Including Alcohol Related Interest on Hobbies & Interests section

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Juice Loosener

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I sent in my ERAS last week including 'craft beer' amongst my list of some 20 hobbies/interests. Under advice of a good friend I thought it would be okay to leave it in. After talking with some others today who highly disapprove, I worry that I may have made a big mistake leaving it in. Will programs think I am an alcoholic or unprofessional for including that and weed me out for interview? btw I am applying into orthopaedics and the rest of my hobbies were benign (fishing, reading, etc.) Let me know what you guys think!

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't want to be a resident at a program that thought it was unprofessional or haphazard to include "craft beer" as an interest

Home brewing is a great hobby.

If I had an interviewee who brewed his own beer, or was a certified taster, or something like that... I'd be interested to talk to him about that and figure out what his passions are and see how excited he gets when discussing something he devotes his time to, hoping that same zeal translates into his work.

Don't sweat it, any responsible adult enjoys a good adult beverage

Putting in your application is only a bad idea if you aren't prepared to answer questions about it. Because I bet somebody is going to want to talk beer with you.

Reactions: 1 user
Way too much for a prospective ortho resident. You're going to have time for 1 hobby - Lifting. Get used to it.
I assume the hobbies section went something like this:
Lifting
Getting Swole
Protein
Steroids Supplements
Flexing
Bro-ing down
Home brewing

Reactions: 1 users
I assume the hobbies section went something like this:
Lifting
Getting Swole
Protein
Steroids Supplements
Flexing
Bro-ing down
Home brewing

To be fair, maybe he divided lifting into separate "hobbies" -- squats, curls, presses, raises, lifts, etc. You could get to 20 easily.

Reactions: 3 users