Indiana Dental School really that bad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maximilian

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying to dental school this cycle, and until I heard all the complaints about IUSD, I planned on going there. I'm an Indiana resident, but I go to undergrad in Alabama and can establish residency there in time for the 2009 cycle, if I decide I would rather go to UAB (after taking a year off).

So, is Indiana torture all four years or is it just the first year that some people have problems with?

Any positive feedback on IUSD is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
There are no "bad" dental schools.

:corny:

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I have talked to dentists both in Indiana and Alabama who have a lot of respect for the school and its program, but on SDN I have yet to hear anything positive about the PBL curriculum, instructors, and/or facilities.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have been a teachers assistant or anything related to evaluating- it's clear cut common sense. I'm a TA for chemistry labs. In a lab I had 21/22 extremely good comments. Since someone can rarely please 22 students, or whatever the given number is, there will be some negatives. Those negatives tend to voice their opinion strongly and these have ventured on SDN. I saw a page on Case, too.

In short, just like anything else, it's what you make of it.

I'm not sure, I think I heard from my dentist that Indiana is the founder of CREST toothpaste...(someone correct me if I'm wrong!!! probably an alumni) would you consider it now a bad school? IMO There's no bad school.. as mentioned above...each school has great intentions of producing great dentists that's why they're all accredited.

DDS=DMD --> :)

Right?

I'm joking. Indiana is an awesome school.

Last edited:
I can't help but wonder if any of the Indiana haters on this board were involved in the cheating scandal last year. There were many D2s that had been using (or were aware of others using) stolen passwords and had their laptops taken away mid-exam. They're having to remediate varying degrees of coursework--I believe up to two years in some cases. Lesson being? Take everything you read with a grain of salt, and be ethical at all times.

someone posted a comment about indiana dental on www.predents.com. check under indiana and you will see his extended contribution at the bottom of the screen. i am in no way affiliated with or against indiana univ, just sharing the opinions of others.

I'm applying to dental school this cycle, and until I heard all the complaints about IUSD, I planned on going there. I'm an Indiana resident, but I go to undergrad in Alabama and can establish residency there in time for the 2009 cycle, if I decide I would rather go to UAB (after taking a year off).

So, is Indiana torture all four years or is it just the first year that some people have problems with?

IUSD == North Korean Gulag.

Three words for you prospective Indiana dental school students.

DON"T come here!!!!

Wan't me to elaborate, just send me a PM. I even have other classmates and students in other years who are not satisfied with the way this school is operated.

Last edited:
Indiana University has much to offer for incoming students. The student body is very strong and plays a large role in the way the school operates. As a recent graduate, I can assure your education upon graduation will exceed that of other dental schools. While there are many pros and cons to all dental programs, IUSD offers more pros. There Pathology department is one of the best in the US and there staff are friendly and easy to talk to. If you are looking at becoming a top notch dentist than IUSD is the program for you.

Indiana University has much to offer for incoming students. The student body is very strong and plays a large role in the way the school operates. As a recent graduate, I can assure your education upon graduation will exceed that of other dental schools. While there are many pros and cons to all dental programs, IUSD offers more pros. There Pathology department is one of the best in the US and there staff are friendly and easy to talk to. If you are looking at becoming a top notch dentist than IUSD is the program for you.

While there are several complaints from several students on these forums, my experience at IU was nothing to complain about. I am sure some of these students were not involved in the program or did not keep up with there studies. You will not regret attending IU.

