In quite a pickle and need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

incognitofmd

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here's my situation fellow non-trads.

I originally started at a State school, but was only there for a summer semester (didn't like it; moved back home). Once I returned, I attended a CC where I received an AA in Mass Communications with a lot of extra-curricular work in publishing/editing. I continued onto a state school in my city where I'm graduating this semester with a BA in Psychology, two years of research under my belt, a nationally recognized fellowship, and founder of a underrepresented minorities in research student organization.

The pickle is this: I have struggled with the idea of med school since I started college, taking classes here and there, declaring a minor in Biology, then declaring a second major, but in the end an awful sGPA (2.2). I'm moving to the next county over, I'm starting a full-time job, and continuing at my current state school will require more money, time, and effort. I fear it'll be difficult to find the classes I need during time slots that will fit my schedule since most students at state schools are trads. I've considered finishing my prereqs at a CC where I will be living, but am afraid the benefits (less money, more classes tailored for nontrads, less commute) will not outweigh those of my state school (a second bachelors in Biology).

My current stats are as follows:
A.A. Mass Communications
-Associate Editor of CC Literary Magazine
-Associate Editor of CC Newspaper
-Graduated 3.5 GPA

B.A. Psychology
-Two years research experience
-Shadowing experience 1-2 years
-National Fellowship for underrepresented minorities in research
-Founder for student organization for underrepresented minorities in research
-Graduating cGPA: 3.3
-Graduating sGPA: 2.2

*I still have to take Chem II, Orgo I & II, Physics I & II, Calculus, and several upper division electives to repair the damage I've made due to, in all honesty, carelessness. Probably looking at a 3.0 sGPA overall, and a DIY post bacc gpa of above a 3.6. I'm strictly interested in MD schools, and my full-time job is in the field (so about 3 years of clinical experience).

Which route should I take?! Take the CC at my own pace and feel financially stable, less financial stress, and have somewhat of an adult life (married), or continue at my state school part-time, take out some loans, risk the time factor, but earn a second BA in Biology. Help!

Members don't see this ad.

You should calculate the cost of loans + interest + attending salary, vs taking your time + earning some money slowly; only then can you determine if its worth it for you. If you do it slowly, it will take you probably 1.5-2 years to complete those courses with a suitable GPA, while working full time. If you do it quickly, there is no reason why you can't take chem 1 over the summer, and org/phy/calc over 1 year, if that is your complete focus. That said, you will need more to overcome a sGPA of 2.2, and even a cGPA of 3.3. Some of the MD schools required both being over 3.5 before they even look at you. Also the associates GPA probably doesn't factor into anything unless you can transfer that as college credit, and obtaining another degree won't really be beneficial. Most importantly you need the grades to bump up your GPA.

At this point these 3 things are your top priority, above job, experience, research, money, etc.
1. get your gpa up
2. hammer mcat to offset some of your gpa concerns
3. if you can't do 1 & 2, you should look at DO schools. It could be many application cycles of applying with subpar stats to MD schools, even as a minority which it sounds like you are. Some schools allow grade replacement and if you retook some of your poor courses, you could remove those poor grades and replace them with better ones, which would doubly impact your GPA.

Albeit a little harsh, but i hope it helps.

Reactions: 1 user
You don't need an entire second UG degree. CC is fine for that coursework. You'll need to ace everything and do exceptionally well on MCAT. Luckily there are MD schools that believe in reinvention. Just keep in mind that this is a marathon, not a sprint.

*I still have to take Chem II, Orgo I & II, Physics I & II, Calculus, and several upper division electives to repair the damage I've made due to, in all honesty, carelessness. Probably looking at a 3.0 sGPA overall, and a DIY post bacc gpa of above a 3.6. I'm strictly interested in MD schools, and my full-time job is in the field (so about 3 years of clinical experience).

Which route should I take?! Take the CC at my own pace and feel financially stable, less financial stress, and have somewhat of an adult life (married), or continue at my state school part-time, take out some loans, risk the time factor, but earn a second BA in Biology.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Which route should I take?! Take the CC at my own pace and feel financially stable, less financial stress, and have somewhat of an adult life (married), or continue at my state school part-time, take out some loans, risk the time factor, but earn a second BA in Biology. Help!
You have something to prove. You need to demonstrate that you can do well in premedical science courses at the university level. You will not be able to do this at a community college.

A more important question is why the 2.2 science GPA. If possible, you should fix this problem before taking any additional courses.

