In Memory Of...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
We have to euthanize our cat Tiki this afternoon. :(
She has been with us 17 of the 18 years we have been married. (5/9/98 - later this afternoon).

She has been fighting through lymphoma and CKD for the last 4 months like a trooper. Has still been affectionate, eating, and demanding our attention, but from this morning she has significant neurological deficits. I guess it is time. She has basically never been sick in her life before this. She was always the healthy one in this household.

She has lived with us in 8 different homes, dealt with IG pets and fosters, and moved cross country 2 times. She has come with us on a few trips (S.F., Las Vegas, Palm Springs, San Diego, and Silvermine, CT). She was always happiest in quiet nature where we would take her accompanied outside. When we lived in a condo, we had to build her a plexiglas bridge to use to stop her from jumping from balcony to balcony when she was outside.

Oddly for a cat, she loved cold stone surfaces (she always insisted on natural stone... nothing cheap and artificial for her) until recently when she needed warmth for thermoregulation.

She remains curious, loving and alert until the end.
We will miss her greatly.

:love:

-SOV and MrsSOV

<I will try to get a photo in later/another day, but I don't know how to upload files anymore, and I don't really use photo sites...maybe I will like to a FB photo that I will change the settings on to general public>

Members don't see this ad.

She has been with us 17 of the 18 years we have been married. (5/9/98 - later this afternoon).

She has been fighting through lymphoma and CKD for the last 4 months like a trooper. Has still been affectionate, eating, and demanding our attention, but from this morning she has significant neurological deficits. I guess it is time. She has basically never been sick in her life before this. She was always the healthy one in this household.

She has lived with us in 8 different homes, dealt with IG pets and fosters, and moved cross country 2 times. She has come with us on a few trips (S.F., Las Vegas, Palm Springs, San Diego, and Silvermine, CT). She was always happiest in quiet nature where we would take her accompanied outside. When we lived in a condo, we had to build her a plexiglas bridge to use to stop her from jumping from balcony to balcony when she was outside.

Oddly for a cat, she loved cold stone surfaces (she always insisted on natural stone... nothing cheap and artificial for her) until recently when she needed warmth for thermoregulation.

-SOV and MrsSOV

<I will try to get a photo in later/another day, but I don't know how to upload files anymore, and I don't really use photo sites...maybe I will like to a FB photo that I will change the settings on to general public>
Heart aches for you both, but love that she lived a full life and gave you so many great memories!

Reactions: 1 user
So, so sorry. It sounds like she has had an incredible life with great people who love her. That is a special thing.

Many hugs to you and Mrs. SOV.

Members don't see this ad :)
So sorry SOV. I agree with others, it sounds like she had a very wonderful life.

My heart hurts for you. We put one of our kitties, Fat Jackie, to sleep earlier this week. She had an abdominal ultrasound in February that showed 2 masses - one on her spleen and the other on her pancreas. The pancreatic mass was malignant and since she also had kidney disease and heart disease we opted for supportive care only. On Monday she stopped eating and really wasn't herself anymore so we made the incredibly difficult decision to say goodbye to the best cat we've ever had. I truly feel euthanasia is the greatest gift we can give them sometimes.

Run free Tiki and Fat Jackie

ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1428807631.351256.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

-SOV and MrsSOV

So sorry for your loss. Sounds like she had an amazing life.

-SOV and MrsSOV

I'm so sorry to hear that, SOV :(. Sending thoughts your way!

In memory of Posey and Molly. :) Posey was born with FeLV and passed away shortly after her first birthday. My first animal rescue experience was with FELV and FIV+ cats at an amazing shelter, and I feel like she led me there. Molly was a Great Dane and (incorrectly) thought to have osteosarcoma at approximately age 4. Looking at the spondylosis and potentially cancerous spot on her X-rays was heart breaking, but at the same time I felt an intense curiosity to understand the diagnostic process. That was when I knew I could do the "hard stuff" and really needed to pursue vet school.

Dragging this up from the depths.

I said goodbye to my kitty yesterday. I knew I couldn't do it at my own office (even if someone else did it), so I went to the local ER. They had a wonderful family euthanasia room and he was able to pass away snuggled up on my chest, laying on one of the couches. He's been my best friend for 15 years, and helped me through so much.
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1446059948.220745.jpg

Dragging this up from the depths.

