In-state tuitions if parents move out of state

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Premed_bulldog

premed_bulldog
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a sophomore at Mississippi State and have lived in Mississippi my entire life. My parents have been living here but are in the process of moving to North Carolina. My question is since they will have been living there for two years when I apply to medical school will I be able to get in-state tuition in NC. I have not been able to find any relative information. I am also married. I'm not sure if that will affect any thing.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would assume that it's probably a no since they always ask for the most recent tax papers or related info. on secondary applications, but I do not have much experience in this field other than being an applicant this year, so please feel free to correct me :)
Even if they had paid taxes in NC before I apply? I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm just curious. I'm not sure if it is based of where I pay taxes or them since I'm married.

Members don't see this ad :)
Even if they had paid taxes in NC before I apply? I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm just curious. I'm not sure if it is based of where I pay taxes or them since I'm married.
Opps! I thought if you were asking whether you could get in-state tuition at Mississippi! Sorry didn't read the question fully. Yes, you will be considered a NC resident!

Opps! I thought if you were asking whether you could get in-state tuition at Mississippi! Sorry didn't read the question fully. Yes, you will be considered a NC resident!
Thanks so much! No you read it right I just left that out. I fixed just now. Do you think it would matter that I'm married. I wasn't sure if the determination is like that of financial aid. Which since I'm married they don't consider my parents.

Thanks so much! No you read it right I just left that out. I fixed just now. Do you think it would matter that I'm married. I wasn't sure if the determination is like that of financial aid. Which since I'm married they don't consider my parents.

Hmm..sorry I don't think I can help you here, but I would assume it has more to do with your parents' information unless you've been married for a long time and have dependents to claim. But really don't worry about this sort of thing because a lot of times you can appeal if you get denied of in-state tuition.