Members don't see this ad :)
dental school is going to everything you make it. IUSD preps its student to be great dentist. the first two years suck but things do get better. value of PBL is hard to understand as the first two years you have no human patients. what most students dont understand is that attached to the oral cavity is a human which has real problems and medical conditions so the goal of PBL to prepare to understand the human concept and problems associated with it. PBL happens everyday in clinics but we dont think of it as PBL, we instead think of it as patients.
IUSD is a good school; may not be right for all but you have to make that decision on your own. IUSD belives in second chances unlike other school where they kick you out first time you fail a class. IUSD has a group of student where if there is a problem with a faculty that is not being fair, the student can report issues to. It is a great learning environment and I am proud to be a IUSD student. if u wanna know more IM me at tooth_fairy_82 on yahoo msng.

sounds like a SHILL! :laugh:

When Attending IUSD, I thought PBL was overwhelming and repetitive. Now that I am graduated, I feel I am applying a lot of what I learned in PBL to my practice. The main thing I learned from PBL is when a situation or condition occurs, you must research all the material that is presented to you (medications, symptoms, etc). The more you know about the patient the better clinician you will be. Two years of PBL might be a little overwhelming but the amount you learn is worth while in the long run.

Hi Max

I've been perusing this site since I was a pre-dent. I'm in my 4th yr at IUSD. I just want to say that no school is perfect. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. I wouldn't say dental school at IU is torture, but it certainly is no walk in the park. Yes, it is challenging and will push you to your limits but you can't forget that you are in a graduate program earning a doctorate degree. It will be the most stressful and rewarding time in your life. PBL is not the most fun way to learn at times, but it only accounts for 20-30% of all the material you learn. It's not as big of a deal as some make it out to be. Sure it can be tedious at times, but it's not difficult to say the least. If you do the work, you will be fine. One positive thing I can say about PBL is that I grew close to the people in my PBL group. It's a good way to bond with your classmates in the first year when you don't know anyone.

I've been very satisfied with my education at IUSD. I'm an out-of-state student and I chose to come here. What attracted me to the school was the friendly staff and students and also IU's reputation as a strong clinical school. Sure the facilities are not state of the art, but that has in no way hindered me from excelling in the clinics. I feel competent and am in no way nervous about working in the real world starting next summer.

I have not had the negative experience that Grumpy loves telling the world about on these boards. I'm a Hispanic female and have not been disrespected by my peers or faculty. I'm not sure why Grumpy has experienced negativity. Yes I'm a minority student but I don't feel like I stick out like a sore thumb as far as racial issues are concerned. IUSD is a state school. If you look at IN demographics, you will see that this state has predominately white citizens, followed by black citizens, and so on. The school's racial profile mirrors this trend. I don't see this as a negative issue. This school admits 70 in state students and 30 out-of-state students, so I don't see why it's a surprise that a large percentage of the student body make up is Caucasians. It's unfortunate that Grumpy's opinion is the only face of the coin that most people get to see on these boards. That's why I felt the need to write this post.

If you have any specific questions about the school, I'll be more than happy to answer questions for you. :)

Can anyone check IU grad's IP address? I think this is an IU faculty member. Either way, IU isn't on my list and will likely not be added unless they offer a 3-year program and full paid scholarship!

Something I love hearing. Indiana is one of my top choices.

PBL is an aspect that I find that will benefit me. I have attended some seminars at the medical school at my campus to understand "PBL" and found it an opportunity that I would love.

Keep things positive for Indiana!

I am a fourth year dental student at IUSD and I am a Middle Eastern woman ...I feel I have a right to clarify a few things about IUSD.

Racism in IUSD: I feel there are many great professors and faculty members who are being misrepresented by the comments made on this thread. In my three years of dental school, I have never been turned away from any teacher when I needed help. I was never an A student, I struggled my first two years, but I rest assured knowing that whenever I asked for help, there was always someone there willing to teach me and help me. NO MATTER WHAT THE RACE OF THE TEACHER. From my experience, I have dealt with some tough professors and there has never been a situation where I felt I was being womanized or put down because of my race or religion. I have many other friends (from all over the world) at IUSD who would agree with me. I don’t know the details of CortisolStress’s situation or what teacher he is talking about. I respect CortisolStress’s right to state his opinion. I just feel it is unfair to generalize the school’s faculty as being bad, racists, sexists or whatever…especially when our faculty is pretty diverse.

