Inadvertently didn't list traffic violation misdemeanor on AMCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopeful_derm

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
To anyone who has experience with this, or the likes of @LizzyM or @Goro : My primary was verified beginning of August, and I applied to around 25 schools to which I have completed all of their secondaries. I have also received a couple interviews thus far. I realized very recently, via threads on here, that traffic violations are minor misdemeanors in the state of Ohio (I am an Ohio resident). Because I was unaware of this, I listed "no" in the misdemeanor section of AMCAS, even though I have a speeding violation. Realizing my mistake, I contacted each school I applied to in order to inform them of my mistake and provide them with my violation (just a minor speeding ticket). If I made it clear to each school that this was an honest mistake and provided them with the relevant info, I should be okay, right? I realize this will ultimately only be relevant if/when I am accepted at one school, but I wanted to be proactive in order to avoid a rescinded acceptance in the future.

Members don't see this ad.

My opinion? You made an honest oversight, and already honed up to it. Even if you hadn't found out until your background check post-acceptance, I don't think it would have been an issue. The fact a speeding ticket is considered a misdemeanor is (in my mind) a bit laughable. Certainly, if you had hidden that you violated academic policies or committed a less-socially-acceptable offense (e.g. underage drinking, felonies, etc) it would be different, but I think you're fine.

It's not okay to be dishonest, but flagged applications (like with misdemeanors) have more difficulty getting interviews. By not having the flag on your application initially may have actually benefited you. My only concern would be if an ADCOM thought you were trying to dodge receiving that initial application flag.

What ADCOMs truly think about your scenario would be up to them individually. Only the likes of @LizzyM can answer that, and I imagine it's up to personal choice. I've heard everything from "We throw out all flagged applications" to "Case-by-case basis."

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know of any school that throws out all flagged applications. Maybe some do. I also know that not everyone is aware of the finer points of criminal offenses in the State of Ohio. I also believe that being guilty of speeding in the State of Ohio in no way makes one unworthy of medical licensure and status as a medical student. If it really were a major issue, you'd be called on the carpet if you did the same thing a month after med school matriculation. Think about it... what sorts of things would get you hauled into the dean's office if you were guilty of them after starting med school? Speeding through Toledo is not likely to be one of them. Wishing the best of luck to the OP.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the input! I only asked because I came across a thread about someone who supposedly had an acceptance rescinded due to not reporting a misdemeanor traffic violation, so I just wanted to cover all my bases and make sure that clearing things up with admissions prior to acceptance would not land me in the same boat

supposedly had an acceptance rescinded due to not reporting a misdemeanor traffic violation

Seems unnecessarily fickle, unless the applicant was aware and intentionally avoided reporting it. As LizzyM said, a traffic misdemeanor in no way challenges potential licensure, and that's the main concern. That applicant may have risen some concerns with dishonesty, especially considering he/she may not have mentioned it to the school even after receiving their background check (which the school also receives).

As long as you reported it to the school, I would doubt that it's a concern (or at least hope this isn't a big issue, it sounds entirely irrelevant to admissions).