In your honest opinion, what are my chances of getting into a higher-end med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sydneycurlysue

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 35 MCAT score (10PS - a bit low, I know, 11 VR, and 14BS). Also, so far in undergrad I have a 4.0 (Biochem major). I've done a summer research program, been involved in missions (not medical, however), am active in musical extracurricular activities (I know they look for a balanced person, not just a science nerd).... Anyhow, just wondering what the honest opinions are of you experienced ones out there on my chances of getting into a higher-end med school like Duke, Vanderbilt, Mayo, Harvard... I'm just curious if I have wasted my money applying to them... I have, by the way, applied to a lot of other schools as well.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Your MCAT/GPA will put your foot in the door, but what will get you in is the depth of your extracurriculars, recommendation letters, interviews and personal statement. A lot of these schools reject people with much higher MCATs because there is nothing special about them. I know someone with a 43 MCAT who was rejected from Stanford/Harvard, but she's going to U Penn. If you can convey something special about yourself, you will have a much higher chance of getting in. Diversity doesn't have to relate to race or culture.

Reactions: 1 user
Your numbers are fine. Get more research and clinical experience, and do more interesting things.

Members don't see this ad :)
No one can really chance you at the top 20 if you are incredibly vague about your app. Yes, relatively, you DO have a chance at those schools, although it's hard to say since you aren't saying much about your EC's. They take applicants who stand out in some way. High numbers only get your app looked at.

I have a 35 MCAT score (10PS - a bit low, I know, 11 VR, and 14BS). Also, so far in undergrad I have a 4.0 (Biochem major). I've done a summer research program, been involved in missions (not medical, however), am active in musical extracurricular activities (I know they look for a balanced person, not just a science nerd).... Anyhow, just wondering what the honest opinions are of you experienced ones out there on my chances of getting into a higher-end med school like Duke, Vanderbilt, Mayo, Harvard... I'm just curious if I have wasted my money applying to them... I have, by the way, applied to a lot of other schools as well.

Thank you!
Considering you have a modest amount of research involvement and don't mention a significant leadership activity, for consideration at a highly-selective school your experiences list would ideally highlight outstanding achievement in some other field of endeavor.

Thank you for your responses. Okay, more on my extracurricular activities, since you all asked. Sorry if it sounds narcissistic... I'm just talking about what I've done and been involved with. I'm a classical pianist - many performances of classic literature in my own recitals, many other event performances including in church and benefit concerts, chamber music experience, etc. Right now I'm practicing for my senior undergrad recital. I've invested much time and energy into piano. I think this is probably the most unique thing about me. Also, I've been on mission trips to several different countries - Ghana, India, Philippines, Argentina. Last summer I worked in a perinatal biology research lab for two months. This year I will be involved in medicinal organic chemistry research here at my university. I have worked as a TA and grader, received several awards for academic excellence, and shadowed doctors of various specialties in my hometown.

That's about all I can think of...

I apologize in advance for any typos.

I think the main thing you are missing is clinical experience. Shadowing is good, but you need some more patient contact experiences (volunteering, job etc.) The rest looks pretty good.

Reactions: 1 user

Thank you!

Why? With rare exception you can't go wrong with any US med school. The important thing is a good mutual "fit" in a location you enjoy living in. The med school you go to will likely not be a determining factor in your future success, status or happiness. My background is 37 years MD.

Matriculating a concert pianist would be a cool thing. But just bone up on whatever is the weakest in your app. The clinical experience is important to show Adcoms that you really want to be around sick people for the next 30-40 years.

No one can really chance you at the top 20 if you are incredibly vague about your app. Yes, relatively, you DO have a chance at those schools, although it's hard to say since you aren't saying much about your EC's. They take applicants who stand out in some way. High numbers only get your app looked at.
I agree with this sentiment. A 35 is below some of the top tier medians, but if you have something really special in your app that can make you stand out, you can overcome that. Without more detail about your ECs and such, it would be tough to give you a good estimate.