The only thing I can say is, DENTAL SCHOOL IS TOUGH!!!!!!!!!!! :scared:There are so many loops you have to jump through, I really don’t know a single person who came out of any dental school and said, “Wow, that was a breeze!” What it really comes down to is producing competent, dedicated dentists who will not give up. Also, Indianapolis is not so bad…I am from Los Angeles. It was a little difficult but Indy is what you make of it. PBL is not so bad. I entered the school really excited about the program. I liked some parts and hated others. But trust me it will get better and you will all get through it!!!!

If anyone (current or future students) has any questions, please PM me. I will do my best to answer any questions.
Good luck!:thumbup:

I am a fourth year dental student at IUSD and I am a Middle Eastern woman ...I feel I have a right to clarify a few things about IUSD.

Racism in IUSD: I feel there are many great professors and faculty members who are being misrepresented by the comments made on this thread. In my three years of dental school, I have never been turned away from any teacher when I needed help. I was never an A student, I struggled my first two years, but I rest assured knowing that whenever I asked for help, there was always someone there willing to teach me and help me. NO MATTER WHAT THE RACE OF THE TEACHER. From my experience, I have dealt with some tough professors and there has never been a situation where I felt I was being womanized or put down because of my race or religion. I have many other friends (from all over the world) at IUSD who would agree with me. I don’t know the details of CortisolStress’s situation or what teacher he is talking about. I respect CortisolStress’s right to state his opinion. I just feel it is unfair to generalize the school’s faculty as being bad, racists, sexists or whatever…especially when our faculty is pretty diverse.

The only thing I can say is, DENTAL SCHOOL IS TOUGH!!!!!!!!!!! :scared:There are so many loops you have to jump through, I really don’t know a single person who came out of any dental school and said, “Wow, that was a breeze!” What it really comes down to is producing competent, dedicated dentists who will not give up. Also, Indianapolis is not so bad…I am from Los Angeles. It was a little difficult but Indy is what you make of it. PBL is not so bad. I entered the school really excited about the program. I liked some parts and hated others. But trust me it will get better and you will all get through it!!!!

If anyone (current or future students) has any questions, please PM me. I will do my best to answer any questions.
Good luck!:thumbup:

thanks for the awesome clarification.

Every school has its pros and cons. What I have found is that each persons attitude determines the kind of experience you have. If your goal is to finish dental school and finish on time and you focus on that you will do that. If you decide that the system makes it so hard and sit and whine and complain about the system, you will waste valuable time that could be spent doing school work and then regret it later on. No matter what school you go to there will always be obstacle, some ppl chose to overcome them, others choose to give up. Depending on which group you fall into, that will determine what experience you have. For the most part, you make dental school as good or as bad as you want for yourself, it's all about your attitude.

Indiana University Dental school is a very prestigious dental institution in the State.

Anyway, can I also ask...

How is it like living in Indiana? (Indianapolis)
- Entertainment (movie, auto tuning, clubs, restaurants)
- Expense (housing, hotel)
- Rural/Urban
- Diversity

And, please let me know any unique features of IUPUI School of Dentistry? (ANYTHING!! NON-PROFESSIONAL FINE!)

OH~~ I want to ask about restaurants..

Are there many Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Italian, and Thai restaurants?

Indiana University Dental school is a very prestigious dental institution in the State.

Anyway, can I also ask...

How is it like living in Indiana? (Indianapolis)
- Entertainment (movie, auto tuning, clubs, restaurants)
- Expense (housing, hotel)
- Rural/Urban
- Diversity

And, please let me know any unique features of IUPUI School of Dentistry? (ANYTHING!! NON-PROFESSIONAL FINE!)

OH~~ I want to ask about restaurants..

Are there many Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Italian, and Thai restaurants?

