Indiana University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
congrats! that's so exciting! I'm still hoping & praying!!

Members don't see this ad.

Nothing yet. I know this will vary a bit depending on everyone's beginning position, but do most of you guys agree that the list moved about 11-12 spots? What has been everyone's experience?

Members don't see this ad :)
Nothing yet. I know this will vary a bit depending on everyone's beginning position, but do most of you guys agree that the list moved about 11-12 spots? What has been everyone's experience?

Yes I agree with you. When did you last call? I'm definitely thinking this is a slow moving year as compared to others, but I'm trying to keep my hope up. :)

Sent from my PC36100 using SDN Mobile

I agree as well. There was some good movement the past 2 weeks but I just called in today and I haven't moved at all this week :( we still have a lot of time so im keeping my hopes up but im getting so impatient!

I agree as well. There was some good movement the past 2 weeks but I just called in today and I haven't moved at all this week :( we still have a lot of time so im keeping my hopes up but im getting so impatient!
Yeah I wonder when deposits are due for the people who received acceptances within the past couple weeks. We have time: 11 weeks till they start but 7 until the new AADSAS application opens!

My deposit was due yesterday. So spots should potentially open up soon

I called the beginning of this week. I understand how you feel, all we can do is keep our hopes up and stay positive!

Darce101, if you don't mind me asking, how much was the deposit, and how many days do you have from the day you were offered the position?

Hey star,

It's 2 weeks from the acceptance date and it's $1000. Let me know if you have any other q's

Does anyone know the deadline for multiple deposits that Indiana specifically gave? I know it varies by school. Thanks!

Thanks Darce! Seems like we've been at a standstill lately, hope it starts to move again soon.

I'm sure a few of you will get accepted off of the waitlist. In the meantime, start collecting teeth!

P.S. No amalgam, gold restorations or full coverage crowns.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sure a few of you will get accepted off of the waitlist. In the meantime, start collecting teeth!

P.S. No amalgam, gold restorations or full coverage crowns.

Yeah, if you guys find any gold restorations just give them to me so I can dispose of them properly at "Cash for Gold". :xf:

Hey guys,

I got a call from Rhonda 2 days ago! I got accepted to Indiana University but I've already accepted an offer from a different school. Can you tell me why you picked Indiana over other schools? I understand if it was your only option but I am asking those of you who had multiple acceptances.
Thank you!

It all depends on what other schools you were accepted to and in state residency etc.

I wasn't trying to be rude. It's just difficult question to answer without something to compare to. :) Most of the people that are accepted, choose IUSD for in state residency. Other OOS students like myself, felt the program was a good fit (friendly faculty, clean city), while others only had one acceptance. . .

It looks like you were accepted to UIC and are eligible for in state tuition there. Save yourself the money and go to UIC. You will thank yourself in the long run.

I wasn't trying to be rude. It's just difficult question to answer without something to compare to. :) Most of the people that are accepted, choose IUSD for in state residency. Other OOS students like myself, felt the program was a good fit (friendly faculty, clean city), while others only had one acceptance. . .

It looks like you were accepted to UIC and are eligible for in state tuition there. Save yourself the money and go to UIC. You will thank yourself in the long run.
Thank you! Yes of course it would be a little more expensive than going to an in state school but I just wanted to know if it's worth it. I personally wasn't a big fan of the city but I really liked the school and specially their new SIM lab. Also, they offer a DDS degree which means they have more organized lectures. I have two weeks to decide, I guess I have to do more research but thank you for your help! :)

I thought Indiana was so awesome when I interviewed there this past November. IMO they take really good care of you at the interview. There facility is awesome, but not new. The students I talked to were really encouraging, and had great insight into their own program. I felt that they gave me a good review of the program, both the bad and good things. I was out of state though................

The price tag on their tuition is outrageous 400,000 (Taken from the sheet they gave me at the interview).
It was interesting that the administrator who led the group that day acknowledged the high tuition for OOS. He said it didn't make sense to him either...

I suppose I was lucky to get multiple acceptances in my home state. That being said, it would have been hard to decide if Indiana had a lower tuition.

Congrats to those who got in! Those who are OOS, you already know you are going to get an awesome education or you wouldn't be ging there!

Thank you! Yes of course it would be a little more expensive than going to an in state school but I just wanted to know if it's worth it. I personally wasn't a big fan of the city but I really liked the school and specially their new SIM lab. Also, they offer a DDS degree which means they have more organized lectures. I have two weeks to decide, I guess I have to do more research but thank you for your help! :)

I don't think that the signature of granting a dds degree has anything to do with lectures being organized. The trend is east coast schools tend to use dmd whereas dds is usually for west coast and Midwest schools (with some exceptions such as asdoh or uic, who switched from dds to dmd not too long ago.)

Good luck with your decision!! Let us anxious waitlisters know what you finally decide.

I don't think that the signature of granting a dds degree has anything to do with lectures being organized. The trend is east coast schools tend to use dmd whereas dds is usually for west coast and Midwest schools (with some exceptions such as asdoh or uic, who switched from dds to dmd not too long ago.)

