In the area for MD/PhD interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pluto101

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it ever appropriate for an MD/PhD candidate to send an "in the area" email? I have an NYC interview on a Monday/Tuesday, and I'm waiting to hear back from three other schools in NYC, all of whom are receptive to these sorts of emails when they come from MD-only applicants. I know at least one of the schools I'm applying to will be interviewing MD/PhD candidates the Friday beforehand.

Obviously, MD/PhD interviews are much more infrequent than MD interviews, where ITA emails seem to be more common. But if I make it clear that I understand it's unlikely a school would be able to schedule an interview close to when I would like, would an "in the area" email be appropriate? Or do you think it would be presumptuous somehow?

Members don't see this ad.

My health professions advising office said that it is completely okay to send an ITA email, particularly if it's quite far away from where you currently live. I had a similar situation come up a few weeks ago for my Mount Sinai/Albert Einstein interviews, and Mount Sinai's staff were extremely receptive to moving it to their next date so I could go to both surrounding a single weekend in the city. It was probably easier because this was over a month in advance of the interviews. Doing it < 2 weeks before would probably not be looked upon well.

The only thing I'm not sure about is whether an ITA request would fall on deaf ears if you don't already have an invite to the program you're emailing. I know, in the past, some people haven't gotten responses from ITA emails for MD/PhD programs, but then got interviews later in the cycle. In my opinion, it still wouldn't hurt to send it either way, as long as you're polite.

Reactions: 1 users