In need of some authoritative advice…

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dpms

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for the input.

Members don't see this ad.

important things for urology are:

1. usmle 1 score
2. clinical grades during 3rd year, and urology grade in 4th yr
3. letters of recommendation from people well known in urology

if you can get those at your home institution, then you're set. if not consider doing a urology rotation away at a strong department.

but you're still a first year. how can you be sure you'll still want to go into urology in 3 years?

important things for urology are:

1. usmle 1 score
2. clinical grades during 3rd year, and urology grade in 4th yr
3. letters of recommendation from people well known in urology

if you can get those at your home institution, then you're set. if not consider doing a urology rotation away at a strong department.

but you're still a first year. how can you be sure you'll still want to go into urology in 3 years?

You do not need to transfer... do a home rotation at your schools urology department then do a second urology rotation at a school you might want to go to and with well respected chair or faculty who can write you a letter. Transfer only if you hate the school or area you live, not because you think your urology chances are better...

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldnt re-apply if I were you. In a field like urology, I highly doubt the prestige of your school will play a major role in the match. What the poster above said is true, competitive step I grades, Honors and/or AOA, and good LORs will definately make you very competitive...however, the interview is a very important part of the urology match. They want people they can work with and they think will function as a team, this is of utmost importance in this field. In general if you are going to let something as trivial as the name of your school limit your chances you are already at a loss. Also, you are pretty early in your career to limit yourself to urology...it is a great field dont get me wrong but there are many other great fields out there as well. Just find what fits you and what you are going to like.

I go to a no-name state school that is pretty much under the radar nationally and several people in the years ahead of me have matched at extremely prestigious urology residencies.

good luck

1. There are tons of good Urology programs affiliated with your school; you should look into that before making any decisions. As a 1st year, I would study and stop worrying about ranking. Most Program Directors want top individuals, not an individual from the top school (if there is such a thing).

2. Previous post was correct in identifying important factors that will be looked at in determining your residency placement and successful match to Urology

3. Repeating a year, even if you go to Hopkins or Harvard - does not look good, plus you waste a year of your life. Transferring after 1st or 2nd year is a possibility.

4. Talk to your upper classmates or shadow local urologist to find out the scoop.

5. Get your head out of the gutter. You should 1st explore what you have in your back yard before looking for another. You'll be fine.