Infectious Disease + Allergy/Immunology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nymed1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there such a program anywhere in the country?

If not, then let me rephrase the question:

For someone who plans to (eventually) be a lab-based doc (and who already has a spot for a PhD set after residency), which fellowship would be the most appropriate?

My research and interests have been in microbiology and immunology. If I went the route of infectious disease, I'd then go onto Clinical Microbiology. That's another question altogether however.

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY HELP OFFERED!

Members don't see this ad.

Nada?

I've done the basic searches, but I thought perhaps someone on SDN could expedite the process...

Please don't read that as "someone could do the work for me" but rather as "on the entirety of a website with people dedicated to analyzing every path in terms of medical career, SOMEONE may know something I don't (99.99999999999999 confidence interval :) )

Your question doesn't really make sense. You want to do research, even going so far as to do a PhD, and yet you want to do two distinct clinical fellowships. Either fellowship would feed you an abundance of research and clinical niches. Choosing between the two or deciding to do both is going to come down to figuring out what you want to research and what kind of clinical medicine (if any) you want to practice...

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there such a program anywhere in the country?

If not, then let me rephrase the question:

For someone who plans to (eventually) be a lab-based doc (and who already has a spot for a PhD set after residency), which fellowship would be the most appropriate?

My research and interests have been in microbiology and immunology. If I went the route of infectious disease, I'd then go onto Clinical Microbiology. That's another question altogether however.

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY HELP OFFERED!

I can identify with what you're saying, as I share similar interests. I was personally interested in doing combined heme/onc and ID fellowships. Having googled this before, I saw that there were some people who were double-boarded, but my impression was that it was to be even better clinicians - not researchers.

I can't imaging that you would need to specialize in two different subspecialties to strengthen your research. ID is full of immunology anyway, you don't need to get training in allergy/immunology as well - which I believe has more to do with inborn immunodeficiencies and allergies rather than how we can manipulate the immune system to better combat pathogens (that would be more of an ID/vaccine development angle).

Your question doesn't really make sense. You want to do research, even going so far as to do a PhD, and yet you want to do two distinct clinical fellowships. Either fellowship would feed you an abundance of research and clinical niches. Choosing between the two or deciding to do both is going to come down to figuring out what you want to research and what kind of clinical medicine (if any) you want to practice...

Thanks for the response. The question, IMO, does make sense...but I get what you are saying. I'd have to do a "fast track" to realistically go through with a PhD. Let's take that out of the equation altogether. In fact, forget the research.

Allergy, Immuno, and ID are absolutely interconnected so my question boils down to:
Is there a combined program like this ANYWHERE?

I can identify with what you're saying, as I share similar interests. I was personally interested in doing combined heme/onc and ID fellowships. Having googled this before, I saw that there were some people who were double-boarded, but my impression was that it was to be even better clinicians - not researchers.

I can't imaging that you would need to specialize in two different subspecialties to strengthen your research. ID is full of immunology anyway, you don't need to get training in allergy/immunology as well - which I believe has more to do with inborn immunodeficiencies and allergies rather than how we can manipulate the immune system to better combat pathogens (that would be more of an ID/vaccine development angle).

Thanks as well for the response. Actually, vaccine development is of strong interest to me. I thought that would be more A&I than ID, but you see what I mean about the connection of the fields :)

There may be opportunities to make your own program that aren't widely advertised. I know of an A&I program that would accept peds pulmonary fellows (as intrainstitutional applicants) for one year, making them board-eligible in both specialties.