In Treatment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RaistlinMajere

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There's a new show that HBO is hyping called In Treatment. I'm sure you cable watchers out there are aware of it and I'm curious to get your opinion of it. The main character is a psychoanalyst. I'm not sure if he's a psychologist or psychiatrist. Anyway, does anyone have any thoughts about it? Do you think it portrays psychotherapy accurately?

Members don't see this ad.

I LOVE this show. I don't have cable, but HBO has all of the episodes on its website. The acting is phenomenal and I find all of the stories really engaging. I can't really comment on the realism of it as I'm an M4, but I have been in psychotherapy myself, and from that perspective I find it very true to the experience. I find the episodes of the therapist with his supervisor particularly interesting as you learn how he feels about his patients. Curious to hear what other people think...

omg! i am the tv queen and i cant believe i've missed this show! thank god for hbo on demand. although i dont think my opinion matters anyway since i am an ms3 and dont know anything... :) thanks for enlightening me

Members don't see this ad :)
I LOVE this show. I don't have cable, but HBO has all of the episodes on its website. The acting is phenomenal and I find all of the stories really engaging. I can't really comment on the realism of it as I'm an M4, but I have been in psychotherapy myself, and from that perspective I find it very true to the experience. I find the episodes of the therapist with his supervisor particularly interesting as you learn how he feels about his patients. Curious to hear what other people think...

I agree with you about the acting. I just watched the episode about Alex, the jet pilot, and couldn't pull myself away from it. Very entertaining. I hope this show survives. I mean I can't remember another show like this one about therapy. The whole thing is shot in one room with two (or sometimes three) people talking. It's not the most exciting show in theory, but to me, it's been riveting.

Last year, HBO cut John From Cincy, which was a huge let down after I invested my time in it. Let's hope this one makes it.

thanks for pointing out that the episodes are online! i had seen an advertisement for the show on the new york city subway, but since i don't have cable, gave up on ever watching it. but last night i watched monday, tuesday, and wednesday...all in place of reviewing more for my pediatrics shelf exam which i had this morning. i sure know my priorities! i hope they keep putting the shows up on the website is all i can say.

Does anyone know how to get the 1st week episodes on the HBO website? I can watch the 2nd week but not the first.... Thanks!

Does anyone know how to get the 1st week episodes on the HBO website? I can watch the 2nd week but not the first.... Thanks!

Yes, when you get to the page for the episode, click on "download podcast." This will take you to itunes where you can download all of the episodes for free.

Awesome. Thanks for the tip! Love the show. :thumbup:

I'm so excited for Week 3! Hope they put them up tomorrow. :)

Unless I misunderstood....there are 15 episodes available for free to download. I just opened my iTunes store and searched for "HBO". "In Treatment" came up and it listed 15 episodes and they all said free. I'm currently downloading 3 episodes. I've seen one or two of them before, but I'm going to rewatch them anyway.

Thanks again!

so i caught up on all the episodes and i am hooked. first of all, its fascinating to me that the docs on the show have offices in their houses! there is no way i would want any of my pt's knowing where i live. but aside from my paranoia, it also makes me slightly depressed that this actor is a way better therapist than i am. i know i am still in school, but i just want to be good at it already! i find myself sitting there in awe, because i dont think it would have ever occured to me to ask the questions he asks or phrase things in the way that he does. can i learn how to be a good therapist from watching hbo? :p
and as a side note, does every therapist have their own therapist? just about every show with a psychiatrist as a character is shown having sessions with their own doc. is that pretty commonplace or am i just watching too much tv?

cant wait for the new episodes!!

I'm glad this show is on. It's the first in a long time that I'm eager to watch.

With that said, this Monday's episode with Laura left me with a bit of a bad taste. It gave me the impression that the show might be heading down the path of a soap opera, beginning with Laura and Alex hooking up. More importantly, I was bothered by Paul's approach with Laura. He seemed to have an agenda and was rather aggressive about it, which seems counterproductive and contrary to the spirit of therapy. I agree that she needs limits and needs to be called on her behavior. What I question is the manner in which he goes about it. I'm not sure what the "correct" approach might be, but I am rather struck by the inappropriateness of his chosen one. I feel like he is too personally involved and it’s clouding his judgment and has the potential to harm. It feels somewhat like manipulation. I’m also surprised by his lack of a poker face. I suppose all of it is necessary for ratings. . . .

Anyone share a similar impression or have a different take on the dynamics?