I said goodbye to my kitty yesterday. I knew I couldn't do it at my own office (even if someone else did it), so I went to the local ER. They had a wonderful family euthanasia room and he was able to pass away snuggled up on my chest, laying on one of the couches. He's been my best friend for 15 years, and helped me through so much.
View attachment 197387

I'm so, so sorry for your loss. He's beautiful! I just lost my sweet baby Apollo in June. It hurt so much, even though I only had him for 2 years. We adopted him when he was 16 years old, his owner was an elderly man who passed away and the man's daughter inherited the cat in his will. She didn't want him, and brought him to my clinic to be euthanized even though he was completely healthy. The vet I worked for refused, and he instead became one of our clinic adoptions. He spent 8 months there before I got hired, and on my first day, I brought him home. He ended up getting hyperthyroidism a year and a half later, which masked his kidney failure in his yearly blood work.. He died on a Sunday night, at my clinic, in my arms. I still cry just thinking about him.
You are in my thoughts during this time, I know how horrible you must be feeling and I am sorry.
10649717_10201545358756238_628406061938136604_n.jpg

I haven't been on this thread in a while, but I'd like to commemorate Orville Oliver Phillip (with our last name, his initials spell OOPS :p ), July 2014- March 27, 2015. He has been the hardest dog I have ever lost. He was fun, excited, loving, smart. I've never been more thankful for the concept of bloodwork. Had we not done his bloodwork before his neuter, we never would have known he had developed kidney failure. But that didn't stop him. He was only 5 months old after all. His meds became a game of sit, wait, GO!, and seek. But on March 25, he was obviously not feeling well. He didn't want to go outside and play in the snow. Went to the vet and was given fluids and he was himself again. On March 26, he was worse than before. I texted my dad to tell him we had to talk when he got home. When he did, I told him that he needed to call mom to tell her to get off work early. When she got home, I told her we had to take him in the next morning, that it was time. She didn't want to, and I knew she wouldn't, and that's why I told her we had to. There was no way we couldn't. On March 27, we took him in and said good bye to our beautiful 8 month old baby.

We miss you, doggy face. I can't believe how much I miss you seven months later. I'm glad you feel better and are having a blast.

I tried posting a few cute pictures, but they're too big. lol.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm so, so sorry for your loss. He's beautiful! I just lost my sweet baby Apollo in June. It hurt so much, even though I only had him for 2 years. We adopted him when he was 16 years old, his owner was an elderly man who passed away and the man's daughter inherited the cat in his will. She didn't want him, and brought him to my clinic to be euthanized even though he was completely healthy. The vet I worked for refused, and he instead became one of our clinic adoptions. He spent 8 months there before I got hired, and on my first day, I brought him home. He ended up getting hyperthyroidism a year and a half later, which masked his kidney failure in his yearly blood work.. He died on a Sunday night, at my clinic, in my arms. I still cry just thinking about him.
You are in my thoughts during this time, I know how horrible you must be feeling and I am sorry.

I'm so sorry @katryn . It's so hard to lose them :(

@hazelmoo - So sorry to hear about your old man but I imagine his last 2 years were the best he had!
You make me feel not so crazy for adopting a 16 yo kitty a couple months back. I will be THRILLED if he gives us 2 years ... but he has moderate kidney disease :(

Esteban.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
I'm so sorry @katryn . It's so hard to lose them :(

@hazelmoo - So sorry to hear about your old man but I imagine his last 2 years were the best he had!
You make me feel not so crazy for adopting a 16 yo kitty a couple months back. I will be THRILLED if he gives us 2 years ... but he has moderate kidney disease :(

View attachment 197394

You're not crazy!! I can't imagine not having an old kitty in my life after Apollo. You don't have as much time with them, and it hurts so much to lose them.. But you're giving them their quiet last years in a loving home. And they can give you so much love! That in itself is an amazing gift.
Your baby looks so cute and happy! I'm so glad he found you!

Last edited:
You make me feel not so crazy for adopting a 16 yo kitty a couple months back.

OMG, it's not crazy - it's compassionate. (I mean, that cat in the picture is OBVIOUSLY suffering. :) ) You just need to have realistic expectations, which you obviously do.

Good on you for giving an older cat a good home to enjoy its senior years.

Reactions: 2 users
I felt a little bad about wanting a kitten after Slater died, but I guess I just wanted something young and cute and full of life.

I still swear I hear Tater coughing sometimes. I know that's weird. I miss him though.