Incidence of Neuropathic Pain after Cooled RFA of Sacral Lateral Branch Nerves.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ampaphb

Interventional Spine
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Pain Med. 2014 Sep 15. doi: 10.1111/pme.12553. [Epub ahead of print]
Incidence of Neuropathic Pain after Cooled Radiofrequency Ablation of Sacral Lateral Branch Nerves.
Stolzenberg D, Gordin V, Vorobeychik Y.

OBJECTIVE: To determine the incidence of neuropathic pain after cooled radiofrequency ablation (RFA) of the sacral lateral branches for the treatment of chronic posterior sacroiliac joint complex pain.

DESIGN: Retrospective chart review of all patients with chronic posterior sacroiliac joint complex pain who underwent cooled RFA of the sacral lateral branches in our practice between July 2011 and February 2014.

SETTING: Single academic pain practice at a tertiary care medical center.

SUBJECTS:
Thirty-six patients with chronic posterior sacroiliac joint complex pain.

METHODS: All charts were reviewed to determine the procedure date, unilateral or bilateral, number of levels treated, and number of individual lesions. Side effects were assessed for their presence or absence, character, intensity, duration, and whether treatment was initiated or symptoms resolved spontaneously.

RESULTS:
Forty-eight separate procedures were performed, with a total of 193 levels and 430 lesions. Three patients had transient postprocedure neuropathic pain yielding a 0.7% (95% confidence interval [CI] ± 0.4%) rate of this complication per lesion. This proportion increases to 6.2% (95% CI ± 3.5%) per procedure and to 9.4% (95% CI ± 5.2%) per patient.

CONCLUSION: The incidence of postprocedural neuropathic pain after cooled RFA for posterior sacroiliac joint complex denervation is low and in a similar range to that in the lumbar spine. We consider this procedure safe to be utilized by pain medicine practitioners.

PMID: 25220749

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Lead author just PM'd me to let me know he is a member of this forum. I am more and more impressed with the folks on here, and am honored to be among you.

Reactions: 1 user