Incoming M1 c/o 2020 Back to school thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Lol I'm dreading that "getting to know each other" part of orientation where we all share what we did over the summer...I feel like everyone else is travelling and doing other awesome things, and I'm in Mistake on the Lake working at an ice cream shop. Not that it's not fun, I love it, but it sounds so boring.
I'll be doing the same exact thing. CLE and DQ lol

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Stupid question perhaps but are y'all planning on wearing backpacks in med school? Or graduating to messenger bags? I feel like I'll look like a first grader on his first day of school again if I come to class with a backpack

Reactions: 1 user
I will be wearing a backpack for sure. I also got a super cute, colorful laptop case:D

Members don't see this ad :)
Stupid question perhaps but are y'all planning on wearing backpacks in med school? Or graduating to messenger bags? I feel like I'll look like a first grader on his first day of school again if I come to class with a backpack
From what I've seen a lot of people wear backpacks! It probably depends on the school :)

Thought I'd post here and creep less.
Housing- 1100 for 1bd/1ba half a mile from class because I have had horrible luck with roomies and my SO still works full time thank god
Backpack- I dropped a pretty penny on a nice backpack during undergrad so I'm not leaving it behind. From what I've seen a lot of medstudents at my school have backpacks.

Unrelated note: what are y'all going to wear for the first day of orientation/classes??
Serious question, I'm freaking out over here about the lack of professional clothes in my closet and wondering how much I'm gonna have to drop on looking fly af

Reactions: 6 users

In Canada the entire year of students from every school get a backpack that's a colour specific to that graduating class. It's pretty cool, and a nice backpack. It's almost a part of pre-med culture at this point... striving to have a backpack. It also acts as a cool way to identify other med students on flights, trips abroad, electives etc.

Reactions: 3 users
Unrelated note: what are y'all going to wear for the first day of orientation/classes??
Serious question, I'm freaking out over here about the lack of professional clothes in my closet and wondering how much I'm gonna have to drop on looking fly af
Seems like slacks and dress shirts w/ tie for guys is the norm for the white coat ceremony and maybe some initial classes. I would buy (for when you start meeting patients) a couple pairs of slacks (1 khaki, 1 dark colored) and a few dress shirts to rotate... couple ties and you should be good.

Same here. My classes' Facebook page is already filled with first year students asking for PowerPoint slides and supplemental texts and I'm over here in Hawaii. I don't know if I'm going to be in the proper mindset by the time school starts.
Those ms-'heroes' are trying too hard. You'll have the proper mindset come orientation don't sweat it. This is one of the last summers where you can be care free. Live it up.

Since lots are talking about rent, I'm paying 940 a month for a 1br/1ba, plus 120 a month for a parking spot in the underground lot. Not ideal, but there is no parking at my school, like seriously, none. I'll be paying probably 100 dollars more than I could have, but will be in walking distance to school, so I don't have to ride bus, or drive to school, only to park and walk 10-15 minutes.

I enjoy going on SDN because most of you guys have the same questions as me. No idea what to wear on first day of orientation, but I'm hoping/assuming we'll be told something closer to the day. Didn't even think about the backpack thing....will definitely use one, but now I don't know if I'll bring it for first day of orientation or not...

I will be paying 400 per month including utilities for a house basement by myself and my own bathroom plus 250 per month for lunch and dinner. Does that sound reasonable?

Thought I'd post here and creep less.
Housing- 1100 for 1bd/1ba half a mile from class because I have had horrible luck with roomies and my SO still works full time thank god
Backpack- I dropped a pretty penny on a nice backpack during undergrad so I'm not leaving it behind. From what I've seen a lot of medstudents at my school have backpacks.

My school sent a schedule for the 3 days of orientation and the first day is straight-up business attire (ie. suits) and the latter two are business casual. I think other schools would mention a dress code if they wanted something specific.

I'll be doing the same exact thing. CLE and DQ lol

Hahaha that's actually pretty funny. I don't even think I've ever seen a DQ around here, east side or west side?

