly and nod when I was explaining my research. Afterwards, she came up to me and congratulated me on my research and presentation. I remember thinking about how lucky the Spaulding residents must be to have someone like her around. I did not know about her diagnosis. It truly is a shame that so many brilliant young physiatrists have passed in the past few years.... Dr. Nadler, Dr. McLean, etc. etc.... :(

Scott Nadler was the very first physiatrist I met. Amazing role model. It is sad to think about who we've lost recently.