Good luck with your decision!! Let us anxious waitlisters know what you finally decide.

It actually has a lot to do with DDS vs DMD. Schools are switching from DDS to DMD because they want to give students a holistic view vs just focusing on the mouth. In order to do that, they have to implement "small group learning" or "problem based learning". That means some days students have to get into small groups and discuss cases instead of sitting in lecture halls and listening to organized lectures. The students will be more active learners vs passive learners. This is the whole reason UIC is starting this new curriculum (DMD curriculum vs the DDS, organized lectures).
I saw in your profile that you are a pre-dent so when you go for an interview and they ask what's the difference between DDS and DMD. Please don't tell them it has geographical reasons.

It actually has a lot to do with DDS vs DMD. Schools are switching from DDS to DMD because they want to give students a holistic view vs just focusing on the mouth. In order to do that, they have to implement "small group learning" or "problem based learning". That means some days students have to get into small groups and discuss cases instead of sitting in lecture halls and listening to organized lectures. The students will be more active learners vs passive learners. This is the whole reason UIC is starting this new curriculum (DMD curriculum vs the DDS, organized lectures).
I saw in your profile that you are a pre-dent so when you go for an interview and they ask what's the difference between DDS and DMD. Please don't tell them it has geographical reasons.

http://www.ada.org/3049.aspx

The American dental association recognizes them as the same degree and the same education.

And your response still does not explain why dmd schools would be "more organized in lecture." I dont think you can discredit a school's education for graduating dds not dmd dentists.

I agree with you that PBL encourages active learning, but I dont think they implemented PBL to become more holistic. PBL is merely a tool to enhance retention, clinical reasoning and apply textbook material to real world situations. According to my interviewers at IUSD they don't even refer to PBL as PBL (they call is something else). I think as a whole, dentistry is turning to preventative medicine, which may be considered more holistic approach to treating patients.

Last edited:
And your response still does not explain why dmd schools would be "more organized."

Yes! The degrees are both the same and there is no geographical reason why some schools offer DMD vs DDS. I was talking about the difference in the DMD curriculum and the DDS curriculum not the degrees. I also said organized lectures which means you sit in a lecture hall and listen to your professor talk instead of being an active learner. You don't need to argue with me, you can go with whatever logic you got ; ) lol I said that for your own good. :)

I agree with you that PBL encourages active learning, but I dont think they implemented PBL to become more holistic. PBL is merely a tool to enhance retention, clinical reasoning and apply textbook material to real world situations. According to my interviewers at IUSD they don't even refer to PBL as PBL (they call is something else). I think as a whole, dentistry is turning to preventative medicine, which may be considered more holistic approach to treating patients.

Well, IUSD does not implement PBL as much as schools that offer DMD programs. They still hold lectures and as the matter of fact when I was there for my interview one of the students, who was giving us a tour, told us that he prefers organized lectures and PowerPoints instead of trying to solve a case with other classmates. That's what I meant by organized lectures. Less PBL, more lectures and organized notes. So, when I was at UIC, students said that since they spend two days a week discussing cases; they don't attend lectures as frequently and thus they don't have organized notes which makes it harder for them to prepare for exams. UIC implemented this idea and called the program DMD. Now, I am not saying that wherever you see PBL or SGL there has to be a DMD degree, I am just connecting the dots. As far as the holistic view, most of these PBL or SGL cases are not even oral related and once again I am connecting the dots and thinking maybe that's their way of having a holistic approach.

I misunderstood the context of your information. Thanks for the clarification.

The dental school I'm attending is DMD, has no PBL and attendance is required.

I believe UPenn breaks all of the rules in this thread. East coast school, DMD and no PBL.

The only DMD schools that come to mind for me that offer PBL on the East Coast are Harvard, LECOM, and UCONN.

I don't know much about Louisville so I am not going to comment on that.
The way UIC faculty explained their new curriculum and their new holistic approach to us, made me make that connection between DMD and SGL/PBL. I also saw this implementation of SGL at Midwestern Illinois which offers DMD vs DDS but not at IUSD. I think every school is different though.

I have never heard that DMD is specific to Midwest or DDS is for another part of the states. That's just not accurate information.

MissDent, have you called anytime this week to check your status? Any changes this week? I got a voicemail the last time. I'm hoping for movement since Nadia got a call a few days ago.

Congrats to those with an acceptance! Good luck to those of you still waiting :thumbup:

Current 2nd year here at IUSD. Follow me on twitter to see how a day at IUSD is. I would also be glad to answer any questions if you want to contact me via Facebook. :thumbup:

Anyone have any updates? Its been pretty quiet lately! Nadia, did you decide if you are accepting your offer?

I just declined my acceptance to IUSD! So, good luck to anyone who is still waiting!

Just got accepted from the OOS waitlist. Was #15 initially.

I'll be giving up my spot today. Someone should expect a call very soon ;)