In training exam scores!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fever106

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What does it all mean? I am a PGY2 in internal medicine and just got my score back for this year. Last year I was in the 93 percentile with raw score of 69%. This year I was a bit sleep deprived when I took it and my percentile rank dropped to 87th, but my raw score did go up a smidge to 73%. Are these score decent? I have chief resident aspirations and I know my PD puts a lot of weight on these scores.

Members don't see this ad.

What does it all mean? I am a PGY2 in internal medicine and just got my score back for this year. Last year I was in the 93 percentile with raw score of 69%. This year I was a bit sleep deprived when I took it and my percentile rank dropped to 87th, but my raw score did go up a smidge to 73%. Are these score decent? I have chief resident aspirations and I know my PD puts a lot of weight on these scores.

it means you're going to fail IM boards if you don't study more

best drop the $400 on the medstudy

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks for sharing.

It means you may not get to be a chief and never get your cards or GI fellowship and you may be destined for a life of primary care dealing with nebulous pain complaints from middle aged fat women who have fibromyalgia and IBS.

yawn

I need to know what happened in this case! What was the new strategy? Will he make chief?

1262055260350.jpg

Wait, what?

OP asks "what does it mean that my ITE scores aren't going up?"
JDH responds "it means you need to study more, buy MedStudy."

How is that not productive?

it's possible i read into the comment too much, but it looked like JDH was being condescending. it seems that someone scoring in the 87th percentile on an ITE is unlikely to "fail IM boards." the advice seemed disingenuous. the later post with the picture seemed to be mocking, too.

it's possible i read into the comment too much, but it looked like JDH was being condescending. it seems that someone scoring in the 87th percentile on an ITE is unlikely to "fail IM boards." the advice seemed disingenuous. the later post with the picture seemed to be mocking, too.

Actually, when you ask a stupid question, you should get a stupid answer.

"Guys I've had a 4.0 all of college but now I got an A- and my GPA is 3.95, will this still be good enough to get mr into medical school?!?"

"Guys I've got a 250 on step one, honors in medicine, junior AOA a first author publication in Science and a letter from William osier, but I only had a HP in ob/gyn, do you think I have a shot of matching to residency"

:lame:

The post looked like an obvious troll and if it wasn't, I don't think I need to explain what percentile and percent correct mean.

Actually, when you ask a stupid question, you should get a stupid answer.

"Guys I've had a 4.0 all of college but now I got an A- and my GPA is 3.95, will this still be good enough to get mr into medical school?!?"

"Guys I've got a 250 on step one, honors in medicine, junior AOA a first author publication in Science and a letter from William osier, but I only had a HP in ob/gyn, do you think I have a shot of matching to residency"

:lame:

The post looked like an obvious troll and if it wasn't, I don't think I need to explain what percentile and percent correct mean.

This doesn't seem like an accurate analogy. The OP isn't worried about passing the boards (which he obviously will, given his trajectory)...he wants to know if his scores are up to par for being chief in a residency that heavily weighs on the ITE.

This doesn't seem like an accurate analogy. The OP isn't worried about passing the boards (which he obviously will, given his trajectory)...he wants to know if his scores are up to par for being chief in a residency that heavily weighs on the ITE.

The scores are fine, much better than average (you do
understand the concept of percentile, correct?). It insults my intelligence to have to hold his hand and tell him it's ok. It was a stupid question. How could any of us know how his anonymous program selects its chief(s).

You need to think a little before posting. Assuming the post was serious and not a troll.

he's a spaz and needs to shutup forever

Maybe, but he should keep in mind that when a program selects a chief, there are other factors at play besides ITE scores. For instance, the ability to kiss a PD's gluteal region.

To the OP: If you are not a troll then your scores are great and will not hinder a chief resident position. Just be sure you have a good total package and you follow Gutonc's advice and kiss ass. The reason your percent correct went up but your perentile went down is because the scores are based on PGY level. It would be expected that everyone in your PGY level would have improved from the previous year and therefore to have the same percentile rank as the year before you percent correct would have to significantly increase from the year before. Think about it...

If you are a troll then... Nice post, got a lot of people going. HAHAHA:laugh: