In Need of Encouragement and Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cool_Hand_Luke

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been lurking since around January now, and I don't want to jack someone else's thread. I guess I just needed some of your guys' encouragement as I honestly don't have a lot of support from my family since I've told them my hopes.

When I started college in 2007, I was Pre-Med. I loved the sciences in high school, but one absolutely withering and condescending biology professor my freshman year of undergrad made me lose sight of that. I only took General Biology before I switched majors, and got a B average in it the whole year. I think I was just young, immature, and didn't have the necessary study or coping skills for success at that point in my life. I ended up wandering in college, but still ended up graduating with a 3.76 GPA, a B.A. in Religious Studies, and a minor in Economics.

Since then, I've volunteered for a year as a men's dean and teacher at a boarding high school in rural Tennessee, worked several summers in the middle of Michigan at a summer camp with kids from inner city Detroit and Benton Harbor, spent time volunteering in an ER, am currently one class away from finishing an MBA (Healthcare Administration emphasis) with a 4.0 GPA, and have worked the last three years in the Human Resources departments of several large hospitals. I currently work in Employee Relations, and spend every day dealing with complex people problems that can easily result in lawsuits if not handled properly and delicately.

I just know that if I don't pursue medicine, I will regret it for the rest of my life. I admire not-for-profits like Doctor's Without Borders, and would love to do that as a provider some day. I understand that the field is full of change, and I experience that in healthcare every week at my current job. No matter how many years have gone by, I always end up returning to the idea of becoming a M.D. Most of my volunteer work and jobs post-undergrad have centered around healthcare in some capacity, and that's not an accident.

I just told my parents about it, and I can tell they don't approve. I'm 28 now, and wouldn't be finished with the MCAT and prerequisites until after I'm 30. I realize that it's not logical to go this route after I'm close to making a director role in healthcare and I'm just finishing paying off my undergraduate debt.

Can anyone relate or give any advice?

(If I have broken any rules with this post, I can remove it. Like I said, I'm a long-time lurker but a first time poster.)

Members don't see this ad.

I've been lurking since around January now, and I don't want to jack someone else's thread. I guess I just needed some of your guys' encouragement as I honestly don't have a lot of support from my family since I've told them my hopes.

When I started college in 2007, I was Pre-Med. I loved the sciences in high school, but one absolutely withering and condescending biology professor my freshman year of undergrad made me lose sight of that. I only took General Biology before I switched majors, and got a B average in it the whole year. I think I was just young, immature, and didn't have the necessary study or coping skills for success at that point in my life. I ended up wandering in college, but still ended up graduating with a 3.76 GPA, a B.A. in Religious Studies, and a minor in Economics.

Since then, I've volunteered for a year as a men's dean and teacher at a boarding high school in rural Tennessee, worked several summers in the middle of Michigan at a summer camp with kids from inner city Detroit and Benton Harbor, spent time volunteering in an ER, am currently one class away from finishing an MBA (Healthcare Administration emphasis) with a 4.0 GPA, and have worked the last three years in the Human Resources departments of several large hospitals. I currently work in Employee Relations, and spend every day dealing with complex people problems that can easily result in lawsuits if not handled properly and delicately.

I just know that if I don't pursue medicine, I will regret it for the rest of my life. I admire not-for-profits like Doctor's Without Borders, and would love to do that as a provider some day. I understand that the field is full of change, and I experience that in healthcare every week at my current job. No matter how many years have gone by, I always end up returning to the idea of becoming a M.D. Most of my volunteer work and jobs post-undergrad have centered around healthcare in some capacity, and that's not an accident.

I just told my parents about it, and I can tell they don't approve. I'm 28 now, and wouldn't be finished with the MCAT and prerequisites until after I'm 30. I realize that it's not logical to go this route after I'm close to making a director role in healthcare and I'm just finishing paying off my undergraduate debt.

(If I have broken any rules with this post, I can remove it. Like I said, I'm a long-time lurker but a first time poster.)
Hi there! Becoming a doctor is not something someone should decide for you. It's a thing of the mind and absolute commitment. You need to do a soul searching instead of letting anyone here tell you what to do. Do some shadowing to decide if becoming a doctor is something you're interested in. As for age, forget that thing age is a number I keep telling people. If this is what you really want to do not let age become a barrier. You can do other things along the way. I know people who have children even before med school and still carry on. Goro has said before that he graduated couple students in their 40's to 50, so it's up to you not to anyone. If this is your dream I don't think age can shatter it. Good luck my friend.

Logical? You're young!! You have time! You are certainly not the oldest by a long shot. Consider that a blessing. It's good to go after your dreams. If you don't try, you won't get there. Also, your situation is not unique. Trust me, the millenial generation has been changing careers almost as much as their underwear. It's nothing new. You sound like you're on the right track.

Don't listen to your parents and their disapproval. Who is going to end up feeling awful in the end? You or them? You, of course! If you have the guts to do it, and it seems that you do, go after it! You already have a great set of stats! Just finish you prereqs and study hard for your MCAT! You can get there!

I went through a considerable amount of frustration. I had an advisor at a state lower level public 4-year school who told me I sucked. I was on the Dean's List, but somehow he believed I wasn't med school material. I felt awful. I had this ***** for 4 years straight. I didn't consider the fact that, yeah, the guy got a PhD from a school with a med school, but he was teaching out in the middle of BFE. Seriously. Who was he? Anyway, I think everyone feels let down after something like that. I know I felt inadequate, which is why I went into something totally different than my degree. The money isn't bad, but that's not where my heart is. /

If you have the determination to do it, you can get there.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm 51. My parents don't approve either. ;)

Is it easy? No. I worked full time while taking pre-reqs, had a bunch of life altering events occur both as ugrad (in the 80's) and while taking pre-reqs at the age of 44+...

No regrets, even if rejected at all 25+ schools I'm applying to. What say you?

Reactions: 1 user
Hey man, I like that avatar. GPA's already above average and you already have healthcare experience; that's a strong starting position. Good luck, whatever you decide.

I hope you are in truly excellent health.

Every year that you get older, is a year that you could become ill or disabled. The third decade is when a lot of this stuff crops up and we are biologically not programmed to emerge in one piece very well.

You can't afford too much disaster for a 7 year stretch at minimum with most of it spent at around 80 hour work weeks when you do this. So, from 30-->37 you need to be tip top.

I saw people who didn't or almost didn't make it with cancer, type 1 diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, other types of arthritis, etc etc. But they still have all the same debt. Sounds like in your case you'd have a good fall back career. But Christ, that debt.

My heart wants to tell you to follow YOUR passion and only you know for sure if you will truly not be happy unless you pursue becoming a physician.

My mind wants to say make use of that MBA and continue on your current path likely leading to some sort of executive leadership role as those guys are pretty much running the ship nowadays anyway.

It's a LONG road that will take a mental and physical toll on you. I was in my late 20's starting med school and had numerous classmates who were well into their 30's and 40's and coming from prior careers.

Getting towards the end of my formal training now I can tell it's affected me, not all in a good way. I still love my field and honestly there's nothing else I could see myself doing (despite LOTS of daydreaming and wishing) but if I was already well into a field such as business, law, etc.. and doing well in it and somewhat enjoyed it then I don't think the financial/emotional/mental hit of switching to medicine would be worth it.