In-state tuition after 1yr of OSS tuition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NervousNerd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in the process if finalizing my list of schools. At this moment, financials are the next aspect to whittle at my school list.

Do you know of any schools that allow you to begin paying the in state cost after a year of paying the OOS tuition?

Is this more of a case specific situation where I would need to call some adcoms?

I'm a NY resident

Members don't see this ad.

I believe the SUNY schools do, but then I saw your state of residence...

I know that if you are able to get into one of the TX schools they work it so that you basically pay in-state tuition.

Ohio State. Almost everyone gets In-state by year 2 and financial office tries their hardest to keep you compliant with the eligibility.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys - any word on:

Wake?
Wisconsin schools?
Virginia places?
Vermont?

Make sure you check out ohio medical schools' tuition year by year. Cincy and OSU ups the tuition by 15k during m2-m3 and m3-m4 respectively and it ends up being not much of a discount over four years. (I think it's about ~25k less compared to a private school with 48k/yr tuition when I calculated it) It's something, but not as good of a discount as you normally see from a state school.

Thanks for the posts guys! I found out Pennsylvania won't let you. But if you defer acceptance for a year, move there and work for a year, you et in state tuition.

Make sure you check out ohio medical schools' tuition year by year. Cincy and OSU ups the tuition by 15k during m2-m3 and m3-m4 respectively and it ends up being not much of a discount over four years. (I think it's about ~25k less compared to a private school with 48k/yr tuition when I calculated it) It's something, but not as good of a discount as you normally see from a state school.

Looking at the full value of cost of attendance is certainly good advice, but the math adds up differently.

Private school (48k/year), total cost of tuition over 4 years: $192,000
Take a state school like Ohio State, total cost of tutition over 4 years: $155,830 (M1 OOS, M2-M4 IS)
Difference: $36,170

Additionally, since as you mentioned, most state schools tends to proportionate the tuition according to year. This means that the early years are cheaper, which means the overall financial burden is even less at graduation (assuming one takes loans).
At 6.8% loan rate compounding continuously and principles at year interval(just a simple approximation of the disbursement model, but will slightly overestimate the real cost for principal intervals less than a year)
Private school (48k/year): Present value of total cost of tuition: $226,936
State school: Present value of total cost of tuition : $184,710
Difference: $42,226

40k is not an insignificant discount, considering it would probably be the equivalent of a year of tuition.

Spreading tuition out evenly over four years is not the best idea, financially. A med school cost of $38,$39,$41,$42 is strictly cheaper than a cost of $40,$40,$40,$40, even if the total added up are the same.

Incidentally, delaying med school to move to a state for a year to get residency is also a bad idea, financially speaking as well, unless one is making $150k+ in that year or so.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Looking at the full value of cost of attendance is certainly good advice, but the math doesn't add up.

Ah I compared Cincinnati and a private school I was accepted, which had a 2k discount for m3-m4.

Private School - 48k 48k 46k 46k - 188k
UC - 163k
Difference - 25k

Biggest discount at UC happens during m4 year where tuition reverts back to 29k, so the present value calculation is less of a factor. I knew I wasn't hallucinating! :p

UNC definitely does and I believe most of the UC schools do as well.

UNC is a hell of a deal if you can get in OOS because after the first year you can pay the ~18k in-state tuition (one of the cheapest in the country).

UNC definitely does and I believe most of the UC schools do as well.

UNC is a hell of a deal if you can get in OOS because after the first year you can pay the ~18k in-state tuition (one of the cheapest in the country).

Which makes sense why they only accept <10% of their class as OOS :(

Which makes sense why they only accept <10% of their class as OOS :(

It's dictated by the state legislature that the class has to be at 82% IS or greater. And yes, the reason is because the tuition is so subsidized by the state.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm in the process if finalizing my list of schools. At this moment, financials are the next aspect to whittle at my school list.

Do you know of any schools that allow you to begin paying the in state cost after a year of paying the OOS tuition?

Is this more of a case specific situation where I would need to call some adcoms?

I'm a NY resident
Baylor College of Medicine.