Let me know more about Indianapolis.........just anything!!!
:sleep:

Wow! Three posts in a row! You seem to be a faculty member posting this information. :laugh:

I graduated in 2007 and I totally disagreed with some of these negative commons. I encourage you not to listen to one or two opinions and base your decision of what you heard, there are more positives than negatives at IU. I am from Hong Kong, lived in Los Angeles since I was 12 year old, and I can tell you based on my experience, I am very confident of my clinical skills right after school. Yes, I was very nervous on my first day of work, but based on the training I got from IU, I knew what I was doing. There are no bad dental school, in fact, they are about the same. Life as a dental student isn’t easy, balancing between family and study. For those of you applying for dental school who have families, family support is important. In my case, my wife took care of the children, not letting me worried about the kids while I was in school. You will be very busy in school but if you have good study habit, self-discipline, you will make it at any dental school.
As a clinician, several things you always have to keep in mind - you are or going to be a dentist, you are treating the well-being of a human being, and “do no harm” It wouldn’t be easy if I it wasn’t from IU. Life after dental school is real, the rewards are wonderful.
Please contact me if you have any questions.

I interviewed at indiana last year and wasnt too impressed with the city or the school. I think its a ok school that will grow on you over time. The thing that really gets to me about IUSD is the out of state tuition they charge you all four years. Its almost next to impossible to gain residency and based on their clinic and facilities I have no idea why they charge so much.

When Attending IUSD, I thought PBL was overwhelming and repetitive. Now that I am graduated, I feel I am applying a lot of what I learned in PBL to my practice. The main thing I learned from PBL is when a situation or condition occurs, you must research all the material that is presented to you (medications, symptoms, etc). The more you know about the patient the better clinician you will be. Two years of PBL might be a little overwhelming but the amount you learn is worth while in the long run.

I think I can understand how that feels like!

Ok, let me know more about living in Indianapolis.

How is it like living in INDIANAPOLIS??

For reference, I can reach any places within 4hour distance by car. :laugh:

Looks very antique?

Btw, I will soon visit the campus, so let me allow to know more about this place. So, I can more focus on what I should look at.

Thanks~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Especially, Subbugati!!

I have an older brother attending IUSd right now. He said that if he were to go back in time, he would have chose another dental school. My brother is an out-of-state student at IUSD.

He has to pay non-resident tuition for all four years. He specified to me that other state-run dental schools he's applied to, like UConn and UMKC, allow their dental students to apply for resident status to get cheaper tuition. Unfortunately, the Indiana mentality, is that once you're an "outsider" you're always considered an outsider.

I have been to Indianapolis to visit my brother, and also for my recent interview, and boy is this place so backward in their mentality to do things. Indianapolis is a small midwest-type of city. A small downtown, but a HUGE sprawled out suburban area that makes up maybe 80% of Indy. There is no great public transportation system here. No light rails, no subways, no city-metro trains like DC, or the Bart in San Francisco.

My brother also dislikes the PBL curriculum because it's all about the most aggressive person or people in your group who gets the most attention from the PBL coordinator. If you're shy or tend to be more on the quieter side, then you will get plowed over. At least that's what my brother has told me when he was a first and second-year student.

The people, at least in his class, tend to be cold, quiet, keep-to-myself, type of people. People hardly study in groups, and the only notes they share is the verbatim notes that are printed up paid for by the student semester fees. I wouldn't want to study or be around these kind of people. I have toured and interviewed at several other dental schools (won't mention names of the schools), where the students seemed to be much happier there, than compared to the gloomy-looking faces of the IUSD students.

My brother also specified that IUSD is VERY stringent on ethics and anal on the school rules. This stringent tree-hugging mentality was probably adopted by IUSD after the cheating scandal that happened in 2007. If you see someone doing something wrong, the administration highly encourages students to "tattle-tell" on other classmates. It's not just cheating on exams. It's minor things that you can get written up for, such as being in the dental lab while the dental hygiene students are working there. or getting written up to student conduct committee if you don't pursue the right avenues to contest a test question(s). To me, this sounds ridiculous.

I have also interviewed at IUSD just recently, and the school is not as diverse as say NYU, Pacific or Loma Linda. I found it quite shocking that the white students in my interview group didn't even want to say hi to me or look at me. The tour guide of the dental school, who's a white guy, also didn't care to look at me during the tour. I thought that was rude. It's the mentality that typical midwestern, esp Indiana, caucasians tend to have over non-white people. At least that's what my older brother told me he observes while attending IUSD.

