"In the area" Email Compendium

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SoonToBeDrG

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm getting a little frustrated over finding out whether or not schools are receptive to in the area emails. If it would be useful to anyone else, I think starting a rolling thread of schools that are/are not receptive to in the area emails. Posting individually in multiple school-specific threads would probably drive me bonkers.

Aside question, if a school is NOT receptive to update letters than is it safe to assume schools are also not receptive to in the area emails?

Members don't see this ad.

What is the nature and purpose of in the area emails OP?

It seems strange to me to tell adcoms I'm prowling around campus (seems stalkerish). So I'm sure I'm interpreting the name incorrectly.

It seems strange to me to tell adcoms I'm prowling around campus (seems stalkerish). So I'm sure I'm interpreting the name incorrectly.
Say I'm from California and I am interviewing at Mount Sinai on X date. I could then email Cornell, NYU, and Einstein that I will be in NYC on certain dates and would like to, if possible, schedule interviews with them near that date.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
That would be a very useful compendium. Off the top of my head, Ohio State and Cornell are receptive. Can we have a rolling thing like the verification or interview thread?

Receptive
Ohio State
Cornell

As the previous poster said, exactly for OOS purposes. Flying across the country can be rather costly and I'm sure no one enjoys getting an interview invite days after flying home from another nearby interview.

That would be a very useful compendium. Off the top of my head, Ohio State and Cornell are receptive. Can we have a rolling thing like the verification or interview thread?

Receptive
Ohio State
Cornell

This is exactly what I'm hoping we can get started! Hopefully those with positive or negative experiences after sending notices to schools will chime in to get the ball rolling. I suppose I can bite the bullet and send some ITA emails to other schools in NY and post the results here later.

Reactions: 1 user
Add NYU to the list. Sinai is not.

Receptive
Ohio State
Cornell
NYU
Loyola (-ish)

Not
Mt. Sinai

Its crazy to think that schools would rush an interview decision based on an "in the area" email! Looking forward to seeing this list evolve :thumbup:

"Hi Philadelphia schools, just wanted to let you know that I will be in the area every single day this admissions cycle. Please invite me over!"

I wish :rofl:

• Haha
Reactions: 44 users
What's the criteria for non-receptive? I sent an in the area notice to George Washington but heard nothing back..

What's the criteria for non-receptive? I sent an in the area notice to George Washington but heard nothing back..
I would say no response is an indication of being non-receptive. If a school doesn't at least respond and let you know they acknowledge the email, I don't think they're going to move you up the review stack. My 2c

Members don't see this ad :)
How long of a travel would be appropriate for sending an in the area email? For example, would a six hour drive be enough to send an in the area email?

How long of a travel would be appropriate for sending an in the area email? For example, would a six hour drive be enough to send an in the area email?

Travel so far that you would question your desire to attend the school if offered the interview contingent on repeating your travel arrangements.

Is it best to send "in area" updates via an email to the admissions committee, phone call, or with an update via a secondary if the secondary allows updates to be uploaded?

Is it best to send "in area" updates via an email to the admissions committee, phone call, or with an update via a secondary if the secondary allows updates to be uploaded?

Depends on the school. I sent an in the area request to George Washington via email, and received a reply instructing me to send it in via their official update system.

I was just about to post a thread like this. I have questions specifically about Columbia, UCSD, and UCLA.

ALSO - I read elsewhere (actually, at the link posted above, http://admit2med.com/in-the-area-email-for-interviews/) that emails should never mention another interview invitation, but just say that you are in the area. What do people think about this?

Receptive
Ohio State
Cornell
NYU
Loyola (-ish)
Einstein

Not
Mt. Sinai
U Mich

I was just about to post a thread like this. I have questions specifically about Columbia, UCSD, and UCLA.

ALSO - I read elsewhere (actually, at the link posted above, http://admit2med.com/in-the-area-email-for-interviews/) that emails should never mention another interview invitation, but just say that you are in the area. What do people think about this?

i don't believe UCSD is receptive these nor updates for that matter

Considering how difficult it is for economically disadvantaged students to get into medical school, I would hope that any school that really cares about diversity, including economic diversity, would be open to "in the area" e-mails for anyone whose application shows they're going to have a hard time affording many trips outside their hometown.

Reactions: 13 users
So...Loyola is receptive (more than -ish. lol!). Just got scheduled (about 1.5 weeks after I sent an in the area email) for an interview the day after my other Chicago interview. The admissions lady was very nice about it and actually had two available days in the same week that I had said I'd be in the area.

@blueharbor in my email I said that I was in the area for another interview (...oops?) but they didn't seem to mind.

Reactions: 3 users
Receptive
Ohio State
Cornell
NYU
Loyola
Einstein
Pritzker
University of Minnesota

Not
Mt. Sinai
U Mich
Tufts
Northwestern

I have an interview coming up at Tufts in about 2 weeks, and haven't heard anything from Boston U. I imagine it's too short-notice to expect Boston to find a slot for me for 2 weeks from now, right? Tufts lets you change your interview date up to a week before the interview though, so if I got a date for BU, I could change my Tufts interview.
So what do I say in the email? I'm hesitant to mention having an interview at another school, but it also seems weird to say I'm going to be in the area/ it would help to hear about an interview soon without giving a specific date range.

For what it's worth, I sent an ITA email to Creighton last week but have yet to hear. Will keep ya'll updated.

SLU added it to my file on monday but I haven't heard anything since. Anyone know if UCSF is receptive?

If my interview in the area is three months away from now, is it too early to be sending ITA emails? What is an appropriate time frame?

