Incredibly thankful for this community.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rei02sDinnerParty

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to post a few words of gratitude. I am still reeling from this journey and I'm not sure how it's come to a close so abruptly.

I don't know where I'll ever get to tell this story outside of my few close friends, family and gf. It feels more like a confession than a story...

I flew out somewhere for a prep course last summer with a somewhat obscure company. It was on the tails of a breakup and a terrible undergraduate performance that I was hellbent on redeeming. Unsurprisingly, the combination of not having friends, being in a new place, and struggling with material that eluded me during undergrad... was not good.

I began sleeping at 5 in the morning and waking up at 2 in the afternoon. I had to leave the course early, and felt such an incredible amount of shame in doing so.

I readjusted to life at home, took on a full time job and tried to study while balancing this new responsibility. One year later, I changed to part time and signed up for yet another prep course and was able to finally struggle enough with the material to begin to understand. I feel a unique type of shame in admitting to taking two prep courses over a year and a half to prep for one exam. It sticks with me.

I took my aamc scored practice and was overjoyed when I got a 515. But on the night of my exam, I was not able to sleep at all. Zero. It was the most disturbing thing. My dad drove me to the test center early and had me steep my car seat back and tried to drive around and get me to fall asleep. I felt nauseous and wanted to vomit, mostly because I was thinking about how I was about to disappoint everyone close to me, yet again, by either postponing or worse - taking it and doing poorly.

Everything was a haze but I did it. I remember there were fruitflies in my locker (ew). I remember messing up writing my time table during the 10 minutes before exam began. I remember having an epiphany during my b/b section that I might have skipped almost all of the c/p discretes from the prior section. Now this almost broke me for the rest of the test but I trooped on. Not scoring was not an option.

I scored it. I ranted to everyone I knew afterwards and cried but I scored it. The next time I cried was a few days ago when I received my score: 513. A perfectly balanced (128/128/128/129) 513.

I am just overwhelmed. As someone with a low gpa, I've been teetering about on this path without any credentials to make me feel like I've really earned anything. I'm proud to say I've done it. It took incredible money, tears and sweat but it's done and I'm going to become a doctor no matter what.

I don't really post on this board but i lurked every day and every night. I know someone out here appreciates these sentiments. If you took the August exam or any other exam and didn't do as well as you wanted, you will. PM me or post here and let's talk; I want to tell you that you're going to do it, just like I was told I was going to do it.

Sorry for the essay but much love to you all :s

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
Congratulations and condolences. Your journey truly begins now. As will the suffering.

This high MCAT score will be both a blessing and a burden. A blessing because now you have a chance. A burden because that chance will test everything you have in the coming years.

So much pain because of that high score of mine. I had to become a doctor. I am smart enough to become a doctor. I deserve to be a doctor. Thoughts that kept me going all those years. Thoughts I had because of that high score even as everything else in my life was crumbling down.

Congratulations because you deserve it. Condolences because I know what lies ahead for you. For I have lived it. And yet...

Reactions: 1 user
Congratulations and condolences. Your journey truly begins now. As will the suffering.

This high MCAT score will be both a blessing and a burden. A blessing because now you have a chance. A burden because that chance will test everything you have in the coming years.

So much pain because of that high score of mine. I had to become a doctor. I am smart enough to become a doctor. I deserve to be a doctor. Thoughts that kept me going all those years. Thoughts I had because of that high score even as everything else in my life was crumbling down.

Congratulations because you deserve it. Condolences because I know what lies ahead for you. For I have lived it. And yet...

Oh gosh... Thank you but I hope I can mitigate the "suffering" going forward. These past few years have felt like a second puberty in terms of maturation and growing. I hope I can embrace the challenges that medical school will present.

Reactions: 1 user
Just wanted to post a few words of gratitude. I am still reeling from this journey and I'm not sure how it's come to a close so abruptly.

I don't know where I'll ever get to tell this story outside of my few close friends, family and gf. It feels more like a confession than a story...

I flew out somewhere for a prep course last summer with a somewhat obscure company. It was on the tails of a breakup and a terrible undergraduate performance that I was hellbent on redeeming. Unsurprisingly, the combination of not having friends, being in a new place, and struggling with material that eluded me during undergrad... was not good.

I began sleeping at 5 in the morning and waking up at 2 in the afternoon. I had to leave the course early, and felt such an incredible amount of shame in doing so.

I readjusted to life at home, took on a full time job and tried to study while balancing this new responsibility. One year later, I changed to part time and signed up for yet another prep course and was able to finally struggle enough with the material to begin to understand. I feel a unique type of shame in admitting to taking two prep courses over a year and a half to prep for one exam. It sticks with me.

I took my aamc scored practice and was overjoyed when I got a 515. But on the night of my exam, I was not able to sleep at all. Zero. It was the most disturbing thing. My dad drove me to the test center early and had me steep my car seat back and tried to drive around and get me to fall asleep. I felt nauseous and wanted to vomit, mostly because I was thinking about how I was about to disappoint everyone close to me, yet again, by either postponing or worse - taking it and doing poorly.

Everything was a haze but I did it. I remember there were fruitflies in my locker (ew). I remember messing up writing my time table during the 10 minutes before exam began. I remember having an epiphany during my b/b section that I might have skipped almost all of the c/p discretes from the prior section. Now this almost broke me for the rest of the test but I trooped on. Not scoring was not an option.

I scored it. I ranted to everyone I knew afterwards and cried but I scored it. The next time I cried was a few days ago when I received my score: 513. A perfectly balanced (128/128/128/129) 513.

I am just overwhelmed. As someone with a low gpa, I've been teetering about on this path without any credentials to make me feel like I've really earned anything. I'm proud to say I've done it. It took incredible money, tears and sweat but it's done and I'm going to become a doctor no matter what.

I don't really post on this board but i lurked every day and every night. I know someone out here appreciates these sentiments. If you took the August exam or any other exam and didn't do as well as you wanted, you will. PM me or post here and let's talk; I want to tell you that you're going to do it, just like I was told I was going to do it.

Sorry for the essay but much love to you all :s

We got a same score, but a different breakdown! Congrats and i hope you make it to med school. There are always ways to get through it (postbacc, DO schools, SMPs, etc). I think if you dont give up, youll make a doc one day. Good luck~