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been watching the show with my wife (an MSW student about to graduate). I think it's entertaining but not quite great. I'd be very interested to hear the opinions of those who actually do therapy, although at least one psychiatrist seems to approve:
http://www.slate.com/id/2182943/

HBO seems to be big on therapy. I understand that was a significant part of The Sopranos, although I never watched it. Also, they had that show Tell Me You Love Me last season where therapy was central in the storylines.

We had a class yesterday with a prominent psychoanalyst. She basically said the show was garbage and did even more media harm to the field of psychiatry.

She mostly referred to completely inappropriate transferential issues.

:corny:

We had a class yesterday with a prominent psychoanalyst. She basically said the show was garbage and did even more media harm to the field of psychiatry.

Come now, is that even possible? I vaguely remember a paper long ago that surveyed portrayals of psychiatrists in movies and found only two accurate or favorable ones.

She mostly referred to completely inappropriate transferential issues.

Yeah, but aren't viewers supposed to know that the therapist in the show has some problems in the way he does his job, and that it could be done better if he didn't have these transferential issues? I don't think any show (at least any drama) would be very good if the protagonist were a perfect exemplar of how to do their job.

I find the therapist guy kind of boring, honestly. I like aspects of the characters though. I think he needs more patients than just 5 (including one couple). What is the normal patient load for a full time therapist like that?

I find it ridiculous that his office is in his house. Does that happen in real life anywhere? That tells his patients so much unnecessary information about him! Not to mention the office looks more like it belongs to an interior decorator who has gotten a recent shipment of high-end freebee knick knacks (that sailboat--please!) than a real therapist's office. The belt scene and the espresso machine scene were both over the top I thought. That machine should go right back where it came from.

By the way, I have never used the word "transference" before this post, because I've never been sure--is it just a fancy word for a doctor's "reaction" to their patient, or does it mean something far more sophisticated than that? I hope I am not totally misunderstanding the gist of the "issues" you're referring to, Anasazi. If I've got it right, then yeah--you can see this therapist's (ok, "Paul's") reaction a mile away in some of the scenes!

By the way, I have never used the word "transference" before this post, because I've never been sure--is it just a fancy word for a doctor's "reaction" to their patient, or does it mean something far more sophisticated than that? I hope I am not totally misunderstanding the gist of the "issues" you're referring to, Anasazi. If I've got it right, then yeah--you can see this therapist's (ok, "Paul's") reaction a mile away in some of the scenes!

Transference - the way that the patient responds to the therapist, given the patient's own background (traditionally, the patient will have a transference to the therapist affected by all of their previous relationships, especially early parental ones. So for example, a patient may respond to an older woman therapist with a maternal transference).

Countertransference - the way the therapist responds to the patient. Countertransference traditionally referred to the therapist's reaction based upon the therapist's own background, especially in childhood (this is the reason that therapists are encouraged to undergo therapy -- so they can better understand their own unconscious processes, thereby better understanding their own countertransferential tendencies). Countertransference also can refer to the response of the therapist given the patient's actual characteristics and behaviors (for example a borderline patient may use projective identification, through which the therapist is coerced into acting in a certain role, such as a persecutor, by responding to the patient's behavior -- the patient may use this because he or she cannot contain a very negative introject and so must project it onto the therapist -- and for the therapist this can be extremely frustrating. However, if the therapist is able to attentively monitor the countertransference, it can be therapeutically extremely useful.)

I've been watching this show regularly. It seems a little dry sometimes for TV, but I still find it quite intriguing. So, at one point in one of the episodes the patient tells him that his daughter is being ridiculed at school. I'm thinking seriously about going into psychiatry, and I'm wondering how the stigma of mental health effects family members. Do children of psychiatrists get this kind of attention in real life? It just seems like everyone has a joke to tell about a shrink.

I'm thinking seriously about going into psychiatry, and I'm wondering how the stigma of mental health effects family members. Do children of psychiatrists get this kind of attention in real life? It just seems like everyone has a joke to tell about a shrink.

I doubt it. I'm not a psychiatrist yet. But I did grow up in an affluent town where a few dads where psychiatrists. I didn't witness any teasing or bullying as a result of what their dad did for a living. Especially a doctor.

The sad truth is that it's far more likely that you're daughter will be ridiculed by some punk kid for something more directly related to her (i.e., funny last name, curly hair, because they secretly dig her, big nose, ears that stick out, just because, etc.) and not you. All kids get picked on at some point and a small percentage of kids can be sadistically cruel. As a dad of a 9-month old girl, I do not look forward to the day this happens, but it's the way the world works and hopefully adversity builds character.