Columbia is receptive, though you aren't supposed to send it as an email. You submit it as an update via their secondary app website. As for your other question, I think for the most part you should avoid mentioning that you're in town for an interview. However, Cornell specifically says this in their app complete email:

If you have been invited to interview at a medical school in New York City or its vicinity, you are welcome to send us an e-mail message letting us know the exact dates you will be in the area.

So when I sent them an ITA email, I told them that I'm gonna be there for an interview.

Receptive
Columbia (Send as update on their application website, not via email)
Cornell
Einstein
Loyola
NYU
Ohio State
Pritzker
University of Minnesota

Not
Mt. Sinai
Northwestern
Tufts
U Mich

Alphabetized everything cause why not

I have an interview coming up at Tufts in about 2 weeks, and haven't heard anything from Boston U. I imagine it's too short-notice to expect Boston to find a slot for me for 2 weeks from now, right? Tufts lets you change your interview date up to a week before the interview though, so if I got a date for BU, I could change my Tufts interview.
So what do I say in the email? I'm hesitant to mention having an interview at another school, but it also seems weird to say I'm going to be in the area/ it would help to hear about an interview soon without giving a specific date range.

From what I understand, the general template is something like this:

I will be in [name of city] the week of [some date]. If you will be offering me an interview, I would appreciate it if it could be scheduled for that week.

Then maybe add something about how you would still be happy to come at another time if that's not possible. 2 weeks is pretty short notice, so I'm not sure that they'll be able to accommodate but I guess it doesn't hurt to try.

Anyone know if Indiana is receptive to ITA?? Also, does anyone have a solid template that's worked?

So...Loyola is receptive (more than -ish. lol!). Just got scheduled (about 1.5 weeks after I sent an in the area email) for an interview the day after my other Chicago interview. The admissions lady was very nice about it and actually had two available days in the same week that I had said I'd be in the area.

@blueharbor in my email I said that I was in the area for another interview (...oops?) but they didn't seem to mind.

So did you contact the regular admissions email with which they correspond normally? I've been on the fence if I want to send one of these... I mean, I want to but I don't want it to sound bad!

So did you contact the regular admissions email with which they correspond normally? I've been on the fence if I want to send one of these... I mean, I want to but I don't want it to sound bad!

Yeah I just sent my email to the admissions email (the one they send out secondaries with).
Basically I wrote : I'm an applicant, I will be in the area ____ week and would love to interview here during that time if you choose to extend an II...am from [blank far away place] and it would save me a trip/expenses. If not, I would be very happy to return at another time for an interview because [school name] is one of my top choices, thanks a lot of heaps :oops:

Yeah I just sent my email to the admissions email (the one they send out secondaries with).
Basically I wrote : I'm an applicant, I will be in the area ____ week and would love to interview here during that time if you choose to extend an II...am from [blank far away place] and it would save me a trip/expenses. If not, I would be very happy to return at another time for an interview because [school name] is one of my top choices, thanks a lot of heaps :oops:

Thanks a lot of heaps!! Definitely appreciate the tips and info!! :)

Receptive
Cornell
Einstein
Loyola
NYU
Ohio State
Pritzker
University of Minnesota

Not
Mt. Sinai
Northwestern
Tufts
U Mich
Penn State

Is George Washington receptive to 'in the area' e-mails?

"Hi Philadelphia schools, just wanted to let you know that I will be in the area every single day this admissions cycle. Please invite me over!"

I wish :rofl:

"Philly's more fun if you sleep over."

Receptive
Cornell
Einstein
Loyola
NYU
Ohio State
Pritzker
University of Minnesota
University of Cincinnati

Not
Mt. Sinai
Northwestern
Tufts
U Mich
Penn State
George Washington University
Georgetown University

Receptive
Cornell
Einstein
Loyola
NYU
Ohio State
Pritzker
University of Minnesota
University of Cincinnati

Not
Mt. Sinai
Northwestern
Tufts
U Mich
Penn State
Georgetown University
whoever put down georgetown...can you explain why/personal experience as to why they are not receptive?

Reactions: 1 users
Receptive
Cornell
Einstein
Loyola
NYU
Ohio State
Pritzker
University of Minnesota
University of Cincinnati

Not
Mt. Sinai
Northwestern
Tufts
U Mich
Penn State
Georgetown University
Florida State University

Receptive
Cornell
Einstein
Loyola
NYU
Ohio State
Pritzker
University of Minnesota
University of Cincinnati
SLU

Not
Mt. Sinai
Northwestern
Tufts
U Mich
Penn State
Georgetown University
Florida State University
UCSF

I think schools are becoming increasingly aware that these ITA emails are most often bullc***.

It's becoming the new letter of intent.

Wouldn't surprise me to see fewer and fewer schools receptive to these in the very near future
Funny, I never thought about people lying with these. Just require applicants to provide proof of another interview or a purchased plane ticket or something. This shouldn't become something totally ignored when it can really help applicants out financially.

Sent from my neural implant using SDN Mobile

Funny, I never thought about people lying with these. Just require applicants to provide proof of another interview or a purchased plane ticket or something. This shouldn't become something totally ignored when it can really help applicants out financially.

Sent from my neural implant using SDN Mobile

I've seen people on this board many times say something like - hey I'm gonna be in Philadelphia for a wedding. Do you think I should send an ITA email to all my East Coast schools?

And I think others just flat out lie to try and get interest from a school they haven't heard from

I've seen people on this board many times say something like - hey I'm gonna be in Philadelphia for a wedding. Do you think I should send an ITA email to all my East Coast schools?

And I think others just flat out lie to try and get interest from a school they haven't heard from

But do you honestly think schools would give an II to someone who wouldn't otherwise be granted one just because they're in the area?
You make an excellent point, but that's also something to think about.