Incorrect SSN

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BLACKMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I cannot believe this happened today...

Right before hitting submit on AMCAS you have the option to run your own background check with the Certiphi website. I opted to do this, paid for it, then downloaded my confirmation. My social security is wrong! I called their customer service and they said they would put a note with it to correct before running my background. This led to another hour of scouring my app before submission because I couldn't believe I made such a careless mistake.

Anyway, question is, when the schools run my background it will be a separate process correct? The social on my AMCAS app is correct. I just want to make sure it isn't generated from the application I just submitted to Certiphi.

Members don't see this ad.

They're going to correct the SSN, so what is the problem? That would result in not only Certiphi having your correct SSN, but the schools having your correct SSN as well.

99.9% of this process is all automatic. I'm not 100% certain of course, as I am not well versed in this, but if Certiphi is correcting it, and the schools pull directly from the original Certiphi, that Certiphi would update/correct what the schools will see.

Ask Certiphi and/or chat with AMCAS

They cannot change my social on my app apparently. They accept it "as is" according to their rep on the phone. So if regenerated from my personal app, it would still be incorrect.

But it is correct on AMCAS and it appears thats how medical schools would generate a background check. All is fine and well again.. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, if you have never had a misdemeanor, felony or anything else, there should be no need to run a background check on yourself right?

I've had some parking tickets, about it.

They cannot change my social on my app apparently. They accept it "as is" according to their rep on the phone. So if regenerated from my personal app, it would still be incorrect.

But it is correct on AMCAS and it appears thats how medical schools would generate a background check. All is fine and well again.. Thanks!
Wait, why is it in AMCAS at all? This is what I saw when filling out the ID numbers section:
AMCAS Instructions p17 said:
Do not enter your Social Security Number (SSN) or Social Insurance Number (SIN) in the field provided.

Reactions: 1 user
Wait, why is it in AMCAS at all? This is what I saw when filling out the ID numbers section:

I thought I saw the same thing. SSN should not be in AMCAS and I do not remember filling it out, nor do I remember seeing one during my many reviews of my app.

Same here. Don't remember ever putting it in.

Yes, sorry for the confusion, I mean the SSN that is connected to my MCAT and AAMC ID. No directly on my AMCAS application.

Well, if you have never had a misdemeanor, felony or anything else, there should be no need to run a background check on yourself right?

I've had some parking tickets, about it.

I won't take the bait :nono:

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, sorry for the confusion, I mean the SSN that is connected to my MCAT and AAMC ID. No directly on my AMCAS application.

I think I entered it the first time I logged into my AMCAS application back in early May. I didn't know it was a one-time entry and it turns out I had misremembered my SSN. So I had to call AAMC and they said they changed it.