In need of some guidance please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KN19

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, :)
I'm entering my junior year in college this fall and I'm just a little lost.
Right now my cumulative GPA is a 3.66 and my science GPA is a 3.5. Its not the highest, but it isn't terrible either(hopefully lol :xf:). Anyway, I am having trouble deciding whether to apply to dental school at the end of my junior or senior year. This summer I've got some great exposure working with a dentist and even assisting him at times. But other than this shadowing experience I don't have much else. I'm not the most outgoing person so I don't have ECs. My goal this year is to really work on that aspect. If I apply junior year I don't think I'll have enough time to work on any meaningful ECs. I wanted to do some research and include my junior and senior year grades.Also if I apply junior year, I will have to take the DATs while also taking a semester's worth of classes. It might be better for me to spend my whole summer studying in between junior and senior year and then taking it with time left for a retake if necessary. Is it too terrible to wait until senior year to apply? I've heard that applying senior year might even be beneficial since you'll have a degree already. I just need some guidance please! Thank you so much for reading this. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone, :)
I'm entering my junior year in college this fall and I'm just a little lost.
Right now my cumulative GPA is a 3.66 and my science GPA is a 3.5. Its not the highest, but it isn't terrible either(hopefully lol :xf:). Anyway, I am having trouble deciding whether to apply to dental school at the end of my junior or senior year. This summer I've got some great exposure working with a dentist and even assisting him at times. But other than this shadowing experience I don't have much else. I'm not the most outgoing person so I don't have ECs. My goal this year is to really work on that aspect. If I apply junior year I don't think I'll have enough time to work on any meaningful ECs. I wanted to do some research and include my junior and senior year grades.Also if I apply junior year, I will have to take the DATs while also taking a semester's worth of classes. It might be better for me to spend my whole summer studying in between junior and senior year and then taking it with time left for a retake if necessary. Is it too terrible to wait until senior year to apply? I've heard that applying senior year might even be beneficial since you'll have a degree already. I just need some guidance please! Thank you so much for reading this. :)

idk where you're getting your info from but applying senior year is not in any way superior than your junior year, as long as you are anticipating a degree either way. In fact, i think applying senior year is even worse since you'll be losing a year of what could have been your freshman year in dental school. But ofcourse, some people have situations that are diff then others but if you were to choose and you have the opportunity then id definitely apply in junion year

apply junior year. not having enough EC's is not a good enough reason to delay the process. If you want to have a year off for other reasons that you value enough, then do so. But not having great EC's and not wanting to study for the DAT during the semester is not good enough.

Members don't see this ad :)
Apply the summer between junior and senior year. Even if you dont get in on your first application cycle, a reapplicant is given special consideration (at some school). I think you could get in with your stats, assuming you score well on the DAT.

Okay, thanks for the input guys :)