Incorrect written date all the time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ancienbon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been floating at a store where all techs dont check the date a script is written when typing. They automatically type it for the default s date. It does not matter how many times i tell them. Say a script was written 3 months ago, they would just put the written date as today.
i dont think i want to work there anymore

Members don't see this ad.

This is the way it is at some cvs stores that I float to. If there are no refills on it then I let it slide all the time.

Members don't see this ad :)
At Walmart I just click on it to highlight it orange, then send it back to input regardless of what it is.

At Walmart the rejection process is easier because you can reject it before it goes to production but at cvs the verify step only happens at the very end.

At Walmart the rejection process is easier because you can reject it before it goes to production but at cvs the verify step only happens at the very end.

So if it's the wrong drug it goes all the way to the end with a label and vial with the wrong drug in it!...?

Wow that's scary. Why don't they have the pharmacist verify the rx before it gets filled... The cvs way makes it seem like the time to get the drug ready would double if any mistake is found because it has to start over.

Wow that's scary. Why don't they have the pharmacist verify the rx before it gets filled... The cvs way makes it seem like the time to get the drug ready would double if any mistake is found because it has to start over.
But I guess time is saved if the majority are found to be OK. I noticed the same process when I did an APPE at Rite Aid.

It's the worst when it's an out of stock and we order it and check in the next day and turns out it was typed wrong and was for something we had in stock the whole time...

Reactions: 1 users
It's the worst when it's an out of stock and we order it and check in the next day and turns out it was typed wrong and was for something we had in stock the whole time...
No. It's the worst when you're out of the correct thing, too.

Reactions: 1 user
Who cares? As long as its not a controlled substance, believe me dude, its not that big of a deal. You're creating extra work for yourself. Our employees are overburdened with work as it is, especially in high volume stores.

You can obviously inform the team to start putting in the written dates going forward, but if they dont do it once, just tell them about it and veirfy it out. Are you really going to reject a script for amlodipine 5 mg because it was written on 7/2/15 and the tech put 7/15/15...???

Members don't see this ad :)
Who cares? As long as its not a controlled substance, believe me dude, its not that big of a deal. You're creating extra work for yourself. Our employees are overburdened with work as it is, especially in high volume stores.

You can obviously inform the team to start putting in the written dates going forward, but if they dont do it once, just tell them about it and veirfy it out. Are you really going to reject a script for amlodipine 5 mg because it was written on 7/2/15 and the tech put 7/15/15...???

I've only been in retail about a year and am still learning, but shouldn't we make sure to have correct script dates? It changes the expiration dates (not by much, but still...). Also, could Medicare/Medicaid flag that in an audit? In any case, techs should probably be in the habit for when they receive controlled scripts.

yeah, they should have a habit of inputting the correct date, you let a few slide and then they think they can let everything slide... busy store is not an excuse, i worked at stores ranging from 700 scripts a week to 5000 a week, and there is no correlation between how busy a store is and bad habits

I got to say you are wrong bro. I am telling you the techs dont change date at all. Period. There was a c2 with no date and they typed it as it was written 07/14.
i am not talking about isolated instance here.
And of course i cant be sending everything back as i would be behind.
Believe me i never create extra work for myself. All the techs like me there because i do my job .
Even for narcotics and controlled ,they dont input the correct date. What if a script is expired and they fill it?

I've only been in retail about a year and am still learning, but shouldn't we make sure to have correct script dates? It changes the expiration dates (not by much, but still...). Also, could Medicare/Medicaid flag that in an audit? In any case, techs should probably be in the habit for when they receive controlled scripts.
Yes if an insurance audits the store ,they would lose money. The pic at my store told me the once lost money because the fill an expired script. It was a refill but the original date was put in wrong

The CVS staffing model cannot support 4-point check like Walmart has. Also auto-populating the date written in RxConnect is stupid. Still, this is the system CVS employees have to work with. I had and still have to beat this ignoring-date mentality out of everyone especially with the weakest techs, calling them out personally etc.

My mindset is if the techs keep ****ing up, they can keep fixing it. Get it right the first time and it doesn't have to be extra work.

Just reject them all back to drop off... they will learn.

I doubt they are ignoring you... it's probably just a habit that the other pharmacist lets go.

It's a big deal when you get audited on an Enbrel script that was filled after it expired because the written date wasn't put in correctly. If you let it slide on the little scripts, it's going to get missed on the high dollar ones too.

Yeah I reject any (and I mean any!) error all day long...the techs get the idea in a real hurry, and they realize that its easier to run it correctly in the first place!

Our biggest problem is correct doctor gets entered but at the wrong location. Then when we send a refill request it goes to the wrong office (which this alone is a HIPPA violation) and then the patient never gets the refills called in and potentially shows up expecting their script filled. What's even worse is dealing with this when you have to make doctor calls. First off you look like an idiot when you call the wrong office... then you have to pull up the hard copy for the phone number and try again at a different office and half the time they are not available or the patient transferred their care to a new doctor anyways.

To top it all off... this isn't a problem that you can fix overnight seeing as scripts entered 3 months ago may not result in a fax to the doctor for another 9 months (unless you reject/fix them when you are refilling them - I don't know if this is feasible).

Last edited:
Our biggest problem is correct doctor gets entered but at the wrong location. Then when we send a refill request it goes to the wrong office (which this alone is a HIPPA violation) and then the patient never gets the refills called in and potentially shows up expecting their script filled. What's even worse is dealing with this when you have to make doctor calls. First off you look like an idiot when you call the wrong office... then you have to pull up the hard copy for the phone number and try again at a different office and half the time they are not available or the patient transferred their care to a new doctor anyways.

To top it all off... this isn't a problem that you can fix overnight seeing as scripts entered 3 months ago may not result in a fax to the doctor for another 9 months (unless you reject/fix them when you are refilling them - I don't know if this is feasible).
If I'm verifying a maintenance med and see the prescriber is wrong (or wrong location) and the RX is about to run out of refills, I just request the refill the second its checked so I can correct the MD/office.

As a technician, we are required to input correct dates and when not successfully completed, we are given the prescription to do over. (Independent pharmacy)

Try to tell the responsible tech of their mistake in ear shot of the other techs so the public humiliation will help them remember.