I will be paying 400 per month including utilities for a house basement by myself and my own bathroom plus 250 per month for lunch and dinner. Does that sound reasonable?
That sounds like heaven. At ucsf, students are given a 1500/mo housing allowance. 1100 to 1400 for a room in a house is common. I won't miss SF housing prices at all.

That sounds like heaven. At ucsf, students are given a 1500/mo housing allowance. 1100 to 1400 for a room in a house is common. I won't miss SF housing prices at all.
Hahaha I won't call this state as heaven or even compare it with SF:) let say I am given 800/month for housing but when I calculate my cost of living is 15K per year (including rent utilities transportation insurance parking food) . Is it reasonable still? I saw someone posted 10K per year lmao. This is my first time living based on loan and without income so I just want to make sure I keep it average or below.

Members don't see this ad :)

Yeah I've got a backpack I'll be wearing.

It's a Titleist bag and has the logo of my country club embroidered on it. The former showcases my middle-aged manliness while the latter advertises my white privilege.

That will help me to look mature and fit in among all the future rich doctors right?

I've always been kinda anti-backpack myself. Didn't even use one in college. Looking for a nice tote or messenger bag... If anyone has found a cute backpack alternative, post it!

Idc if I look like a nerd, I'm wearing a backpack. To this day I swear that wearing a shoulder bag in high school caused (or at least exacerbated) the rotator cuff tendinitis that forced me to quit swimming.

I've always been kinda anti-backpack myself. Didn't even use one in college. Looking for a nice tote or messenger bag... If anyone has found a cute backpack alternative, post it!
Raccoon_0.jpg

super cute!

Reactions: 4 users
Also team backpack :hardy:

Cheap af, can we swap?

At my old job, I was given a Timbuktu messenger bag and I LOVE it - it's so durable (in great shape after 2 years of daily use) and worth the money, in my opinion (though, I didn't pay for it). There are good, professional colors and multiple size options, too.

But, I'll probably also be using my plain black backpack because I like it.

Our orientation is a week long and it's business casual except for the day we do life support certification.

I'm hype! Very tired of doing essentially nothing with my time and I'm ready to become a productive member of society lol.

Reactions: 4 users
I need suggestions!!! I am having major abdominal surgery next week and I will have a long recovery where I cannot do much because I will not be allowed to lift more than 5 pounds for at least a month. Please send me recommendations for books or other activities to keep me from going insane before I start school mid August. Thanks is advance!!! :)

I need suggestions!!! I am having major abdominal surgery next week and I will have a long recovery where I cannot do much because I will not be allowed to lift more than 5 pounds for at least a month. Please send me recommendations for books or other activities to keep me from going insane before I start school mid August. Thanks is advance!!! :)
what kind of books do you like: fiction/non fiction?
I also recommend listening to podcasts like Radiolab, Things you should know, Sword and scale, etc.

I am really enjoying Heart Matters -- maybe because I am also a very blunt and take-no ones-shizz kind of person and can relate to many of the things the female surgeon speaks about.
But for non-medical, go re-read .. or read .. Harry Potter :D
Also, if you have a PS4, The Division is okay. Certainly not to my caliber of Kingdom Hearts or Final Fantasy, but good if you like shooters.

Reactions: 1 users
what kind of books do you like: fiction/non fiction?
I also recommend listening to podcasts like Radiolab, Things you should know, Sword and scale, etc.
I am open to all books, but not really into scifi.

Wow. In my time being anxious about starting school, I completely forgot that students need something to take their school supplies in...

Or do they? If you plan on taking most of your notes on a laptop, is there anything else you really need to bring besides...the laptop? What do people even take to class? During post-bac, I just took my purse with a folder that had all the necessary papers in it... and a notebook to take notes. But that was back in the day when I did my notes by hand. Do people bring writing utensils? Totally showing my age now since I don't even remember what people take to school anymore...:sorry:

I have been out of school for 2 years now, how do you even school anymore?! :D

Reactions: 12 users
Listen to RadioLab and Serial podcasts! Also Only Human from WNYC is great.

