Incoming resident in need of Starkville sublet!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

turnbackhelly

Cornell CVM c/o 2014
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all - I'm moving to Starkville this summer to start a residency. My lease doesn't start until Aug 1 but my first day is July 15, so I've been trying and failing to find a sublease for July 14th isn to Aug 1. I've been scouring craigslist and airbnb without any luck. It would be just me and my super friendly, super quiet, house and crate trained longhaired whippet (she may or may not have her own IG, @henle_the_whippet, for your stalking pleasure). If you have a room/apt to sublet, or know of someone who does, I would appreciate any leads! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! I can ask around and check my State class of 2020 fb group for you. You can't join it but there's tons of housing offers there. Have you met or had communication with Missy yet? She sometimes shares offers I think. Also try starkvegas.com

Understandly it's going to be sort of hard. Starkville is a small southern college town. Not much in the way of places to live, most of which go to students. Not much flexibility either. Can I ask what your residency is? :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Understandly it's going to be sort of hard. Starkville is a small southern college town. Not much in the way of places to live, most of which go to students. Not much flexibility either. Can I ask what your residency is? :)

Yeah, I'm learning that quickly. Not the greatest first impression so far :( I'll be a resident in neurology/neurosurgery.

Yeah, I'm learning that quickly. Not the greatest first impression so far :( I'll be a resident in neurology/neurosurgery.

Lol, they call it Starkvegas for the irony :p I don't know if you've visited the CVM yet but it will greatly change any first impression of the surrounding town you may have. I'm super excited to attend!!

I've been having the same issue for where I'm going for my internship. I start June 20th, but my lease starts July 1st. I'm moving to Providence so I might have some more options, but I was also looking around on rotatingroom.com. Seems to be a website where students are looking to sublet their places. I had a better time finding some shorter term sublets. I'm still waiting to hear back if a place allows pets though.

Hey congratulations!!! I was actually really surprised by how much I really liked the program at MS State when I visited!

(not so much Starkville itself though...good luck!)

Reactions: 1 user
Hey! I can ask around and check my State class of 2020 fb group for you. You can't join it but there's tons of housing offers there. Have you met or had communication with Missy yet? She sometimes shares offers I think. Also try starkvegas.com

I have not met or communicated with Missy, but if you see any housing offers for July on your class's page please keep me in mind! I'll also check starkvegas.com, thanks!

I've been having the same issue for where I'm going for my internship. I start June 20th, but my lease starts July 1st. I'm moving to Providence so I might have some more options, but I was also looking around on rotatingroom.com. Seems to be a website where students are looking to sublet their places. I had a better time finding some shorter term sublets. I'm still waiting to hear back if a place allows pets though.

Good idea - thanks for the advice! Good luck with your internship. Ocean State? One of my good friends did her rotating there and seemed to like it a lot.

Hey congratulations!!! I was actually really surprised by how much I really liked the program at MS State when I visited!

Thanks! Was not expecting to match there, and felt similarly conflicted about the program :) and the location :(. In the end a residency is a residency, and less fun to be had = more time for studying. Where are you headed?

Thanks! Was not expecting to match there, and felt similarly conflicted about the program :) and the location :(. In the end a residency is a residency, and less fun to be had = more time for studying. Where are you headed?

I'm going to Mizzou, under interesting circumstances though (I will send a PM!).

At my interview, a lot of the people I was interviewing with said the very same thing. They were so impressed with the school, as was I! I had a really strong feeling I'd end up there, and I was right, it's the only school that took me! As for Starkville, IMO I think it's actually pretty big, but I grew up in a town of 2500... So im the minority! The town was literally founded around the Mississippi State campus, so the school is the main focus and everything else just circles it. But the less fun to be had = more time studying DEF holds true for schools in small towns.

As for Starkville, IMO I think it's actually pretty big, but I grew up in a town of 2500... So im the minority! The town was literally founded around the Mississippi State campus, so the school is the main focus and everything else just circles it. But the less fun to be had = more time studying DEF holds true for schools in small towns.

I've lived in lots of places over the past few years - Philly, Ithaca, NYC, San Diego currently - but none as small as Starkville. It will be interesting for me, especially as a liberal yankee. I just keep telling myself that I didn't think I'd like Ithaca when I moved there, and I'd go back there in a heartbeat!

Hey longtime no see!!! And congrats :)

You totally should post about the whole success story of not going to "your dream school" as you'd imagined it as a prevet. People always have a hard time with that. And here you are, living proof ;)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Also try the Facebook page MSU Vet Students: Buy, Sell, and Trade. A lot of people are posting housing things on there too. Welcome to the fam! Personally, I really like the clinicians on neuro. Hope you do as well! Good luck

Last edited:
Also try the Facebook page MSU Vet Students: Buy, Sell, and Trade. A lot of people are posting housing things on there too. Welcome to the fam! Personally, I really like the clinicians on neuro. Hope you do as well! Good luck

Thanks, this is a great suggestion! I've messaged a few people and also posted what I'm looking for, maybe I'll get lucky! The neuro people are great, I agree.

Hey longtime no see!!! And congrats :)

You totally should post about the whole success story of not going to "your dream school" as you'd imagined it as a prevet. People always have a hard time with that. And here you are, living proof ;)

Oh haaaaay! What a long and interesting road it has been. I think overall my story is less than inspirational (at least that's how it feels to me, 2 internships deep...), but truth be told by graduation I was super happy I had gone to Cornell and not where I had initially wanted to go. Maybe in a few years if I make it through residency alive and can finally maybe live like a real adult, I can write a glamorous account of my journey haha. But yes, if anyone out there needs a pep talk, GO TO YOUR CHEAPEST VET SCHOOL OPTION even if it's not your dream school. That's the only thing I've done right! ;)

Reactions: 2 users