In need of honest advice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medstudent05

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I applied this past year and didn't hear back from anyone. My MCAT scores were below average (26) and I think I basically applied somewhat late. But still, with my 1000+ hours as an ER scribe and 3.6+ GPA, I was hoping to hear back from a few DO schools. When I talked to some of the schools and asked what to improve on, they basically said my MCAT.

So, now I'm thinking to take a prep class and take it again. My problem is, I know the content and do decent on my practice exams, but when it comes time to the real thing, I get nervous and therefore, don't get the scores I've been getting on my practice exams. So, therefore, I'm hoping the prep class will not only refresh all the material I studied last year for the exam, but help me become more confident in my test-taking skills. The problem is, I want to take the MCAT early August, but ppl keep telling me its too late. But I'm just starting to study again.

If I submit my AMCAS June 1st, with everything submitted but the new MCAT score, will that be too late? I mean I guess I could take it end of July, but I can't understand whether I should get another mediocre score just for the sake of being one of the early applicants or take the MCAT beginning of August and risk being kinda late (though I will have primaries done June 1st). I know theres a lot of schools that send secondaries when the primary is processed, and so by the time my scores come back, I'll having the secondaries to some of the schools complete as well.

I really need advice right now and everything will be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Submit your AACOMAS app the first day you can with your current MCAT score. You will get some DO interviews. Better to have some early DO interviews in the bag. If you wait and see if you get any MD interviews and then decide to apply DO, it may be too late. Take the MCAT again as planned. Right now, if I were you, I'd be strong looking at the DO route if you truly want to be a physician. Apply very broadly no matter what route you take.

I went to a DO school. Matched to my first choice ACGME residency. I feel like I was trained very well. Don't know what else an MD school could have given me.

Last edited:
Whatever it takes ,get help for that test-taking anxiety. We're addicted to standardized tests in med school, so this is a skill that you MUST master. Don't even think of retaking the MCAT until this is taken care of, otherwise you're just asking to choke again.

So I applied this past year and didn't hear back from anyone. My MCAT scores were below average (26) and I think I basically applied somewhat late. But still, with my 1000+ hours as an ER scribe and 3.6+ GPA, I was hoping to hear back from a few DO schools. When I talked to some of the schools and asked what to improve on, they basically said my MCAT.

So, now I'm thinking to take a prep class and take it again. My problem is, I know the content and do decent on my practice exams, but when it comes time to the real thing, I get nervous and therefore, don't get the scores I've been getting on my practice exams. So, therefore, I'm hoping the prep class will not only refresh all the material I studied last year for the exam, but help me become more confident in my test-taking skills. The problem is, I want to take the MCAT early August, but ppl keep telling me its too late. But I'm just starting to study again.

If I submit my AMCAS June 1st, with everything submitted but the new MCAT score, will that be too late? I mean I guess I could take it end of July, but I can't understand whether I should get another mediocre score just for the sake of being one of the early applicants or take the MCAT beginning of August and risk being kinda late (though I will have primaries done June 1st). I know theres a lot of schools that send secondaries when the primary is processed, and so by the time my scores come back, I'll having the secondaries to some of the schools complete as well.

I really need advice right now and everything will be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad :)
What were your MCAT practice scores? Did you take them under "test like conditions"? What will you change about how you study this time?

Also, when did you take the last one? If it was recently, you should still be knowledgeable about the material and just need to learn how to take the test. If that's the case, depending on how well you do on practice tests, you might be able to swing a July MCAT, but DO NOT rush it.

With a 26 your focus should be on DO (maybe apply a few low tier private MD and your state school)

What are your other ECs? Just scribing isn't going to cut it. Leadership, teaching, etc is needed. sGPA?

Don't be too hasty. You need to get your app in early AND have a better MCAT score. If you can't do both, you should think about waiting until you can. Do research for a year and show that you have really improved your application!
That said, I think you should be able to swing a July MCAT. Don't be too proud to go to the testing site in advance and scope it out. You will be less nervous on the actual day, knowing that whatever happens you will be there to take the test on time and you will be ready. If you have the option to live at home and do nothing but study, you should take it. Give yourself the best shot you can, because you don't get unlimited opportunities.

A 3.6 GPA, 1000+ hours and a 26 MCAT signal to me that your application was just generally weak and/or that you were targeting out-of-reach-schools. With those stats, even with a relatively late submission, you should have gotten at least one or two invite to interview had you selected your schools correctly. What was your major undergrad? What type of school did you attend? ---public/private large, small etc, and finally what schools did you target. In any event, you should retake the MCAT. The only way you will get over test day jitters is if you feel you know the exam inside out. That will only come from practice, practice, practice and then some more practice. - Admissions to Medicine

Where did you apply? The MCAT is probably not the real reason you for denied. The Osteopathic average is slightly below 27.

Reactions: 1 user