In need of advice in regards to SMP's.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

750hp

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am about to graduate with my bachelor's in the winter 2011 term and using the AMCAS spreadsheet my GPAs come out as the following:
BCMP: 2.37
Non-sci: 2.88
Overall: 2.57

AACOMAS:
Cumi: 2.88
(As I have re-taken classes I did not do so well on during my early years).

I don't want to create some sob story where something happened, but simply put in my first few years I had low motivation for anything and that was the past. Since then I have been taking maximum course (4sci courses per semester), further, in these past 2 years I have maintained a GPA of 3.67 under heavy course loads with volunteering and shadowing (~600hrs).

I know it is hard repairing the past but I will do whatever it takes and have clearly shown that, I know for one thing that if I get one chance at an SMP I will rock it and prove to the adcoms otherwise, this is where I need some glimmer of hope from you guys...

I have taken the mcat but I lost my composure and screwed up (6/4/10 = 20L) and do plan on retaking the MCAT some time before May 2011.

My question is, what SMPs will I likely have a chance at getting into with that current score? and how can I address that re-taking the MCAT is a certainty to the SMP adcoms? Do I have any other options?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't retake the MCAT until you're ready to dedicate 3-6 months of full time work to improving your score. Don't retake until you've scored *above* your goal on multiple practice exams. Go after a 30+ like your career depends on it. Because it does. You lose all credibility in explaining your GPA if your MCAT is also low.

I think you should look into the SMP-like programs that are hosted at DO schools. My impression is that these are more traditional biosci work, where you're in a good position to make an impression on the host DO school. From what I've seen, these programs are less interested in vetting you as a med school candidate on the way in - they vet you as you go.

I think that with your stats, you'll want to choose wisely, because the asset you gain in such a program is credibility only at that school. Other schools, DO or MD, will evaluate you first and foremost on your undergrad GPA & MCAT.

Best of luck to you.

I currently live in michigan and would prefer not to venture too far away. That being said, I don't know if the wayne BMS would frown upon the current MCAT and discard my application for their basic medical science SMP...

I guess my dilemma is will that mcat score give me trouble? I am studying for it now to take it sometime in May-April 2011 but obviously I would have my SMP application submitted before that. So will this bring me troubles?

I guess my dilemma is will that mcat score give me trouble? I am studying for it now to take it sometime in May-April 2011 but obviously I would have my SMP application submitted before that. So will this bring me troubles?
If the programs you are applying to are competitive, then yes, that MCAT score will bring you troubles.

It doesn't hurt to apply.