Infantry Officer looking at financial options for Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dochopeful89

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I'm looking for loads of information and will suffice to have little given. However, I'm currently a 1LT Infantry officer looking to be in the Infantry for a few more years; hopefully get a company command; and then branch transfer before I fly off to staffland. I'm flexible on the timeline, but I'm also married and have kids. So, I'm not flexible on payment options. I'm the primary and singular wage earner, and it's likely to stay that way through the time I'd like to be in Medical School.

So, I am aware of most of the options and have read through most of the threads on here concerning USUHS and HPSP and HSCP and FAP and Post 9/11 GI Bill (I was non-scholarship ROTC, I only had a 3 year ADSO not paying back anything). So, the real question is: I need to figure out how to get to and through Medical School while making a salary or sufficient funding to live off of without breaking the bank in loans. Obviously, USUHS would be a great fit for me as, by the time I went, I would be at least a O-3 with 4+ years. However, my dream would be to go to Johns Hopkins (I believe pretty strongly I could get in). I've been trying to at least get someone to direct me to the guy/gal who would know the answer to whether or not I could get a similar payment plan as USUHS but also go to a civilian school? Is this even possible? Could I negotiate a non-traditional contract somehow? Is there some other way to pay for Medical School while maintaining a similar level of cash flow as active duty officer? I don't have enough savings or investments built up, yet, to be able to push through 4 years of medical school without a salary or other similarly-sized funding.

Also, tangentially related, if any prior service officer has any idea what kind of people I would need to know or who I would need to contact in the Med Corps and HRC in order to push through a branch transfer from Infantry to Med Corps, that would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

So, I'm looking for loads of information and will suffice to have little given. However, I'm currently a 1LT Infantry officer looking to be in the Infantry for a few more years; hopefully get a company command; and then branch transfer before I fly off to staffland. I'm flexible on the timeline, but I'm also married and have kids. So, I'm not flexible on payment options. I'm the primary and singular wage earner, and it's likely to stay that way through the time I'd like to be in Medical School.

So, I am aware of most of the options and have read through most of the threads on here concerning USUHS and HPSP and HSCP and FAP and Post 9/11 GI Bill (I was non-scholarship ROTC, I only had a 3 year ADSO not paying back anything). So, the real question is: I need to figure out how to get to and through Medical School while making a salary or sufficient funding to live off of without breaking the bank in loans. Obviously, USUHS would be a great fit for me as, by the time I went, I would be at least a O-3 with 4+ years. However, my dream would be to go to Johns Hopkins (I believe pretty strongly I could get in). I've been trying to at least get someone to direct me to the guy/gal who would know the answer to whether or not I could get a similar payment plan as USUHS but also go to a civilian school? Is this even possible? Could I negotiate a non-traditional contract somehow? Is there some other way to pay for Medical School while maintaining a similar level of cash flow as active duty officer? I don't have enough savings or investments built up, yet, to be able to push through 4 years of medical school without a salary or other similarly-sized funding.

Also, tangentially related, if any prior service officer has any idea what kind of people I would need to know or who I would need to contact in the Med Corps and HRC in order to push through a branch transfer from Infantry to Med Corps, that would be greatly appreciated.

With any medical school trip you have to resign your commission and take one as 2LT again. USUHS is your best option to keep your salary. HPSP is available to go to a civilian school, but it doesn't pay the same salary. Relying on one medical school for acceptance is generally not an acceptable option (especially without such pertinent info such as GPA and MCAT to consider). Negotiating a non-standard contract that pays you the same salary but allows you to go to a non-USUHS school is something that I doubt anyone on this board can really tell you about. Your best source for this info is a medical recruiter.

Re: branch transfer. As far as I know the medical corps is only composed of doctors. The medical service corps is generally what non-provider officers transfer to when they move to the AMEDD. I knew someone who had transferred from engineering corps to medical service corps. She was a captain and had to go back down to 2LT.

I figured that might be the case with the medical recruiter. Do you know where or how I could search out a medical recruiter? What department someone like that might be in? I suppose I could ask the retention NCOIC.

As far as the going back to 2LT goes, I know that's the case. However, the best (most important) part about that is I know that you keep your previous pay-grade. So a CPT O-3 who wants to go to medical school at USUHS then becomes a 2LT / O-3. They don't drop the pay back down anymore. That's why I was hoping to do this.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know a former 1st Ranger Battalion CC and West Point grad that had to not only turn down his promotion to Major, he went back to a 2LT. Went to USHUS. Good dude.

Also know a former Navy EOD O-6 that went back to 0-1 to do the same.

Both had families. Both are also very pleased, post-residency, with their decision to attend the school.

the reserve mdssp program gives you 2k a month over your loans.....it's the highest paying after ushus

the reality is, you're taking a paycut to do this...sorry

Don't mean to hijack your thread but have a Q- do you recommend commissioning without taking any student incentives before applying to medical school and HSPS? I don't want a break in service (12 yrs in) but have not commissioned for fear of missing out on HSPS when the time comes to be in med school.

If you take mdssp and strap can you still qualify for the loan repayment (hplrp) and bonuses (special pay program)? Thanks. Basically in what way can I get the most incentives overall. I am not afraid of a large obligation. Could I do just strap and get hplrp + special pay after etc. What combinations works the best? Also, if I join regular guard during med school can I go into strap program no problem?

Pre-med444, the guard is a very viable option. The cool thing about the guard is that benefits will vary state to state since as a guardsman you receive both federal and state funding. Different states have different bennies.

As far as being in the guard while attending med school, it is not realistic IMO. First off you will have to go through OCS, which differs in length depending on branch of service. You will not be able to take a 12 week break in the middle of med school in order to go to OCS. Also, just being in the guard would honestly probably be too much as an officer while in med school. You would have too many responsibilities that I would think would conflict with your time in med school.

I am not 100% on any of the info I gave you though as I was an enlisted active duty Marine, not an officer guardsman. Best bet is to head down and see a recruiter. Best of luck to you and OP in achieving your goal in becoming a doctor.

-CJ

Pre-med444, the guard is a very viable option. The cool thing about the guard is that benefits will vary state to state since as a guardsman you receive both federal and state funding. Different states have different bennies.

As far as being in the guard while attending med school, it is not realistic IMO. First off you will have to go through OCS, which differs in length depending on branch of service. You will not be able to take a 12 week break in the middle of med school in order to go to OCS. Also, just being in the guard would honestly probably be too much as an officer while in med school. You would have too many responsibilities that I would think would conflict with your time in med school.

I am not 100% on any of the info I gave you though as I was an enlisted active duty Marine, not an officer guardsman. Best bet is to head down and see a recruiter. Best of luck to you and OP in achieving your goal in becoming a doctor.

-CJ

Thanks, Do you know anything about taking strap and mdssp together and how that would effect hplrp. I read that residents can do strap and hplrp together, but nothing was said about how taking mdssp would effect this. my goal would be to do mdssp then strap making my mdssp a 1:1 obligation but If this does not allow me to participate in the loan repayment up to 250k at 40k a year it does not seem worth it. Thanks