Lastly, I don't mind PBL. But I think this is a type of curriculum that works for certain people, and doesn't work for others. If you're not a motivated person, then PBL will be a big burden for you. My brother also told me about triple jump exams at this dental school (also at USC's dental program too) that tends to irk the students. It all depends on who you have for your examiner. If you have a dental school instructor who examines you, and he or she has a bad reputation of failing students, then you better be super impressive to pass the triple jump exam with that particular instructor.

The good side, according to my brother, is that the office of dental education at IUSD will re-consider their curriculum in 2010 or somewhere along that time. They will decide whether to stick with the PBL curriculum, or to get back to the pre-1997 traditional lecture based curriculum. Similar to USC, my brother said he heard rumors from his dental school colleagues that the board exam scores are slightly dropping due to the PBL curriculum. Don't know, that's just what I've heard.

The other HUGE plus of IUSD, if you plan on attending this dental school in the future, is that they are planning on building a brand new dental school. My brother said that the dean of the dental school has had an architect firm come to the dental school to see how things will be designed. That's according to a memorandum email sent by the dean to all the students, staff and faculties of the school. The project of building a new dental school won't start until maybe around 2011 or 2012.

Overall, I am leaning more towards other dental schools, since the new dental school won't be available until 2015 (lol). But if IUSD is the only dental school that fully admits me in the long run, I wouldn't mind being a student at IUSD. Plus my brother is a current student who can guide me through the difficult courses at IUSD.

Last edited:
I have an older brother attending IUSd right now. He said that if he were to go back in time, he would have chose another dental school. My brother is an out-of-state student at IUSD.

He has to pay non-resident tuition for all four years. He specified to me that other state-run dental schools he's applied to, like UConn and UMKC, allow their dental students to apply for resident status to get cheaper tuition. Unfortunately, the Indiana mentality, is that once you're an "outsider" you're always considered an outsider.

I have been to Indianapolis to visit my brother, and also for my recent interview, and boy is this place so backward in their mentality to do things. Indianapolis is a small midwest-type of city. A small downtown, but a HUGE sprawled out suburban area that makes up maybe 80% of Indy. There is no great public transportation system here. No light rails, no subways, no city-metro trains like DC, or the Bart in San Francisco.

My brother also dislikes the PBL curriculum because it's all about the most aggressive person or people in your group who gets the most attention from the PBL coordinator. If you're shy or tend to be more on the quieter side, then you will get plowed over. At least that's what my brother has told me when he was a first and second-year student.

The people, at least in his class, tend to be cold, quiet, keep-to-myself, type of people. People hardly study in groups, and the only notes they share is the verbatim notes that are printed up paid for by the student semester fees. I wouldn't want to study or be around these kind of people. I have toured and interviewed at several other dental schools (won't mention names of the schools), where the students seemed to be much happier there, than compared to the gloomy-looking faces of the IUSD students.

My brother also specified that IUSD is VERY stringent on ethics and anal on the school rules. This stringent tree-hugging mentality was probably adopted by IUSD after the cheating scandal that happened in 2007. If you see someone doing something wrong, the administration highly encourages students to "tattle-tell" on other classmates. It's not just cheating on exams. It's minor things that you can get written up for, such as being in the dental lab while the dental hygiene students are working there. or getting written up to student conduct committee if you don't pursue the right avenues to contest a test question(s). To me, this sounds ridiculous.

I have also interviewed at IUSD just recently, and the school is not as diverse as say NYU, Pacific or Loma Linda. I found it quite shocking that the white students in my interview group didn't even want to say hi to me or look at me. The tour guide of the dental school, who's a white guy, also didn't care to look at me during the tour. I thought that was rude. It's the mentality that typical midwestern, esp Indiana, caucasians tend to have over non-white people. At least that's what my older brother told me he observes while attending IUSD.

Lastly, I don't mind PBL. But I think this is a type of curriculum that works for certain people, and doesn't work for others. If you're not a motivated person, then PBL will be a big burden for you. My brother also told me about triple jump exams at this dental school (also at USC's dental program too) that tends to irk the students. It all depends on who you have for your examiner. If you have a dental school instructor who examines you, and he or she has a bad reputation of failing students, then you better be super impressive to pass the triple jump exam with that particular instructor.

The good side, according to my brother, is that the office of dental education at IUSD will re-consider their curriculum in 2010 or somewhere along that time. They will decide whether to stick with the PBL curriculum, or to get back to the pre-1997 traditional lecture based curriculum. Similar to USC, my brother said he heard rumors from his dental school colleagues that the board exam scores are slightly dropping due to the PBL curriculum. Don't know, that's just what I've heard.

The other HUGE plus of IUSD, if you plan on attending this dental school in the future, is that they are planning on building a brand new dental school. My brother said that the dean of the dental school has had an architect firm come to the dental school to see how things will be designed. That's according to a memorandum email sent by the dean to all the students, staff and faculties of the school. The project of building a new dental school won't start until maybe around 2011 or 2012.

Overall, I am leaning more towards other dental schools, since the new dental school won't be available until 2015 (lol). But if IUSD is the only dental school that fully admits me in the long run, I wouldn't mind being a student at IUSD. Plus my brother is a current student who can guide me through the difficult courses at IUSD.

This is probably the best post I have read so far on SDN. I wish everyone could be so detailed and "to the point" about their schools like you. Well done. This is all the shiet they don't tell you about in the pamphlets and website.

I really appreciate ur a long good post.

However, there must be also many good things about IUSD.

Based on the yahoo photographs, the campus looks great! It looks more or less classic style buildings, too!

Anyway, I am visiting there the day after tomorrow.

I am a bit excited to be there!

Thanks again! :laugh:

I interviewed at IUSD and although the building is old I thought it seemed like a good school. I currently attend a school that has PBL and IUSD was one of my choices because of the PBL. IUSD has uts problems but it is still a good school.

is a very big one!

IUPUI = Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis.

The campus looks classical!

It is one of the oldest dental school in US, too.

Yeah~ during my interview, I saw few Asians.

In fact, I saw only one Korean(she). Very few non-white's.

However, everyone tries to be nice to each other!

Just be yourself, and focus on your interview.

There were just many many interviewers on that day. (100+??)

They also said it's almost 50:50 chance for pre-december interviewers.

Above all, inside of the campus, I can't find any single problem.

As for the surrounding area, I found a couple of artistic buildings.

Chicago is just within 3hr distance from Indianapolis.

is a very big one!

Discrimination?

Why does it matter?

IUSD is a really nice school, really friendly staff and Indy seemed like a cool city.

The 50/50 chance is including the post december acceptances.

Discrimination?

Why does it matter?

IUSD is a really nice school, really friendly staff and Indy seemed like a cool city.

The 50/50 chance is including the post december acceptances.

Hm..yeah Indiana University is awesome~ That's my point!

A really big campus, too! :laugh:

Hi Max

I've been perusing this site since I was a pre-dent. I'm in my 4th yr at IUSD. I just want to say that no school is perfect. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. I wouldn't say dental school at IU is torture, but it certainly is no walk in the park. Yes, it is challenging and will push you to your limits but you can't forget that you are in a graduate program earning a doctorate degree. It will be the most stressful and rewarding time in your life. PBL is not the most fun way to learn at times, but it only accounts for 20-30% of all the material you learn. It's not as big of a deal as some make it out to be. Sure it can be tedious at times, but it's not difficult to say the least. If you do the work, you will be fine. One positive thing I can say about PBL is that I grew close to the people in my PBL group. It's a good way to bond with your classmates in the first year when you don't know anyone.

