Indianapolis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

md-student

Has anyone lived in Indianapolis?

I was impressed with the psych facilities there and the massive size of the med center. The one concern I have is living in Indy. It seems like a big enough city, but does not look like a lot of fun.

Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

I have lived in Indy for almost 9 years and can answer some of your questions.

The number one selling point for Indy is cost of living (2 BR townhouse apt for $600 - $700 in a very nice area of town). Indy is also a great town for people who like sports and outdoor activities - cycling, hiking, camping, amateur and Triple A sports. There are some great parks on the outskirts of the city that have swimming, running trails, cycling, and great places to just get away. There are several parts of the city north of the downtown where you can bike into campus everyday using bike paths and tow paths only. There are plenty of bars and night clubs downtown and in the Broad Ripple area (close to a Butler University), such that our class's social chair schedules a different class alcohol outing Q2-3 weeks. There's lots of variety for restaurants downtown, but even more great ethnic restaurants in Bloomington, IN (the main campus for Indiana University) which is 45-60 minutes south of Indy.

In terms of the dating scene, I know several people who found that the dating prospects improved significantly once they networked with people who worked at Eli Lilly, law students, and with people who had connections to the graduation schools down in Bloomington, IN. Definitely need to network a little more than if one was in Chicago for instance. The medical school has more married students than the average medical school and lots of people are native to Indiana and have SO's. I am married so my insight into the singles scene is more limited, but I had an attending on Medicine who managed to fill his calendar with socializing 5-6 nights out of the week. This is a man who would return to the hospital at 11pm on admitting nights to round on any new admissions up to that point, and then head back out to the bars until 2-3 am.

Let me know if there are more specific activities you are wondering about.

MBK2003

Thanks MBK2003,

I really appreciate the input.

I read another post you wrote giving feedback on IU. I see what you're saying...unfortunately on my interview day I did not meet any foreign medical grads (with poor english). Of course, on the web page you can see that there are several. I've heard that they are expecting a pretty strong class this year (of IU students going into psych), is that true?

Also, given the array of facilities, fellowship options, and diverse pt pop...do you think it is a solid program despite the variation in the quality of residents? Is the teaching faculty strong? Would you consider the training there high quality?

Sorry for all the questions, but it is hard to get an unbiased opinion when you're talking to residents and I haven't met any people who have interviewed there.

Thanks...

Members don't see this ad :)
With regard to IU students going into Psych, the number is up considerably this year and most of them will make great psychiatrists (smart, motivated, mature med students). I know that at least 3 want to stay at IU for training, which will be a boon for the program.

With regard to the training, I absolutely love (not in that sense) the chair of the department. He is an excellent clinician, great researcher, and an even better advocate for the careers of his trainees. My interest is research, and I have seen how he does everything in his power to make sure that someone who wants to do research can get the time and financial resources to do what they want. The clinical training is pretty strong and the patient population is very diverse (as you saw). The training in child and adolescent psych during the adult residency is very strong as well. The one downside is that psychotherapy is less emphasized, but this was not different from a lot of other programs that I looked at. Certainly a resident can get as much psychotherapy training as they want, just will need to seek it out.

The teaching faculty is getting better every year, as a result of the chair bringing all his friends and former trainees from Yale to the program. The chair has an ungodly amount of money at his disposal to use for faculty recruitment and retention, so I expect that even more great people will be hired in the next year or two. The other clear advantage that I saw for this program compared to others that I interviewed at was that every attending that a resident worked with was a faculty member of the department and in the past 3-4 years there has been a significant purging of the bad attendings from the inpatient services (even at the VA, no less). Finally, there is a neuro/psych double board program and those residents are very strong.

With respect to the Fellowships, Child is very strong and Gero is very strong. I imagine that in the next 2-3 years they will have a strong Forensics program.

Finally, lifestyle points that are advantages - 1) no weekends unless on call, 2) awesome support staff in the ER (will let you get some sleep if they can), 3) humane call schedule and no call after PGY2, 4) lots of opportunities for easy moonlighting money.

If I didn't want to leave the state for family reasons (both my and my spouse's families are in the northeast), I would be very happy staying at IU.

Hope this helps, feel free to send any additional questions my way. I would encourage you to let the PD know if you are still interested in the program. They have a policy of not letting people know if they are ranking them highly, so don't be turned off by that.

MBK 2003

MBK2003...you're the best. Thanks a lot for the info.

I'm sure I'll rank IU....just need to figure out where.

Good luck...hope everying works out for you and your family!