Bottom line: I don't think you should pick a specialty with that in mind. Seriously there's too much other stuff to worry about with your kids. Psych is awesome. Don't let anyone else, tell you differently. They either don't know enough about the specialty or don't care about the same things that you do.

They either don't know enough about the specialty or don't care about the same things that you do.

This is so true! I"m already fighting this battle with my husband. Every time I discuss my specialty interests with him, he questions why I'm interested in psychiatry. I think it's really hard for him to think of mental illnesses as real, treatable medical problems. I guess I figure there aren't a lot of physicians who are willing to really take on psychiatric disorders, so if I happen to be one of them then maybe that's where I belong. I just try to keep educating people whenever I have the chance. Maybe we can change this attitude, one person at a time!

I can relate, but in my case my family has been supportive and excited. It's some of my friends who want to see me enter a different specialty. Lay people and even some physicians don't feel comfortable with mental illnesses, which presents a great opportunity for all of us. We can be advocates for a patient population that sorely needs them. I left a good job and entered medical school to help alleviate suffering and because I find science fascinating. Few suffer more than the mentally ill and no area of medicine is more interesting than the brain. For me, it's the only specialty I could see doing where I know I'll be challenged everyday, will never be bored, and help to improve patients' quality of life. Usually when I explain that to my friends they get it.

Regarding your husband, why exactly does he not think of mental illness as real? Is it because we these diseases are managed? Or is it because the brain can't get sick? Has he ever seen people with severe schizophrenia, suicide, drug abuse, or anxiety disorders? I bet if he spent some time around them he'd see that these illnesses are as real as diabetes and heart disease (both of which you manage instead of cure). If all organs can get sick, and the brain is an organ, then wouldn't it be logical that something biological is going on in these people. Of course there is a psycho-social component as well, but usually there's an underlying bio component that sets these patients up for adverse events.

It's hard for non-medical people to understand how much the treatments can help, but if you look at the data, many of the drugs are as good as treatments for other diseases.

Do what you love. If you are truly happy then it will overflow into your personal life. Which indirectly will lead to your husband's happiness.

This is so true! I"m already fighting this battle with my husband. Every time I discuss my specialty interests with him, he questions why I'm interested in psychiatry. I think it's really hard for him to think of mental illnesses as real, treatable medical problems. I guess I figure there aren't a lot of physicians who are willing to really take on psychiatric disorders, so if I happen to be one of them then maybe that's where I belong. I just try to keep educating people whenever I have the chance. Maybe we can change this attitude, one person at a time!

I like the show quite a lot. He makes mistakes, but the show is pretty good at following up with them and exploring the errors (for example, Byrne realized he was being ham handed after the Laura attempted-termination episode and recognized that he had clumsily made use of supervision--patients are very good at picking up on comments that don't ring true but which reflect a parroting of somebody else's views).

I agree about the soap opera thing: if Alex and Laura have some wild thing, it seems to me the writers are working too hard (or maybe working too little and falling back on sensationalism).

Nevertheless, I really like the way that Byrne appears to be thinking about unconscious behaviors while not simply following the usual interpersonal pleasantries. He makes use of the transference in looking for patterns and is curious about his own countertransference. The latter is one reason that people who intend to become therapists should (my opinion) go into therapy themselves. I haven't seen evidence that Byrne is an analyst, though he does use analytic techniques, and his expertise hints at another of my opinions: a psych residency prepares people to learn how to become therapists; to become an expert therapist, you have to be a genius at therapy (I haven't met one yet) or get extended supervision or training (as in ongoing therapy classes or analytic trg). The lifelong aspect of learning is crucial; the typical go-to-an-office-and-sit-there-for-30-years is one important reason that therapists become jaded.

I appreciated his focus on evidence within the room rather than some sort of "let's look at your childhood" thing. I like the way that he handles gifts and sexual overtures differently, depending on who is offering, and when. And I like the fact that his personal life is screwed up, that he is something of a mess in his own therapy/supervision, but that he maintains curiosity and passion.

Again, a little sensationalistic--how many affairs and miscarriages and sexual abuse can you compress into a couple of weeks--but I've seen all of those behaviors within a week, including stuff that would be too unpleasantly detailed for tv, and they do have to make it interesting for ratings. Anyway, I think it's the best representationof psychiatry/psychology that I've seen on the screen.

i find it odd that he talks about his patients by name with his therapist. is that common? i thought you werent allowed to do that.

i think im getting sick of this show. sometimes it moves too slow for my taste. i have no attention span!