Include parental info on FAFSA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swindoll

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there any disadvantage to including my parents information (combined income ~$50,000) on FAFSA? Will I qualify for more $ in subsidized loans if I don't include it? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

There are no subsidized loans in grad school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ever heard of subsidized Stafford loan?
I asked about disadvantages of listing parental info on FAFSA. This is not something you can just Google, hence this thread.
Subsidized Stafford loans have not been available to graduate and professional students since July 1, 2012.

However, HPSL is subsidized. You must provide parental info on FAFSA to determine your eligibility to receive HPSL.

I cannot think of any disadvantages to providing parental info on FAFSA, except the hassle, especially if your school doesn't participate in HPSL or give many need-based scholarships.

It looks like UF CoD isn't a participating school for HPSL. https://ersrs.hrsa.gov/ReportServer...PROG/HPSL_Loan_Program_List&rs:Format=HTML4.0 Might want to confirm with their financial aid office though.

(Found most of this via Google, btw.)

Will I qualify for more $ in subsidized loans if I don't include it?
No.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Subsidized Stafford loans have not been available to graduate and professional students since July 1, 2012.

However, HPSL is subsidized. You must provide parental info on FAFSA to determine your eligibility to receive HPSL.

I cannot think of any disadvantages to providing parental info on FAFSA, except the hassle, especially if your school doesn't participate in HPSL or give many need-based scholarships.

It looks like UF CoD isn't a participating school for HPSL. https://ersrs.hrsa.gov/ReportServer...PROG/HPSL_Loan_Program_List&rs:Format=HTML4.0 Might want to confirm with their financial aid office though.

No.
This is what I wanted to know! Thanks! I'll be sure to use Google next time lol

Reactions: 1 user
There are no subsidized loans in grad school.

I can research that kind of information online without having to ask about it

https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/types/loans/subsidized-unsubsidized

HPSL is subsidized, I received 11k from my school.

How about you google how not to be RUDE.

No.

Buffalo isn't on the list either but I was surprised when I received it last year.

Reactions: 2 users
HPSL is subsidized, I received 11k from my school.

How about you google how not to be RUDE.

Buffalo isn't on the list either but I was surprised when I received it last year.
Thanks, but I must admit my responses to him/her were a little sassy too lol

No.
Btw, do you think schools that are on that list are in the end more affordable because with HPSL interest won't start to accrue until after graduation?

My school provides grants and low interest loans for students with financial need, but it's only if they submit their parental FAFSA information.

My school provides grants and low interest loans for students with financial need, but it's only if they submit their parental FAFSA information.
Same, that's why I ended up including my parents' into

Btw, do you think schools that are on that list are in the end more affordable because with HPSL interest won't start to accrue until after graduation?
No idea. I think there are too many factors at play to know for sure. From my understanding, the participating schools themselves decide who gets what and how much re: the HPSL. Someone earlier in this thread said that they received an 11K HPSL, but that might not be a huge advantage if tuition is 60K/yr and the other 49K is being covered using unsubsidized loans.

And like Kittenz said above, some schools may not provide HPSL but instead offer grants, scholarships, and/or school-specific loans that would rival or outright dominate the HPSL.