At my old job, I was given a Timbuktu messenger bag and I LOVE it - it's so durable (in great shape after 2 years of daily use) and worth the money, in my opinion (though, I didn't pay for it). There are good, professional colors and multiple size options, too.

But, I'll probably also be using my plain black backpack because I like it.
Yes! I've had a timbuk2 for a few years now and I love it. I was thinking I might want something a little more fashionable/professional but then I discovered that they have loads of new styles since when I bought mine. I'll probably stick with timbuk2!

Last edited:
@trini818 If you (or anyone else) like/loves Harry Potter- look into The Magicians trilogy by Lev Grossman, it's kind of like a more adult Harry Potter with the magic school being a college (& in NY!)

also, pretty excited for HP & the Cursed Child script book to come out end of July

EDIT: good luck with your surgery and recovery!

EDIT2: Also, Limetown podcast was pretty entertaining. Only 1 'season' so far.

I am open to all books, but not really into scifi.
From fiction, my two recent favorites are "Cutting for Stone" by Abraham Verghese and "The secret wisdom of the Earth" by Christopher Scotton. ( the books I would love to re read eventually again)

From fiction, my two recent favorites are "Cutting for Stone" by Abraham Verghese and "The secret wisdom of the Earth" by Christopher Scotton. ( the books I would love to re read eventually again)

I second Cutting for Stone. I'm also reading My Own Country by Abraham Verghese (it's my summer reading assignment) and I'd recommend that one as well.

@trini818 check out The Memory Keeper's Daughter, and A Prayer for Owen Meany. Those are two of my favorites.

I have been out of school for 2 years now, how do you even school anymore?! :D
Me too.

Downstate sent us a 60 page OChem and Biochem review packet. I know a surprising amount, but literally every time I've read it I've fallen asleep.

Walking, lots of walking. Start around your neighborhood. You will be surprised about the people you will consistently see walking the dog, doing yard work, etc. The walking will help you develop your stamina, and get you off the couch, and help with your energy.

Me too.

Downstate sent us a 60 page OChem and Biochem review packet. I know a surprising amount, but literally every time I've read it I've fallen asleep.

thats pretty intense, I'd be scared to see how little I remember when I took those classes....4-5 years ago :cryi:

A friend of mine just finished second year & gave me this little box set of Netters Anatomy Flash Cards. They've been sitting on my dresser for a month now, I'm tempted to open them and start skimming... but hey, why ruin the surprise come August?

Me too.

This is AWFUL. I learned nothing in either of those classes. All that packet would do is make me feel stupid and give me a panic attack about starting medical school.

Reactions: 5 users
No, this is actually really good. I can't imagine what movers would cost! (We are travelling basically coast to coast, so it won't be cheap.)
Worst case scenario, I bite the bullet on the upfront cost and take it back in loans.
I know you posted this forever ago but I just found this thread. We are moving across the country as well (34 hours). Idk what you drive but we decided to buy a cargo trailer, use it for the move, and just sell it again once we get out there. Also, I think it will be nice to have it for a few days out there while we are getting some new furniture, etc.

@Lannister your name just reminded me - for people looking for stuff to do in the next ~2 months - WATCH GAME OF THRONES (if you aren't already)

@Lannister your name just reminded me - for people looking for stuff to do in the next ~2 months - WATCH GAME OF THRONES (if you aren't already)
Also read A Song of Ice and Fire, it's even better than the show!
And watch Battlestar Galactica, best show ever, even better than Game of Thrones.

@Lannister reading the books is on my to-do list. I think once this season finishes, and there's 42 weeks of waiting for season 7, I might haha

Also, VEEP and Silicon Valley are both great too if you want to round out your Sunday evening TV watching to a solid 2 hours

Leaving my job on Friday, then traveling internationally with my mom for 3 weeks to visit family, then coming back home and chilling for about 3 weeks before heading off to school August 1.

Being from the Bay Area and going to college in LA, moving now to the midwest is great for rent. I'm getting my own bedroom (with two roommates) in a super nice apartment complex with great facilities and amenities for about $630/month - that's how much I paid to split an apartment with four guys in a ghetto neighborhood in LA, with my room being super small and only having space for my bed, my roommate's bed, and the closet.

