in state or out of state tuition??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vmd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone help to clarify the in state and out of state tuition rules,particularly for MUSC and UT Memphis?
If a person gets accepted to a school that is not in his current state of residence, but he and spouse then move to say, south carolina, spouse gets full time job, drivers license, car tag, etc... is there any chance that they can be considered in state at that point???
Any help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks-

Members don't see this ad.

vmd said:
Can anyone help to clarify the in state and out of state tuition rules,particularly for MUSC and UT Memphis?
If a person gets accepted to a school that is not in his current state of residence, but he and spouse then move to say, south carolina, spouse gets full time job, drivers license, car tag, etc... is there any chance that they can be considered in state at that point???
Any help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks-

I think that the school would consider you to be an in-state resident if you have resided in that state for 1-3 years (depending on the school). You should contact the school to verify how many years exactly. Hope this helps. :)

Both Ohio and North Carolina (both out of state for me) advised me that I should have no problem getting in-state after the first year, as long as I jump through all the hoops and have a residence, DL, and vehicle registered to that state by August 2006 (in order to qualify for in-state begining in 2007). I also am married and my husband will be working in the state and they say that will help. Every state is different though so check with someone at the school in SC. Good luck.

I also heard the same thing as DHG from OSU and UNC. In addition apparently its pretty easy to become a resident for Colorado. But you really need to check each schools specific requirements and ask them what percentage of students switch to instate after their 1st year.