In NEeed of Adivse, Low MCAT and Subpar GPA!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DRJMIZZLE

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, okay so I have a 2.81 GPA and I got a 16Q on my MCAT, I really dont want to take it again, but it looks like I will have to. My chances in the Big 4 Carribean Schools seeem slim, but I may apply just for the hell of it. I am seriously looking at AUA since they don't require MCAT scores. And what about the following schools:

MUA, St. Matthews, Xavier, and St. James?

I heard these schools were TERIBLE but I just want to confirm. I really want to go to medical school, and am willing to do ANYTHING to get there, advice please everyone! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, okay so I have a 2.81 GPA and I got a 16Q on my MCAT, I really dont want to take it again, but it looks like I will have to. My chances in the Big 4 Carribean Schools seeem slim, but I may apply just for the hell of it. I am seriously looking at AUA since they don't require MCAT scores. And what about the following schools:

MUA, St. Matthews, Xavier, and St. James?

I heard these schools were TERIBLE but I just want to confirm. I really want to go to medical school, and am willing to do ANYTHING to get there, advice please everyone! Thanks!

If you really mean that you will do ANYTHING, then you should retake your MCAT until you get at least a 30, and then apply to SMPs and excel. You don't have a chance at DOs or MDs in the US, and you probably can't even get into the big 4. But if you do an SMP and do well, you'll be in a US MD school in less than two years. None of the schools you listed have a good track record for placing US residents, so if you can't do well on the MCAT or in an SMP, you most likely don't have the drive to beat the odds at those schools. Good luck.

If you really mean that you will do ANYTHING, then you should retake your MCAT until you get at least a 30, and then apply to SMPs and excel. You don't have a chance at DOs or MDs in the US, and you probably can't even get into the big 4. But if you do an SMP and do well, you'll be in a US MD school in less than two years. None of the schools you listed have a good track record for placing US residents, so if you can't do well on the MCAT or in an SMP, you most likely don't have the drive to beat the odds at those schools. Good luck.

Cool, thanks man. I did want to ask you did you take a Kaplan or Princeton Review Course to help you for the MCAT? I want to increase my score dramatically; the essays I have down pact, I think I can even get a T if I take it again. And can you tell me about this SMP program and what it stands for? What schools have it, and how long does it last? Thanks man!

Members don't see this ad :)
Cool, thanks man. I did want to ask you did you take a Kaplan or Princeton Review Course to help you for the MCAT? I want to increase my score dramatically; the essays I have down pact, I think I can even get a T if I take it again. And can you tell me about this SMP program and what it stands for? What schools have it, and how long does it last? Thanks man!

Also bro, is there any way I could get into an SMP program with my MCAT score now? I highly doubt it, but I was just curious. Do you know any websites with a list of all SMP's in the country? I have tried looking at AAMC but there site is down temprarily.

I just bought a Kalplan MCAT study book, tore out the 10 or so pages in the back that listed all the necessary formulas and made them into flashcards so I could commit them to memory. Once I got all the flashcards down, I started taking practice tests. You can buy a book full of practice tests, and I highly recommend that. Also, the AAMC posts official practice tests that you can take, and if you want you can even time yourself. I took 5-6 practice tests just to get down the application of the formulas and to gauge the MCAT's depth. Then I took a few timed practice tests from the AAMC, and I kept taking them until I was consistently getting above a 30. I ended up taking probably 7 practice tests. That's all I did, and I got a 29 after a mediocre test experience. I started studying only a month before the test, and if I could do it all over again, I would have taken at least three months and taken another half dozen practice tests. If you do that, you'll get at least a 30. My way will cost probably $300 altogether, not including test fees. If you want, you can take a Kaplan course, but I don't know much about them.

Also bro, is there any way I could get into an SMP program with my MCAT score now? I highly doubt it, but I was just curious. Do you know any websites with a list of all SMP's in the country? I have tried looking at AAMC but there site is down temprarily.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=346106
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=315970

I attended the BMS program at RFUMS (Chicago Medical School), which has a very high linkage. EVMS is another med school that has a high linkage. I wouldn't apply anywhere but those programs, because they will give you the best shot at getting in.

You won't get into any SMP with that MCAT...a 16 is roughly in the bottom 10% of everyone who takes the exam. In fact, programs like EVMS require a minimum of a 27 to even apply. Furthermore, your GPA is below a 3.0 so that's bad enough already. Your top priority should be on improving your MCAT score, and also improve your GPA with postbaccalaureate classes if you can.

You won't get into any SMP with that MCAT...a 16 is roughly in the bottom 10% of everyone who takes the exam. In fact, programs like EVMS require a minimum of a 27 to even apply. Furthermore, your GPA is below a 3.0 so that's bad enough already. Your top priority should be on improving your MCAT score, and also improve your GPA with postbaccalaureate classes if you can.

This is pretty much spot on. You can do an SMP with a sub 3.0 GPA, but in order to do that, you almost certainly need a 30+ MCAT. I personally would only do a post-bacc if I didn't get into any high-linkage SMP programs, just to save time.

If you insist on entering the medical field, your best bet would be either a post-bac and MCAT (most important). As another avenue to explore, i suggest you check out podiatry. If you pull your GPA up to around a 3.0 and/or aim for a 24 on your MCAT, you could be reasonably competitive. Keep in mind that it is highly advised to shadow a podiatric physician, though.

I just bought a Kalplan MCAT study book, tore out the 10 or so pages in the back that listed all the necessary formulas and made them into flashcards so I could commit them to memory. Once I got all the flashcards down, I started taking practice tests. You can buy a book full of practice tests, and I highly recommend that."

Hi,Unzbuzzled. What is the name of your book? Is it the packages of 5 books combined. I try to find it online but they sell so many different books.