Independent Community Pharmacy Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cleanshirt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just looking to see if there was any more recent feedback on community pharmacy residencies. I believe that the number of those residencies has increased in the past few years, and hopefully the scope of their objectives as well. Has anyone out there done one and would be willing to share if they found it beneficial in terms of skills learned and/or career opportunity?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Absolute waste of ****ing time.

Just wondering if you are speaking from personal experience or from what you have seen from some of your peers, perhaps? I can speculate as to why a residency could not represent a valuable use of time, but I'd like to hear from those with more direct experience than myself. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Neither. The only residency worth doing is a hospital residency.

What is the point of a community residency? To keep you out of the job market for another year while paying you half the salary for double the work while teaching you stuff you should have already learned in pharmacy school.

Reactions: 1 user
seriously...what a scam

Reactions: 2 users
Community pharmacy residencies are scams. What are you going to gain from it that you wouldn't get from working?

Reactions: 1 user
I think a communtiy pharmacy residency is the easiest way to get into academia. Otherwise agreed, not worth the time.

I have seen a couple am-care type community residencies (e.g. Johns Hopkins) and those might not be a waste of time

Last edited:
I find that most people who do a community residency don't end up practicing as a community pharmacist, ironically.

It's one of the easier ways to get into academia or amb care settings though.

That's dumbest thing I have ever heard of.

Well, with an independent community pharmacy residency, I would expect the idea is to teach someone how to run their own business (pharmacy schools generally teach any business sense at a very minimal level.) I can see the value in a well set-up independent community pharmacy residency, if ones goal is to run their own pharmacy (sure they aren't going to teach you anything that you could learn on your own by studying & working, but I tend to think the same of hospital residencies.)