Inconsistent Scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BloodySurgeon

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I sometimes feel the MCAT is one big verbal test. Everytime I take the test, the questions i get wrong are passage based. I have a huge verbal problem, but since im a good test-taker my scores become totally random sometimes. I go from a BS-12 to a BS-8 and everything inbetween. I got a VR-11 to a VR-6 and a PS-11 to a PS-9. Ive scored 7 times 25 and three times 31 and nothing inbetween. The harder test that most ppl score lower, I scored higher.

I took Kaplan and the lesson book is a joke. On practices I sometimes score 100% and sometimes score 50% on the same subject. Ive started with a high diagnostics and many ppl that I tutor in the sciences score higher than me. One in perticular, was horrible at the sciences (I know, since I pretty much tutored her throughout the MCAT) and she is scoring in the 36-40 range.

Is the MCAT one big verbal test? I swear, since the descretes are easy and there really isnt enough time 2 understand everything in the passage unless ur a good reader.

Members don't see this ad.

You're definitely not alone. The MCAT is largely an analytical exam that requires you to apply your basic science knowledge to theories and experimental data that you've never seen, heard of, or even cared about. Unfortunately this takes the form of very densely written passages. And to do it quickly. That's what makes this test so challenging. Else, most premeds could simply memorize they're way to a perfect score like most of us probably do in our college courses.

I'd look up the days where you scored better more closely. Were you more concentrated that day? Did you eat before taking the test? Things like that. I mean, getting a 31 on three different tests is probably not a fluke.

You can also look at the days where your scores were not as good. Were you not as concentrated on the seven days that you got a 25? I'm sure you can find something.

If you don't feel that you were different on the days that you scored better (as compared to the days you were scoring lower), then you must've been just lucky to get the scores of 31. Don't count on it on the real MCAT. I guess you should practice more ;).

And, yea.. MCAT is a verbal test. The test is in English. And because English is my second language, I can totally relate to you. But what can we do? Lol, I've known enough non-native speakers who scored really well. All we can do is just concentrate and get the right concept from the reading.

Good luck on your test!

when the adrenaline hits from the real test and you are totally focused you will do well :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I sometimes feel the MCAT is one big verbal test. Everytime I take the test, the questions i get wrong are passage based. I have a huge verbal problem, but since im a good test-taker my scores become totally random sometimes. I go from a BS-12 to a BS-8 and everything inbetween. I got a VR-11 to a VR-6 and a PS-11 to a PS-9. Ive scored 7 times 25 and three times 31 and nothing inbetween. The harder test that most ppl score lower, I scored higher.

I took Kaplan and the lesson book is a joke. On practices I sometimes score 100% and sometimes score 50% on the same subject. Ive started with a high diagnostics and many ppl that I tutor in the sciences score higher than me. One in perticular, was horrible at the sciences (I know, since I pretty much tutored her throughout the MCAT) and she is scoring in the 36-40 range.

Is the MCAT one big verbal test? I swear, since the descretes are easy and there really isnt enough time 2 understand everything in the passage unless ur a good reader.
Exactly true, it is all English based and verbal yes, I score very low on verbal, english is not my first language, and I score high on scienes because I have a very diverse backgound on all the topics, which sometimes I answer without going back to the passage, because I am a slow reader, and every question that I get wrong is passage based, not concept, either I read and didn't understand the passage, or missed something between the lines. As for memorizing and what others are saying, no does not have to be, the DAT test is not passage based and memorization will not sail you through, and I think the mcat can be like that, the way it is now, I don't think it is fair wo people who are not fast readers and good in english.

Yea, English was not my first language either. I realize its not sympathetic, but we gotta suck it up regarding it being fair. Its a test given by the association of AMERICAN medical colleges. Its a test for admission into AMERICAN (and canadian) med schools. Considering how these are ENGLISH speaking schools (aside from a small few french and spanish in canada and carrib), and how the test is partly used as a predictive measure of your success, why shouldn't it be in english?

Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses. Science majors will generally suck at VR and WS, Non-Sci majors will generally suffer through PS and BS.

What's tough about the passages if that they often give new, deeper info in very dense and obscure writing. You have to reason to figure out what the hell the variables of this funky new formula mean.

Are you such a slow reader that you seriously cannot read every single word before time is called? I'm not talking about finishing the exam, because finishing accounts for the time it takes time to think, but simply reading the words silently in your head. You should be able to. For non-speed readers (I'm a slow reader myself), we actually only finish reading, maybe at most, a few minutes after a faster reader at the end of a section. We have to make up for it by thinking faster and more carefully.

There's obviously a reason why the MCAT is different from the DAT, but that's another argument for another time.

Frankly, the MCAT is a difficult, horrible, beastly test. But if you want entrance into one of america's most competitive and elite professions, it rightfully should be difficult. You have to study hard, practice, and overcome it... and you will! And when you do, it will be a greater testament to your own character for having to overcome the English barrier.

A little off topic and slightly late to this convo, but I'm taking the mcat in 3 days and was wondering if anyone had any advice.
I'm just really uneasy about voiding or not because I never know how I do. Like I averaged 30's on BR, TPR, and AAMC CBTs...but aren't BR and TPR ones supposed to be harder?!

Also, does anyone know what the greatest discrepancy is between what people averaged on their AAMC's, and what they actually got? I had a friend who claimed the highest he got on practice tests was a 36, and ended up getting a 40.

I had a friend who claimed the highest he got on practice tests was a 36, and ended up getting a 40.

Definitely possible. The difference between the two scores might only be 4-5 questions.

Maybe he got tested on topics he was a beast at (or maybe he was lucky) - in the end it doesn't matter.