In the area emails when you're actually not too far?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

andrewRA4

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently received an II from a neighboring state. There are two schools in the state (A & B). A has been offering a lot of IIs, and I just received one from B.
I live in the neighboring state. Probably around 3 hours to drive there for both schools. Is it ok to send an in the area email to A when I'm actually not too far?

Not sure if this will add anything, but B is a lot higher in rankings than A. Do I mention the name of B when I ask for further consideration from A?

Members don't see this ad.

You can if you want to, but it's not nearly as big a deal than if you're flying across country and in either case many schools simply don't care unless you're someone they really want, they could easily fill your spot with another applicant who is willing to make the trip. But you can send the email if you want to, if they don't want to give you the invite they'll most likely just ignore it anyway.

Okay--sounds good! I'll consider it. When is it too soon to send such emails? The interview will be early Sept.

I'd wait until med August at the earliest. Most schools haven't given many interviews out yet.