Regarding a second BA in Biology, this is something you may need. Or possibly a graduate degree in Biology. But first, I would complete all of the medical school prereqs and take the MCAT to see where you stand. If you're application is still weak, then I'd consider the second degree (BA or MS in Biology).

MG

You have something to prove. You need to demonstrate that you can do well in premedical science courses at the university level. You will not be able to do this at a community college.

A more important question is why the 2.2 science GPA. If possible, you should fix this problem before taking any additional courses.

Regarding a second BA in Biology, this is something you may need. Or possibly a graduate degree in Biology. But first, I would complete all of the medical school prereqs and take the MCAT to see where you stand. If you're application is still weak, then I'd consider the second degree (BA or MS in Biology).

MG

The sGPA is that low because most of the classes I received C's, however, I somewhat take solace in the fact they are less than half of the 'heavy hitters' I need in order to apply. I really appreciate these responses and don't consider them harsh at all, just the reality of my situation. I'm still weighing out my options as far as continuing at the university I am at right now for a second BA for that very reason, but again my schedule and living situation makes it a bit difficult. As for now, I'm going to stay enlisted as a second degree seeking student and see how the schedules line up. I definitely feel I've grown from previous experiences and will enter the Fall semester with a new mentality.

You don't need an entire second UG degree. CC is fine for that coursework. You'll need to ace everything and do exceptionally well on MCAT. Luckily there are MD schools that believe in reinvention. Just keep in mind that this is a marathon, not a sprint.

Which route should I take?! Take the CC at my own pace and feel financially stable, less financial stress, and have somewhat of an adult life (married), or continue at my state school part-time, take out some loans, risk the time factor, but earn a second BA in Biology.

First of all, thanks for taking the time to reply! Like I mentioned on my reply to the person below, I take solace in the fact I've yet to take what are considered to be the heavy hitters for med schools. I'm going to spend the summer after graduation reviewing the subjects I've already taken and see what option (CC or second UG) lines up better with my schedule (I'm a full-time MA/Research Assistant that lives about 45 minutes from campus). This is a position I've recently acquired and I can't tell you what a kick in the ass it's been. It has reassured me beyond a doubt this is what I want to do and be, whether it take me 2 years or 10 years to get into a medical school. This is indeed a marathon, not a sprint.

Thanks to everyone that replied and helped me out with making a decision. I've sat down, weighed my options, luckily aced all my science coursework this semester, downloaded the excel spreadsheet AMCAS offers to applicants as a GPA calculator and put things into perspective. The sGPA improved slightly this semester (I only took two science courses) and now have a running BCMP of 2.3. If everything goes as planned it would end at a 3.1 with a massive upward trend.

I've also decided to finish my second bachelors (Biology) at my current state school, taking enough science electives to bump everything up and not just the necessary classes for the MCAT. Recently, I've begun to toy with the idea of doing an MPH with a concentration in Epidemiology to strengthen my application. I feel extremely sure this is what I want to do, especially after working hands on in the field. I can't imagine myself doing anything else. I can't go back and right my wrongs, but I can continue to prove an upwards trend. I want to have the strongest and most compelling application possible in order to not have to go through two to three cycles. Is an upward trend in upper division coursework, two-three years of research, and three years of clinical hands on experience enough to overcome the 3.1? Granted, I understand my MCAT will heavily weigh on that decision and a 33+ will be a necessity.

... aced all my science coursework this semester ....
Good news!
Is an upward trend in upper division coursework, two-three years of research, and three years of clinical hands on experience enough to overcome the 3.1?
The short answer is "yes".

Some schools will definitely take note of the upward trend, and look upon this favorably. But some schools won't. Make sure you apply to a large number of schools to offset those schools.

MG

Make sure you really like math and statistics before doing epidemiology.
This.

I also recall reading in a few places that an MPH isn't that extraordinary of a degree to pursue pre-med school. I believe graduate GPA doesn't factor in to admissions in a very helpful way either.

Medical schools want to see you do well in the premedical areas (especially biology, chemistry, physics). An MPH can help, and it's reasonable to consider one. But a masters in Biology might help more. All this has to be taken with the right balance with your long-term goals and in which program you're likely to get the most A's in.

Graduate GPAs can help. But keep in mind that medical schools expect you to do better in graduate school. A "B" in graduate school is similar to a "C" as an undergraduate. So you should shoot for a higher graduate GPA (for example, above 3.75).

Last edited: