Industry hiring fresh PharmD grads?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reipharm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I remember seeing a list of all these things a person can do with a PharmD other than retail/hospital. But it seems that pharmaceutical companies only hire people with lots of experience.

Any drug companies hiring new PharmD graduates?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
most get industry jobs after completing a one or two year fellowship.

most get industry jobs after completing a one or two year fellowship.

Exactly. Unless you know someone, that's pretty much the only way to go. I have heard that it's possible to get a medical writing job in industry straight out of pharmacy school and then work your way to the position you really want from there. I don't really see the advantage to that though. You might as well just do the fellowship and get the right training for the right job.

Members don't see this ad :)
I remember seeing a list of all these things a person can do with a PharmD other than retail/hospital. But it seems that pharmaceutical companies only hire people with lots of experience.

Any drug companies hiring new PharmD graduates?
Right now there are hiring freezes and job cuts in most pharma companies, and those that are hiring are usually small and therefore will need seasoned people since they have no resources to train someone. Fellowship would pretty much be the only way to get into industry straight out of pharmacy school. Another option would be clinical residency and a couple years of work experience, depending on what exactly you want to do.

Have you read this thread yet? http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=422094

Given that we are in the middle of a deep deep recession don't count on industry hiring fresh grads. There are just too many people with experience competing for too few available positions.

I'd try to land a residency or fellowship. Maybe an industry residency if you can. That will certainly make your resume more appealing to industry whenever the economy finally turns around. If your goal is to get into industry, I wouldn't waste time in retail or even staff hospital positions unless that's the only option you've got to pay the bills.