I've been very satisfied with my education at IUSD. I'm an out-of-state student and I chose to come here. What attracted me to the school was the friendly staff and students and also IU's reputation as a strong clinical school. Sure the facilities are not state of the art, but that has in no way hindered me from excelling in the clinics. I feel competent and am in no way nervous about working in the real world starting next summer.

I have not had the negative experience that Grumpy loves telling the world about on these boards. I'm a Hispanic female and have not been disrespected by my peers or faculty. I'm not sure why Grumpy has experienced negativity. Yes I'm a minority student but I don't feel like I stick out like a sore thumb as far as racial issues are concerned. IUSD is a state school. If you look at IN demographics, you will see that this state has predominately white citizens, followed by black citizens, and so on. The school's racial profile mirrors this trend. I don't see this as a negative issue. This school admits 70 in state students and 30 out-of-state students, so I don't see why it's a surprise that a large percentage of the student body make up is Caucasians. It's unfortunate that Grumpy's opinion is the only face of the coin that most people get to see on these boards. That's why I felt the need to write this post.

If you have any specific questions about the school, I'll be more than happy to answer questions for you. :)
Hi IWuvTeef,

I have an interview at IUD on the 13th of Nov, and I was wondering what to expect. I didn't have a stellar PAT, and I fear what the perception might be. Also, where would you suggest to be the best place to stay in terms of price and distance? Btw, I really appreciate your detailed response, maybe I'll see you in Indianapolis!!

Hi IWuvTeef,

I have an interview at IUD on the 13th of Nov, and I was wondering what to expect. I didn't have a stellar PAT, and I fear what the perception might be. Also, where would you suggest to be the best place to stay in terms of price and distance? Btw, I really appreciate your detailed response, maybe I'll see you in Indianapolis!!

I just wanted to comment on Indiana's interview... It is EXTREMELY relaxed, they honestly want to get to know you and to see how you'd fit in with their students. Adcom mentioned how we shouldn't worry and we have completed the hardest part, receiving an interview. Don't worry and enjoy the opportunity :)

Hey visbimmer.

Pardon me for the late response, but I've been very busy with projects.

Check your PM!

is a very big one!

you guys are nuts. I got my MS from IUPUI. I was arround MANY IUSD students. I have become friends with several of them.

IUSD is one of the best dental schools in the country. The only reason I decided not to attend IUSD was because of family ties to Chicago.

IUSD has a HISTORY of training some of the best clinicians in the world.

People say IUSD is close-minded. This couldn't be further from the truth. Indianapolis is a extremely diverse city. This diverse city also has a lot of poverty, this results in an abundance of patients for the students.

I grew up in California. Of course, as a whole, you will not find as many open minded people in Indiana, however at the university, you will find many forward thinkers.

I think all the minority students who say they are treated badly at IUSD, would find a problem at any dental school. For the most part they seem to have a chip on their shoulder and feel the need to complain.

I can't say much about the PBL. I have SEVERAL friends that currently attend IUSD and for the most they aren't happy with PBL. However, in the end PBL comes down to personal preference. If you think you'll hate it, dont go. If you like the idea, than attend.

PBL is what you make of it. If you want to do well in PBL, you may very well learn more than the best students in traditional curriculums. Of course, if you dont take advantage of PBL, then you may learn less than in a traditional curriculum. The great equalizers are Part 1 and licensing exams. You'll find IUSD students pass with the same percentages as any other school. So obviously PBL isn't leaving the students hanging.

How many of you really need a cerec machine to learn dentistry? Don't you think your time as student can be better spent learning hand skills than relying on technology to do it for you?

In my opinion, the one major flaw of IUSD is Indianapolis itself. The city is not very fun for someone in their 20s. However it is the most fun city in the state. I wish Indianapolis had more public transportation. However, there is an abundance of student housing across the street from campus. The walk to the dental school would never be more than 5-10 minutes.

Also, remember that the Colts and Pacers stadiums are literally half a mile from campus. Its really fun to be around during Colts games. So the city isn't that amazing, but Colt's games are a blast.

