In Need of Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

throwaway5891

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
DO student here who didn't have EM until late 4th year and of course completely enjoyed it and now I wish I had done it. In IM residency but now want to pursue EM. Comlex ~650s step 1 and 2 and USMLE ~240s. Should I enter the match next year barring approval from my PD? I need some help so any advice would be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Have you at all considered critical care after completing your IM residency?

I have thought of it but I can't see myself enjoying three years of IM residency. I would not mind having to repeat PGY1 year but I do know finding may be an issue at some programs. I just felt pressured at the time of the scramble to pick a guaranteed residency but I am 100% sure I want to pursue EM.

Members don't see this ad :)
DO student here who didn't have EM until late 4th year and of course completely enjoyed it and now I wish I had done it. In IM residency but now want to pursue EM. Comlex ~650s step 1 and 2 and USMLE ~240s. Should I enter the match next year barring approval from my PD? I need some help so any advice would be much appreciated.

Aoa or acgme?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Aoa or acgme?

I'm open for either. Are my stats good enough to match for both? Would I have a shot at matching even if my full funding would be short a year?

If you were definitely looking to get out of IM, I have to say, at least from a numbers standpoint, my program would love getting someone like you in for an interview, as I'm sure so would many others. I don't think you'd have ANY trouble matching in EM unless there is some major red flag on your application. You just have to ask yourself if that's what you truly want to do. You'll already be 1/3 of the way through your IM residency. If you stick it out 2 more years, you could go do a CC fellowship. Alternatively, you could start over and do EM and basically make your residency a 4 year process. Decision is yours ultimately.

I'm open for either. Are my stats good enough to match for both? Would I have a shot at matching even if my full funding would be short a year?

Many places (including mine) are over the cap and fund a number of their slots out of their own budget. So for most places, this wouldn't be an issue. I'm sure for some it might, but for most, probably not. Your stats are more than good enough to not only match but also be quite competitive in the ACGME match. In the AOA match, you'd be a superstar strictly from a numbers standpoint.

Reactions: 1 user

Agreed Aoa would be an easy match for you. Personally I'm in an allo residency and love it.

Ok....long time reader, first time poster. Couldn't hold out from sharing my experience

Exactly 1 year ago I was you. Same story except I'm an MD and steps were slightly higher. Realized halfway through IM internship that I wanted to do EM. I looked for advice on this website and talked to some people. I literally was filled with fear after reading these forums and thought that I wouldn't be able to match. Last week I matched at a great program, not to mention, my first choice. I applied to 30 programs, was offered 15 interviews. So I'd like to give you some encouragement regarding my experience and debunk a few myths.

Myth # 1 - "You will have funding limitations and that will make programs want you less."
Reality - Some programs do have funding limitations and fund resident spots out of their departmental budgets (as above). Those are usually community programs / private programs. I applied to 3 of those types of programs and was offered an interview at 1. Academic programs often have less budget constraints and that doesn't matter as much if at all. In my opinion it is completely overstated and should be a consideration, albeit a small one. Certainly it should not impact your decision whether or not to switch.
Solution: Apply to academic and community programs

Myth #2 - "You are less competitive the second time around."
Reality - You are a doctor with experience. Please tell me how this makes you less competitive. It is just not true.
Solution - Live in reality.

Myth #3 - "Do a critical care fellowship after IM instead of doing EM because they're basically the same"
Reality - Again, please tell me how they are the same? I mean seriously --- in the ICU you take care of sick patients all day, manage vents, and have long family meetings about goals of care. ICU is such a sexy topic in EM circles now that people actually think it is a substitute for EM. There are definitely similarities, but they are not interchangeable. Not to mention, the fellowship is usually in Pulmonary & Critical Care medicine. Who wants to talk about the alphabet soup of lung disease? ER type people? No.
Solution: Don't listen to people that say those things. Respectfully, they have no idea what they're talking about.

My main point is this: Do whatever the heck you need to do and don't let what anyone says stop you. Get a good letter from your current PD and do it the right way, with integrity - don't sneak around or be dishonest. Lay it out truthfully and your program will accept it and help you accomplish your dream. Get SLOEs from your home EM program, apply broadly, email programs displaying interest if you have to, and go for it. If you're going to be miserable in IM, move on. 1500 people reapply for the match every year and about half of them successfully match. That's all comers - not people with your stats / no red flags. You sound like you will definitely match.

Like me.

Reactions: 3 users
I may have 1 issue on my application but hopefully it wouldn't be too detrimental. I did fail my comlex PE the first time after getting sick with the flu and trying to force myself through the exam instead of rescheduling. I did pass on my second attempt and I have received very good evals from my attendings. I am not a weird guy or an dingus or anything like that. Is that a huge red flag? Thanks.

I may have 1 issue on my application but hopefully it wouldn't be too detrimental. I did fail my comlex PE the first time after getting sick with the flu and trying to force myself through the exam instead of rescheduling. I did pass on my second attempt and I have received very good evals from my attendings. I am not a weird guy or an dingus or anything like that. Is that a huge red flag? Thanks.

I would say minor in light of you having a residency spot already and a PD who can vouch for your skills.