Incoming Ross University Veterinary School student with questions!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aroe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I am going to be leaving to attend Ross University Veterinary School in St. Kitts in about a month and had some questions...

If i bring extra suitcases can I pack food from home to bring along to try and save $?
If so do I still pay taxes?
Can I bring other items such as ink cartridges and school supplies along in a suitcase without being taxed?

Do you know relatively how expensive it is to ship things there?

How much do you usually pay per month for utilities? ie. Water, electric, internet, cable?

Look forward to hearing from some people so I can plan ahead :) thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there! I just started at Ross in January, so I will do my best to answer your questions!

As far as the food goes, I would skip bringing food down and save the space for more important things. You will have so much to bring down at first, that you will be crammed for space. You can find a lot of American-brand food here, and while it is slightly more expensive as a whole, it's not outrageous to me. I usually spend about $100-$150 U.S. every 2-3 weeks on groceries.

I've never had food shipped here from home, so I can't say if they will tax you or not for it.

I brought down all of my school supplies in my suitcase - books, notebooks, post-its, etc and was not taxed for any of it. I also brought down my own printer and ink cartridges and was not taxed for that either.

However, if you have stuff shipped in a barrel, I believe they will check the barrels at Customs and may tax you accordingly, but they don't check stuff at the airport.

Never had things shipped, so I can't say how expensive it is. However, I know of a LOT of people who shipped things in barrels using that Tropical Shipping company, and the barrels didn't arrive until like a month later! So don't put anything in the barrels that you will need right away.

If you are in the dorms, you don't have to worry about water, cable, or internet - it's all included in your rent, which they take out of your Financial Aid at the beginning of the semester, so you don't have to worry about it!

When you move off-campus, the price of cable and internet may or may not be included in your rent price. It just depends on the landlord. I believe water is usually included in the rent. However, usually electricity is NOT included in the rent price, and it just depends on how much you run your Air Conditioner every month!

Sorry if that was not very helpful! But I saw that no one has replied yet and thought I would throw in my 2 cents.