In need of a summer job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hesamdna

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I am a newly admitted dental student and I am graduating from my master's program in May which means I won't be getting any student loans anymore. I really am in need of a summer job but I don't know what I can do. I already applied for a summer research program but I doubt that it would pay well even if I end up getting it.
Any advice/ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

takes a few months to start the process but substitute teacher, if their is a need in your area for them.

takes a few months to start the process but substitute teacher, if their is a need in your area for them.
I don't have the money or time to wait for that man! I even thought about serving but I don't even have experience working in restaurants. Damn predental lifestyle!

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't have the money or time to wait for that man! I even thought about serving but I don't even have experience working in restaurants. Damn predental lifestyle!

Exactly what I was going to recommend, quick money, serving is definitely the way to go. I did it all through undergrad. didn't have a lick of experience, have you tried to apply and just been getting ignored? you won't know until you try! I would apply anyways or start by hosting!

Exactly what I was going to recommend, quick money, serving is definitely the way to go. I did it all through undergrad. didn't have a lick of experience, have you tried to apply and just been getting ignored? you won't know until you try! I would apply anyways or start by hosting!

No, I haven't tried yet. I just assumed I'd get denied if I try to apply with no experience. How do I go about it? Do I just go from one restaurant to another with my resume?

I was a server before. Just apply with good, fun personality and you will be given a shot by someone.

No, I haven't tried yet. I just assumed I'd get denied if I try to apply with no experience. How do I go about it? Do I just go from one restaurant to another with my resume?

I literally walked into one restaurant, with no resume (I know, shame on me), asked if they were hiring, they said yes, filled out an application, walked out. Called two days later in regards to my application, had a nice chit chat with management, they asked me in for a quick interview, I left with a training schedule and my W2's filled out. Now sometimes they will get to you before them, but I would just call to follow up, or while you are there, since this is a dire situation (been there), I would ask to personally speak with management, even if briefly, leave a good impression, and if an interview isn't offered on the spot, call back in a couple of days. This is the busiest time of the year for most restaurants, they are actively seeking wait staff, so I would roll the dice and yeah walk in with your resume if you feel it's pertinent (can't hurt) and then always follow up!

I literally walked into one restaurant, with no resume (I know, shame on me), asked if they were hiring, they said yes, filled out an application, walked out. Called two days later in regards to my application, had a nice chit chat with management, they asked me in for a quick interview, I left with a training schedule and my W2's filled out. Now sometimes they will get to you before them, but I would just call to follow up, or while you are there, since this is a dire situation (been there), I would ask to personally speak with management, even if briefly, leave a good impression, and if an interview isn't offered on the spot, call back in a couple of days. This is the busiest time of the year for most restaurants, they are actively seeking wait staff, so I would roll the dice and yeah walk in with your resume if you feel it's pertinent (can't hurt) and then always follow up!

Thank you! This helps a lot specially knowing that you got the job with no experience. That's exactly what I had in mind, to go and ask for the manager. I am just a little hesitant about mentioning that I am a dental student. I think they might either really like it or hate it.

Thank you! This helps a lot specially knowing that you got the job with no experience. That's exactly what I had in mind, to go and ask for the manager. I am just a little hesitant about mentioning that I am a dental student. I think they might either really like it or hate it.

Yeah, leave your personal life out of it as much as possible, until you get the job, then you can tell everyone how awesome you are because you'll be in d-school in Sept. I would really just avoid it, don't lie, just reply to a specific question regarding school, with a vague truthful response. This is where making your resume relevant is important...people come and go and this job is the king of that, don't feel bad knowing you won't be around for long, believe me they'll be fine.

You're Welcome!

If you need money, just do anything.

Yeah, leave your personal life out of it as much as possible, until you get the job, then you can tell everyone how awesome you are because you'll be in d-school in Sept. I would really just avoid it, don't lie, just reply to a specific question regarding school, with a vague truthful response. This is where making your resume relevant is important...people come and go and this job is the king of that, don't feel bad knowing you won't be around for long, believe me they'll be fine.

You're Welcome!
I went to a few restaurants today and interviewed at one. I ended up talking about my dental experience because I feel like I haven't done anything with my life but being involved with dentistry!! I don't have a great feeling about the ones I went to but I am going to do the same exact thing tomorrow. Thanks again for your help!

Nordstrom Summer Job. They hire a lot of ppl for summer and wage is based straight of commission (*queue song "Hustlin' " by Rick Ross)

Hey guys,
I am a newly admitted dental student and I am graduating from my master's program in May which means I won't be getting any student loans anymore. I really am in need of a summer job but I don't know what I can do. I already applied for a summer research program but I doubt that it would pay well even if I end up getting it.
Any advice/ideas?

Kaplan pays very well for their tutors... Apply there.

I went to a few restaurants today and interviewed at one. I ended up talking about my dental experience because I feel like I haven't done anything with my life but being involved with dentistry!! I don't have a great feeling about the ones I went to but I am going to do the same exact thing tomorrow. Thanks again for your help!

There are a lot of places that will hire you with little to no experience as long as you are willing to try. But, whatever you do, do not go in or call during lunch or dinner hours. This may seem like a no-brainer, but my mom has worked in restaurant management forever and whenever someone brings in an application during meal times she immediately throws it away.

Kaplan pays very well for their tutors... Apply there.

This is actually a great idea. I don't know why I didn't think of that myself; I actually took classes with them. Thanks!

There are a lot of places that will hire you with little to no experience as long as you are willing to try. But, whatever you do, do not go in or call during lunch or dinner hours. This may seem like a no-brainer, but my mom has worked in restaurant management forever and whenever someone brings in an application during meal times she immediately throws it away.
That's what I did yesterday I went around 2 3 ish but I guess I kept talking about the wrong stuff. I think now I know what they are looking for.

If you have another interview anywhere do a little research on your phone with a google search. Look for missions statements or how they treat their customer, what make them unique, and repeat (not word for word) how you would treat their customers using their own words, etc. When you do a little research it gives you something to talk about outside of dentistry and cytochrome c. If they sat down with you they needed a server, next time your in front of a manager dont screw up because its better to make the money now then go almost completely broke and wait for a check to fill the tank up. Good Luck.