Independent Study Sources?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shaymew

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I looked for a thread about this topic but couldn't find one so I hope I am not making a duplicate!
I am entering the Pre-Vet game rather late, as I just found out about the niche interest I want to pursue recently, so I feel I am "behind the game" a bit as it were on a lot of "vet stuff"

What I am curious about is, what are good open-source or easy to access materials for self-teaching some basic vet things, like basic dog anatomy for example, or principals of animal nutrition, or wildlife disease pathology (my main interest right here). As far as I can tell, my go-to Khan Academy doesn't have much with a direct animal focus, though some immunology or histology videos may be on there for humans that could have applicable principals im sure.

I cannot afford to stretch and take any of these classes through my university due to scheduling and all, so I am taking it onto myself to try and prep myself and teach myself some basics so I am not lost upon entering Vet School.
I am certain that there are other people in similar boats who could benefit from this, and regardless anyone can benefit from nice learning tools.
Once again sorry if this is accidentally a repeat thread!

Members don't see this ad.

You don't need any of that prior to going to vet school. Go and get actual experience with veterinarians and do well on your basic science prerequisites.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

The best way to prep for vet school is to take the pre-reqs and get some vet experience. Trying to learn anatomy beforehand on your own will not prepare you for the insanity that is anatomy in vet school.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, I looked for a thread about this topic but couldn't find one so I hope I am not making a duplicate!
I am entering the Pre-Vet game rather late, as I just found out about the niche interest I want to pursue recently, so I feel I am "behind the game" a bit as it were on a lot of "vet stuff"

What I am curious about is, what are good open-source or easy to access materials for self-teaching some basic vet things, like basic dog anatomy for example, or principals of animal nutrition, or wildlife disease pathology (my main interest right here). As far as I can tell, my go-to Khan Academy doesn't have much with a direct animal focus, though some immunology or histology videos may be on there for humans that could have applicable principals im sure.

I cannot afford to stretch and take any of these classes through my university due to scheduling and all, so I am taking it onto myself to try and prep myself and teach myself some basics so I am not lost upon entering Vet School.
I am certain that there are other people in similar boats who could benefit from this, and regardless anyone can benefit from nice learning tools.
Once again sorry if this is accidentally a repeat thread!
Coursera offers a pretty wide variety of free online courses, some veterinary specific.

None will give you a solid foundation for veterinary school, that's what your pre-reqs are for.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with the other comments. I just want to add that you should make sure your veterinary experience hours are "quality" hours. You rather have hours where you are actively learning instead of just sitting in the corner of the room.