You guys may want to open your eyes next time you're there.

Stop comparing IUSD to NYU and UCSF. Obviously a school in the midwest will not be the same as in Manhatten or San Francisco. These comparisions are so obviously flawed they're ridiculous. If you are looking for a Manhatten experience, then go to NYU or UIC, do not attend a land locked state and expect New York city.

Be realistic in your expectations and comparrisons!

you guys are nuts. I got my MS from IUPUI. I was arround MANY IUSD students. I have become friends with several of them.

IUSD is one of the best dental schools in the country. The only reason I decided not to attend IUSD was because of family ties to Chicago.

IUSD has a HISTORY of training some of the best clinicians in the world.

People say IUSD is close-minded. This couldn't be further from the truth. Indianapolis is a extremely diverse city. This diverse city also has a lot of poverty, this results in an abundance of patients for the students.

I grew up in California. Of course, as a whole, you will not find as many open minded people in Indiana, however at the university, you will find many forward thinkers.

I think all the minority students who say they are treated badly at IUSD, would find a problem at any dental school. For the most part they seem to have a chip on their shoulder and feel the need to complain.

I can't say much about the PBL. I have SEVERAL friends that currently attend IUSD and for the most they aren't happy with PBL. However, in the end PBL comes down to personal preference. If you think you'll hate it, dont go. If you like the idea, than attend.

PBL is what you make of it. If you want to do well in PBL, you may very well learn more than the best students in traditional curriculums. Of course, if you dont take advantage of PBL, then you may learn less than in a traditional curriculum. The great equalizers are Part 1 and licensing exams. You'll find IUSD students pass with the same percentages as any other school. So obviously PBL isn't leaving the students hanging.

How many of you really need a cerec machine to learn dentistry? Don't you think your time as student can be better spent learning hand skills than relying on technology to do it for you?

In my opinion, the one major flaw of IUSD is Indianapolis itself. The city is not very fun for someone in their 20s. However it is the most fun city in the state. I wish Indianapolis had more public transportation. However, there is an abundance of student housing across the street from campus. The walk to the dental school would never be more than 5-10 minutes.

Also, remember that the Colts and Pacers stadiums are literally half a mile from campus. Its really fun to be around during Colts games. So the city isn't that amazing, but Colt's games are a blast.

You guys may want to open your eyes next time you're there.

Stop comparing IUSD to NYU and UCSF. Obviously a school in the midwest will not be the same as in Manhatten or San Francisco. These comparisions are so obviously flawed they're ridiculous. If you are looking for a Manhatten experience, then go to NYU or UIC, do not attend a land locked state and expect New York city.

Be realistic in your expectations and comparrisons!

Whoa man! What's up with the "chip on shoulder" comments on the minorities attending IUSD? At least I don't have that kind of attitude, and I am a minority student at IUSD. Sheesh. Glad you're freezing your ***** up in CHITcago. :laugh:

Whoa man! What's up with the "chip on shoulder" comments on the minorities attending IUSD? At least I don't have that kind of attitude, and I am a minority student at IUSD. Sheesh. Glad you're freezing your ***** up in CHITcago. :laugh:

are you complaining about treatment at IUSD????? If not, then I wasn't referring to you!!!!

I was simply stating that in my opinion, those minority students who say they are mistreated at IUSD, will probably say they are mistreated at ANY school they attend. I love run-on sentences.

I had two day interview at the place, and it left very strong impression to me.

The campus looks classic.

This school is also known for oral health and systemic health research.

This school also has strong clinical training program. People were nice, and this school is actually a state school.

Therefore, there are few international students like me at IUSD.

I think as long as you've decided to pursue dentistry in US, this factor is not a big issue. You are likely to enjoy new challenge and achievement. Above all, it's difficult to get in as an international student. :)

I still think the dental building at IUSD is a very huge~~one!
Old building and new building are combined as one dental building. Am I right? Aren't they together dental school?

Hi nebody knows d bench test fees cuz I ve heard its really high..