Indiana Coroner System

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jace's mom

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have information about the Indiana coroner system? What role (if any) do forensic pathologists play in the process, and where do these forensic pathologists come from? In Indianapolis, are there FPs at the university? What about elsewhere in the state - contract groups?

Members don't see this ad.

Indiana Coroners position are an elected position, yes there are even 18 year old serving as Coroners. You don't need any medical background to serve in these positions. The Marion County Coroner is probably the most qualified of all other counties in the state, and is usually filled by MDs. Medical examiners usually are FPs, some of which have affiliations with Indiana University and their FP fellowship is done in the ME office downtown. Some of the other counties contract their autopsies either to Marion county or other counties. That's about all the info I know.

Does anyone have information about the Indiana coroner system? What role (if any) do forensic pathologists play in the process, and where do these forensic pathologists come from? In Indianapolis, are there FPs at the university? What about elsewhere in the state - contract groups?

I don't know the details, but I did spend a few years in Ohio. I was of the belief that IN was one of the states where coroners had to be physicians. A few years ago the Indianapolis coroner was a surgeon I think, who was the administrative head of the office, and hired FPs to do the autopsy work. Their office was university affiliated, but physically in a different location (near Lucas Oil Field if I remember right). Along with Indy, there are other FPs scattered around the state, including a very well respected man in South Bend who is a past NAME president.

As to the "where do the FPs come from" part, I'm not sure what you're getting at. Indy has a fellowship program, but us FPs often move all around North America for our jobs. We know (or should know) that's part of the deal.

Why are you asking this stuff and what in particular do you want to know?

Members don't see this ad :)
As to the "where do the FPs come from" part, I'm not sure what you're getting at. Indy has a fellowship program, but us FPs often move all around North America for our jobs. We know (or should know) that's part of the deal.

Why are you asking this stuff and what in particular do you want to know?

I didn't word it very well; I apologize. What I was trying to ask was, if I wanted to work in Indiana as a medical examiner, where would I work? Would I be affiliated with Indiana University or some type of pathology group, would I be an independent FP with my own office and solicit coroners for work, etc? Some combination of all of the above? I tried googling but didn't find a lot of information about who the FPs actually are in Indiana and if they are associated with any particular university or organization.

I will be doing my forensic fellowship this coming year and am thinking about employment after that. I do realize that moving is a strong possibility and don't mind in the slightest because I'm very flexible with regard to location. I have been asked by a family member to at least consider Indiana for family reasons, so I'm trying to decide how stable the work situation is in that state and what the logistics would be with regard to building a case load. I currently live in an ME state, so it's very different as far as I can tell. In any case, Indiana is just one of multiple possibilities.

Thanks very much for your help!

I didn't word it very well; I apologize. What I was trying to ask was, if I wanted to work in Indiana as a medical examiner, where would I work? Would I be affiliated with Indiana University or some type of pathology group, would I be an independent FP with my own office and solicit coroners for work, etc? Some combination of all of the above? I tried googling but didn't find a lot of information about who the FPs actually are in Indiana and if they are associated with any particular university or organization.

I will be doing my forensic fellowship this coming year and am thinking about employment after that. I do realize that moving is a strong possibility and don't mind in the slightest because I'm very flexible with regard to location. I have been asked by a family member to at least consider Indiana for family reasons, so I'm trying to decide how stable the work situation is in that state and what the logistics would be with regard to building a case load. I currently live in an ME state, so it's very different as far as I can tell. In any case, Indiana is just one of multiple possibilities.

Thanks very much for your help!
I agree with Webb. Any of your scenarios are possible, but carving one's own niche as an FP in a coroner state is a tough business. You basically would be at the beck and call of those coroners for your livelihood. Your best bet is to try to get info from people in Indiana. I'd suggest going to the office in Indy if you're close enough and talking to the chief FP there, who is a very pleasant woman. Tell her your situation and see what her thoughts are for employment in the state.

I agree with Webb. Any of your scenarios are possible, but carving one's own niche as an FP in a coroner state is a tough business. You basically would be at the beck and call of those coroners for your livelihood. Your best bet is to try to get info from people in Indiana. I'd suggest going to the office in Indy if you're close enough and talking to the chief FP there, who is a very pleasant woman. Tell her your situation and see what her thoughts are for employment in the state.
Thanks for the suggestion. I don't live near Indiana, but I'll see what I can do.

Thanks to all of you for your information and advice; you pretty much confirmed what I thought. As I said, I'm not committed to or even necessarily in favor of the Indiana option, but I promised my family I would at least think about it.

Ditto mlw. Death investigation systems vary considerably around the country, and sometimes within a state. There are states with mixed ME & coroner systems, coroner counties that send cases to ME offices, coroner or ME offices affiliated with or run by University systems, coroner offices that work more like stereotypical ME offices and vice versa, etc. I would suggest finding an office or two in Indiana and contacting them; most in the FP business know the different systems can be confusing.