Hoping to spend some good time with family and friends this summer. I also wanted to see the Sharks finally win the Stanley Cup for the first time before going off, but it looks like that ain't happening lol

To buy: Apartment lease, Car shipping (really don't want to straight up put 2000 miles on my car in one go), new furniture for the apartment, a non-reference GTX 1070 GPU to put into my new VR-ready tower, basic cooking equipment and slow cooker, whiteboard.

At the moment I'm trying to lose weight and attempting to work out more so that I can be in shape when school starts (outlook: poor. someone recommend me a good work-out regiment please!). Very antsy to get started with med school but at the same time I can definitely feel that I'm taking it all too lightly and will be in for a nasty shock when things really start picking up.

To buy: Apartment lease, Car shipping (really don't want to straight up put 2000 miles on my car in one go), new furniture for the apartment, a non-reference GTX 1070 GPU to put into my new VR-ready tower, basic cooking equipment and slow cooker, whiteboard.

At the moment I'm trying to lose weight and attempting to work out more so that I can be in shape when school starts (outlook: poor. someone recommend me a good work-out regiment please!). Very antsy to get started with med school but at the same time I can definitely feel that I'm taking it all too lightly and will be in for a nasty shock when things really start picking up.
How much are you looking at to ship your car? I'm thinking about similar things but leaning towards not bringing my car until later...

On the same boat with working out. I've been trying to get myself to start running but I come up with a lot of excuses lol. SDN running buddies support group?

@workoutpeople

After going to the gym <10 times in my entire previous existence, I lost 30 pounds and began to put on muscle (#abs!!!) all during the first 6 months of my gap year. Doing all that while working full-time and filling out primaries/secondaries/etc was no easy task but I was able to get a routine going and used some easy motivation tricks to keep myself on track. PM me if you guys wanna chat about what works and what doesn't! I'm certainly no expert, but I made it happen and so can you!

Also, being dumped by your skinny blonde model girlfriend (read: cheating bi**h) helps a lot too. So try to find one of those and get tragically dumped if possible

Reactions: 7 users
@workoutpeople

After going to the gym <10 times in my entire previous existence, I lost 30 pounds and began to put on muscle (#abs!!!) all during the first 6 months of my gap year. Doing all that while working full-time and filling out primaries/secondaries/etc was no easy task but I was able to get a routine going and used some easy motivation tricks to keep myself on track. PM me if you guys wanna chat about what works and what doesn't! I'm certainly no expert, but I made it happen and so can you!

Also, being dumped by your skinny blonde model girlfriend (read: cheating bi**h) helps a lot too. So try to find one of those and get tragically dumped if possible
PMing you now! Have to say though, I'll pass on being dumped :(

This is AWFUL. I learned nothing in either of those classes. All that packet would do is make me feel stupid and give me a panic attack about starting medical school.

Not going to lie ... I feel slightly less panicked knowing that I'm not the only one who has blocked out Orgo and Biochem.

Not sure where I'm going to be living this year.

The cheapest places are literally a room in a house for like $450 a month.

Then one step up is sharing a 3 BR house with 2 other people which ends up being $500-$550 a month before utilities

a 2 BR house is like $700-750 a month and then a studio is $1100 a month.

I'm thankful the area around my school has a relatively low cost of living, but I still don't think I can justify paying for a studio. Probably going to end up in a 2 BR with a roommate since living with 1 other person is probably the max i'd be willing to put up with. I still feel guilty about the cost though compared to a 3 BR house.

Beats paying 1200-1300 a piece for a 2BR...and that's the standard in my area without a car. Sure you could live further away from school for cheaper rent but you'd need a car and would just end paying the same thing lmao. Studios will run you about 16-1800.

Oh and don't feel guilty about being able to go cheaper with a 3BR. Comfort at home needs to be a priority. Medschool is stressful. Don't stress yourself out more trying to pinch pennies into dust.

Last edited: